How many times have you felt some bumps over your skin and mistaken it for a mosquito bite?
Has it happened quite a few times?
If the bump like structure doesn’t go down even after a day, it is most likely that it is not a mosquito bite but a sebaceous cyst.
These resemble a small bump like structure on the epidermal layer of the skin and appear not short but a bit bigger size of a pimple or acne.
The sebaceous cysts are not cancerous and can be healed when treated with effective remedies.
That being said, it is always best to ensure that you administer the necessary remedies to take care of the cyst before it gets worse.
What is Sebaceous Cyst?
The sebaceous cysts are the bump like outgrowth on the skin which are non-cancerous and not life-threatening. These cysts often contain fluid or semi-fluid depositions in them and are primarily witnessed near the face, neck and the torso region.
These may not impose any danger on one’s life but can often tend to become uncomfortable for the person if the same is left untreated.
Majority of the time, the sebaceous cysts are spotted by physical examination by a professional and if the symptoms deem normal, the same is treated with medicine and such.
In other cases, if the cyst appears to have gotten worse, it is often tested for any kind of cancerous growth. It lasts for about a week or sometimes even more, depending on the severity of the issue.
If the treatments and remedies are administered right in the initial stages, there are chances that it will heal soon without getting worse.
In most cases, the sebaceous cysts don’t necessarily hurt but if the symptoms worsen, the same can form an infection which can lead to pain and itchiness around the area which is why it is best to never leave it untreated.
What Does A Sebaceous Cyst Look Like?
Sebaceous cyst, otherwise known as pilar cyst resembles a small smooth bump under the skin which is primarily benign and doesn’t impose any harm to one’s health.
They can often be red in colour and often itch, in extreme cases. In case of a sebaceous cyst, the cyst sac is formed from the cells which are found in the bottom of the hair follicles from where the hair actually grows.
Often times, many tend to confuse sebaceous cysts with lipoma which is a completely different skin problem. Lipomas are embedded deep within the skin and are caused by different reasons unlike those of the cysts.
These kinds of cysts often start off with being pea sized which then exceeds to become bigger if left untreated. They are also sometimes mistaken and confused with the epidermoid cysts which look almost similar in naked eye but are easily distinguishable under a microscope. It totally depends on the cyst sac and the deposition in them that helps differentiate the two.
So, the common characteristic symptoms of a sebaceous cyst include:
- Smooth, small and red bump on the skin
- Occasionally accompanied with pain
- Warm around the perimeter of the area due to possible infection
- Size varies up to 2 cms in diameter
Many people often ponder on the question whether or not a sebaceous cyst can be popped. Well, to clear it out, it is not just as easy to pop a cyst much like how you would pop acne. It can even result in something abrasive which is why it is always best to either opt for the mentioned home remedies or seek professional help to get it removed surgically once and for all.
How to Get Rid of Sebaceous Cyst?
Even though these small little bumps are not life-threatening, it sure does not leave behind a pleasant feeling in a person.
This is the primary reason why sebaceous cyst removal is a must do when it comes to personal satisfaction.
There are a number of methods that can be opted for when it comes to the sebaceous cyst treatment. While, the most common ones include surgical interventions, if you are scared and skeptical of needles and such, it is best to skip it all together and rely completely on the home remedies.
But, below, we have enlisted some of the common preventive measures when it comes to sebaceous cysts.
Some of the common ways to get rid of sebaceous cyst include:
- Cleanse the face and neck region to unclog the pores
- Exfoliate the skin at least once a week or so to keep the follicles clean
- Don’t poke any kind of unsatinised needle into the cyst because it may cause infection
- Warm compress in the affected area works best
- Home remedies that can heal the problem right from the root
Check Out These Home Remedies For Sebaceous Cyst That Work Wonders.
Home Remedies for Sebaceous Cyst
Home remedies are one of the best options when it comes to sebaceous cyst treatment. Why so? Because of the fact that it helps in not just removal of the cysts with ease but also without any kind of side effects.
In order to make it a bit easier for our readers, we have included a thorough list of the best home remedies that work wonders for the treatment of sebaceous cyst.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Aloe Vera
- Baking Soda
- Banana Peel
- Castor Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Epsom Salt Bath
- Witch Hazel
- Warm Compress
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Potassium Iodide
- Tea Bags
- Tea Tree Oil
- Peppermint Oil
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Sebaceous Cyst
Apple Cider Vinegar and its presence in the list of home remedies is indispensable. It is a very versatile ingredient which has a number of benefits in different aspects of health and well being. Even in the treatment of sebaceous cysts, it has proven benefits.
It is the anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties in general that help in healing the cyst. Not just that, it even has astringent properties which help in providing with relief from the itch and redness that’s caused around the area.
- Pour one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a bowl and soak a cotton pad in it.
- Dab the wet cotton over the affected area of the cyst and leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then wipe it away with a fresh cotton pad soaked in warm water.
- Dab with some cold water and repeat the process at least three to four times a day.
- If you have sensitive skin, dilute the apple cider vinegar and then use it.
2. Aloe Vera for Sebaceous Cyst
Aloe Vera’s importance in the treatment of skin problems doesn’t require any introduction. It has proven benefits in the treatment of a number of skin related problems, even sebaceous cysts. If you are looking for good home remedies to remove a sebaceous cyst, aloe vera is one of the best options, if not the best. It has amazing soothing and anti-microbial properties which help in treating the symptoms that come with these cysts. It helps smoothen down the inflammation effectively.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf and get rid of the outer layer and rub the pulp directly onto the affected area of the cyst.
