So, imagine this, you ate a perfectly good bowl of rice with your favourite curry. It was delectable. You reached for a second serving and then a third and then the next thing you know, you are here feeling full and bloated. But, that’s not even the problem. The problem comes when there’s an accumulation of gas in your digestive tract and in order to get rid of flatulence, you end up putting yourself in embarrassing positions.
Sounds about something you might actually have experienced, right?
Flatulence or in simpler terms, when you end up farting, to relieve the accumulated gas from your digestive tract is what the entire thing converses to. If you tend to have frequent complaints with flatulence and gas in your digestive tract after eating, this article is just the one you need to look out for.
What is Flatulence?
Flatulence is a condition in which the person experiences accumulation of gas in their digestive tract either after eating or being empty stomach for a long period of time. Flatulence is the occurrence when you end up losing the accumulated gas from the body through the anus.
While there are possibilities of why this could actually take place, the most common ones include the possible swallowing of air while consuming food due to which the oxygen and the nitrogen in the body tend to get accumulated in the digestive tract. Another possible method of gas accumulation occurs when the food that you end is combusted inside the body and that ends up releasing gases like hydrogen, methane, and other gases like that of carbon dioxide.
Check Out These Remedies For Flatulence That Work.
With the array of possibilities stringing on to many, there are chances that this could occur to you any point of time. Almost all the people, at some point of time, have experienced this problem.
Home Remedies for Flatulence
1. Activated Charcoal to get rid of flatulence
While you might be here confused with the possibility of how possibly could activated charcoal be helpful as a treatment for flatulence, it actually is very beneficial in getting rid of stomach bloating as well as the excess air in the digestive tract.
The activated charcoal particles help absorb any kind of excess gas in the tract and relieve the condition by getting rid of it.
What to do?
- Consume activated charcoal capsule when you feel yourself bloated or gassed excessively
Make sure that the dosage is consumed in permissible quantities and not something that could inflict negative impacts on the body.
2. Turmeric to get rid of flatulence
Turmeric has been one of those spices that have been repeatedly used on a daily basis to reap fruitful benefits when it comes to health ailments. Turmeric is believed to help boost one’s digestion (R), the lack of which is considered as one of the primary reasons behind flatulence. Although there are very limited studies that have been conducted in this regard, it is believed that the consumption of turmeric can actually help alleviate the condition associated with excessive gas formation.
What to do?
- Include turmeric as a part of your curries and other cooking forms to reap the amazing health benefits
3. Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of flatulence
Apple cider vinegar has positive implications in treating flatulence. It is one of the most sought after flatulence remedies, primarily because of the fact that it has soothing effects on the stomach. It helps promote proper digestion (R) of the food which is beneficial in treating the condition associated with flatulence. The mild acidic property helps get rid of the accumulated gas in the digestive tract and provides with relief from the discomfort.
What to do?
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water
- Drink this before meal for ensuring a proper digestion
4. Soak the beans to get rid of flatulence
When one mentions gas in the digestive tract, the very first food that they relate the same to is beans. If you had a hearty meal with beans, there are chances that you will end up feeling bloated and induce gas in your digestive tract. Although there are not many studies to state why the same actually happens, it is believed that the possibly high amount of fiber in the beans end up causing a problem in the digestion which then induces gas.
If you want to treat flatulence, ensure to soak the beans before cooking them. Soaking the beans in the water for a minimum of 4-5 hours help in getting rid of the excess carbohydrate that often ends up causing flatulence in the digestive tract.
What to do?
- Wash the beans under running water
- Soak the beans in a bowl filled with water and keep it like that for 4-5 hours
- Strain the water and wash the beans one last time
- Cook the beans like you normally would.
Apart from being an amazing anti-flatulent, it also helps in decreasing the cooking time of the beans which is an added bonus.
5. Chew the food properly to get rid of flatulence
One of the most common reasons behind flatulence is the lack of proper digestion of the food which ends up causing combustion of the food in the digestive tract itself. When you chew half heartedly, there are chances that your food with pass down the digestive tract in big chunks and not get crushed down to simpler pieces.
The big chunks of food often take longer to digest (R) and stay back in the small intestine for longer periods of time, thereby ending up causing fermentation and flatulence.
What to do?
- Chew the food and break it down to small simpler pieces.
- Take time with the food and chew consciously rather than gobbling the food down the throat.
6. Try Probiotics to get rid of flatulence
Yet another amazing way to reduce flatulence is by the consuming probiotics on a daily basis. Probiotics are the group of good microbes that are beneficial in keeping a good gut health of an individual. The consumption of these help in maintaining a proper environment of the gut bacteria which ensures to promote healthy small intestine and thus helps in preventing the formation of gas in the stomach.
What to do?
- Start including foods rich in probiotics to your diet.
- Some of these foods include kefir, yoghurt, tempeh etc.
- You can also opt for the over the counter probiotic drinks to get similar kind of benefits
7. Try herbs to get rid of flatulence
As medieval as this approach sounds like, the consumption of herbs actually have a beneficial place as a remedy for flatulence. Herbs like cumin, carom seeds and anise have their own anti-flatulent properties which are actually beneficial in getting rid of the flatulence and excess gas in the digestive tract.
These kinds of herbs actually promote the process of digestion (R) which is what helps keep the possibility of flatulence at bay.
What to do?
- Chew on some carom seeds and drink water after that
- You can also boil some cumin seeds and cool the liquid and drink it to help reduce flatulence and promote digestion at the same time
8. Take a Walk to get rid of flatulence
Walking is an amazing remedy for flatulence. It not just helps settle the uncomfortable feeling but also helps settle down the food in the stomach which might be the primary culprit behind it all. Walking helps alleviate the condition of digestion (R) which is exactly what promotes in the reduction of the flatulence in the stomach.
What to do?
- As a part of a daily life for a healthier well being, ensure to indulge in some 30 minute walk every morning
- Alternatively, if you are feeling the bubbling gas in your stomach, you can simply take a walk of 10 minutes or so and that should help fasten the digestion process and get rid of the flatulence.
9. Quit smoking to get rid of flatulence
Stopping smoking helps in getting rid of the condition of flatulence, primarily because of the fact that smoking tends to induce the collection of more air (R) into the body. When you stop smoking, the amount of air you are consuming, that’s going inside your body, also lessens to a certain extent, thereby aiding in the process of reducing the possible risks of flatulence.
10. Drink more water to get rid of flatulence
Drinking water can be one of the quickest yet one of the most effective approaches to treating a number of health ailments. It is beneficial in lubrication of the body and also to keep the balance in the body. Not just that, optimal levels of water (R) in the body also ensure to help regulate the overall process of digestion in the body.
Water helps keep the stomach environment the way it’s supposed to be, so, when the stomach environment is not way too acidic and another kind of non-wanted interactions, the chances of flatulence is lowered as well. Hydration is the key to a healthier well being.
What to do?
- Drink 8-9 glasses of water every day to help keep you properly hydrated
11. Herbal teas to get rid of flatulence
Yet another thing or rather remedy for flatulence is the one that lies with the herbal teas. Herbal teas are very beneficial in getting rid of any kind of discomfort in the gut caused because of improper digestion (R) or anything associated with the same. If you have been consistently suffering from consistent stomach issues, opting for tea like peppermint tea or chamomile tea could actually be very beneficial for your health.
What to do?
- Steep a peppermint tea bag in a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes
- Drink this if you feel like your food hasn’t been digested properly
12. Ginger to get rid of flatulence
Ginger is yet another amazing remedy for getting rid of the flatulence (R) in your stomach and GI tract. It is loaded with beneficial antioxidant properties (R) which not just enhances the well being of the GI tract but the amazing properties of ginger helps contribute to the process of digestion as well which is what helps in getting rid of the flatulence.
What to do?
- Steep some ginger in some hot water and drink it
- Alternatively, you can also indulge in some ginger tea to reap similar kind of benefits
13. Mint Leaves to get rid of flatulence
Mint (R) leaves, because of the cooling properties have very beneficial impacts in getting rid of the flatulence. It is very effective in promoting digestion and aiding in alleviating any kind of conditions associated with indigestion which could possibly be a cause for flatulence in an individual.
What to do?
- Steep some mint leaves in some warm water
- Add a teaspoon of lemon to it if you want
- Drink this concoction to treat any kind of possibilities tied with indigestion and sour stomach
14. Fiber consumption to get rid of Flatulence
Fibrous foods in the diet play a very crucial role in the maintenance of the overall well being as well the gut health of an individual. A proper level of fiber in the diet helps in ensuring that your food is digested properly and is beneficial for people who suffer from constipation.
If you are one of those people who suffer a lot because of the impending problem of irregular bowel syndrome or constipation, gradually increasing the fiber intake in the food actually does help in preventing all of these associated problems.
What to do?
- Increase the intake of food rich in fiber, be it through grains or even the vegetables that you try to steer clear from
15. Dill Oil to get rid of flatulence
Essential oils do have their fair share of benefits on treating the condition associated with flatulence. That being said, it is necessary to be very alarmed about its usage and the dosage that you need to indulge yourself in. One of the amazing essential oils that have profound benefits is the dill oil which aids in bettering one’s overall digestion (R), thereby keeping the probability of flatulence at bay.
What to do?
- Mix one teaspoon of dill oil and 1 teaspoon of honey
- Consume this as it is once a day every day for a week to get rid of this recurring issue
- Alternatively, if the taste is too overpowering for you, try and mix this in a glass of water and then drink
What Causes Flatulence?
The causes of flatulence can range from poor dietary habits to an excessive sedentary lifestyle. With all that aside, it is important that one understands the severity of consistent occurrence of flatulence in an individual.
Some of the common causes of flatulence include:
- Swallowing air
- Dietary habits including consumption of gas producing fruits and vegetables
- Lactose Intolerance
- Celiac Disease
- Crohn’s Disease
- Eating disorders
- Dumping syndrome
- Peptic Ulcers
- Autoimmune pancreatitis
What are the Symptoms of Flatulence?
Many people often tend to often confuse the common symptoms of bloating with flatulence which is why it is necessary to ensure that one understands the starking difference in the symptoms to be able to administer the much required remedies for the same.
Some of the common symptoms of flatulence include:
- Increased frequency of passing gas through the anus
- Foul smell and stench of the produced gas
- Abdominal bloating
- Abdominal pain accompanied with discomfort
These are some of the common and regular instances or symptoms that we witness in case of flatulence. If you are somewhere witnessing the below enlisted signs and symptoms, it is high time that you get it checked by the doctor as soon as possible.
Some of these symptoms include:
- Severe cramping around the abdominal area
- Diarrhea and loose stools
- Constipation (all of a sudden)
- Discharge of blood while defecation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain in the right side of the abdomen accompanied with flatulence
How to Prevent Flatulence?
Now that we have come down to the ultimate section of the article, it is time to walk ourselves through the common and effective preventive measures that one can opt for, in order to get rid of this problem.
Avoid foods that cause gas
There are a number of foods, be it fruits or even veggies that have impactful effects in inducing flatulence and gas in the body. Some of the most common types of vegetables that are believed to induce gas and belching in an individual include broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts etc. Not just vegetables, even fruits have their fair share of impacts on the body in inducing gas (if or when consumed in excessive quantities).
If you have a tendency of experiencing recurring signs and symptoms associated with flatulence, make sure to avoid the foods that tend to inflict negative impacts on the body.
Avoid drinking before meals
There are several people who tend to stick to drinking water or any other kind of beverage before a meal thinking that it will help digest their food better. On the contrary, drinking just before you are about to start eating your meal can actually put a stopper to the proper secretion of stomach acids which ends up resulting in an improper breakdown of food.
If you need optimum results in terms of digestion, it is always best to drink anything just 30 minutes before the meals to help keep everything together.
Take your time with the meals
One of the most common reasons behind flatulence is when one rushes through their meals and gobbles everything down without chewing properly. Take your time with your meals and chew the food properly to ensure that you are not just chomping and swallowing large chunks of food.
Doing this often times contribute to improper digestion which results in flatulence.
Adhere to over-the-counter digestive aids
Medicines or even the digestion promoting candies that you get in the market are often very useful in getting rid of the signs and symptoms associated with flatulence. If you are here suffering from any similar aspects concerning the excessive formation of gas in your digestive tract, try and take these over the counter digestive aids for effective results.
Avoid Artificial Sweeteners
Artificial sweeteners are possibly, one of the worst, if not the worst ingredients that you could consume. While the taste of it might be a lot similar to the common sugar that one has, the implications are definitely far off worse.
The sorbitol or even the other forms of related sugar alcohols tend to aggravate the condition associated with flatulence. If you have been consistently a sufferer of gas formation, it is best to steer clear off of these products that can cause adverse effects rather than being an ally.
The kind of discomfort that indigestion brings is not something anyone ever wishes to experience in their lives. If you have been the victim of the recurring problem associated with this, get rid of flatulence with these very easy yet effective flatulence remedies that will actually help make it all better for your overall health.