- Leave it one for a few hours and wash it off with water and reapply aloe vera gel over the area.
- Repeat this process twice a day till the inflammation and redness goes away.
3. Baking Soda for Sebaceous Cyst
Baking soda is an effective remedy for sebaceous cyst because of its amazing exfoliating and anti-inflammatory properties. The application of baking soda tends to wash out the pores and unclog them which are one of the primary causative agents of sebaceous cysts.
- For effective results, mix one to two tablespoons of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of water to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area of the cyst and leave it on for 15-20 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water and do this process at least once or twice a day till the cyst fizzles down.
4. Banana Peel for Sebaceous Cyst
Banana peel has good hydrating properties which help in healing the itchiness and redness and scaly skin that occurs because of sebaceous cyst. This is one of the most effective remedies to remove a sebaceous cyst. Even the content of phosphate in it adds to the beneficial properties in the healing process.
- You can either directly rub the peel of a ripe banana over the affected area of the sebaceous cyst or even just scrape the banana skin and add a tablespoon of honey and make a paste of it.
- Apply this on the area of the cyst and leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with water after that for the best results.
5. Castor Oil for Sebaceous Cyst
Castor oil is yet another amazing sebaceous treatment without surgery which not just effectively cures the signs and symptoms but also ensures to restrict the recurrence of the same on the skin. The castor oil has anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties which help in soothing down the bump of the cyst and heals the itchiness and roughness of the skin around the area.
- Apply few drops of the castor oil on the area of the cyst and massage it into the skin.
- Wet a cotton pad with warm water and rinse out the excess water and place it on top of the area where you applied the castor oil.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and remove it after that. Repeat this process twice a day till it completely heals.
6. Coconut Oil for Sebaceous Cyst
Coconut nut oil is yet another variant of oil that works wonders as one of the best home remedies for sebaceous cysts. It has lauric acid as a constituent in it which is very beneficial in treating the cyst because of the anti-microbial properties it possesses. Not just that, even the hydrating and moisturizing quality of the coconut oil helps in healing the roughness and redness that comes with coconut oil.
- Apply the coconut oil on the cyst and gently massage it in.
- Leave it on just like that and repeat this process for quite a few times during the day till the cyst and the inflammation lessens down to nothing.
7. Epsom Salt Bath for Sebaceous Cyst
Epsom salt has amazing anti-bacterial properties which are beneficial in treating the primary causative agents of sebaceous cyst. This helps in the process of sebaceous cyst treatment by drawing out the infection causing bacteria from the affected area. It helps in healing the problem from within even though you are not even ingesting it directly.
- Turn on the bath and add two tablespoons of Epsom salt in it and soak yourself in it, making sure that it covers the affected area of the sebaceous cyst as well.
- Soak yourself for 20 minutes or so and then rinse it off.
- Repeat this process at least twice a day until the cyst heals completely.
8. Potato for Sebaceous Cyst
Potato is rich in Vitamin C which acts as an anti-oxidant in the treatment of the symptoms that come along with the sebaceous cyst. It helps in prevention of further worsening of the condition of the cyst and ensures to heal it right from the root of it so it doesn’t leave behind a possibility of making a comeback. Potato is one of the most used home remedies for sebaceous cyst and provides with actual amazing results.
- Grate a potato and extract the juice of it.
- Apply this over cyst and leave it on for 15-20 minutes till it has dried down completely.
- Wash it off with water and repeat doing this at least twice or thrice a day.
9. Witch Hazel for Sebaceous Cyst
Witch hazel is rich in anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial as well as astringent properties. These, all together, help in cleaning the clogged pores of the sebaceous glands and also cleanse the entire skin to clean any kind of lingering dirt or so. It also contains a compound called tannin which helps to get rid of sebaceous cysts by an elimination of the excess oil from the area.
- Apple the ointments concentrated with witch hazel and repeat this process at least thrice throughout the day for the best results in sebaceous cyst removal.
10. Warm Compress for Sebaceous Cyst
Warm compress is a great remedy for sebaceous cyst because of its multifunctional approach to the treatment of it. The warmth helps in healing the pain that comes associated with the cyst. Not just that, it even helps in encouraging the cyst to drain out the contents of it which further eases the process of healing.
- Take a bowl filled with a bearable temperature of warm water and soak a cotton pad in it.
- Apply this warm compress over the cyst and gently press to let the warmth seep into the skin.
- Do this process multiple times throughout the day for best results.
11. Turmeric for Sebaceous Cyst
Turmeric has held its place as one of the most versatile home remedies and all for the right reasons. This has been used as a natural healing ingredient since the beginning of history. It is also very effective in treating the symptoms that come along with the sebaceous cyst.
The compound Curcumin, which is found in turmeric, helps in treating the inflammation and the infection that come along with the sebaceous cysts. Not just that, it even helps in purifying the blood when you drink it directly with some milk, thus helping further in treating the problem from within.
- There are two ways to get the best of the remedial effects of turmeric on the sebaceous cysts.
- You can either make a paste out of turmeric powder and water and apply that paste on the cyst directly and then wash it off after 20 minutes or drink a glass of warm milk mixed with a pinch of turmeric for beneficial results from within.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide for Sebaceous Cyst
Hydrogen peroxide is rich in “microbe cidal” properties which help in killing the germs and bacteria causing the sebaceous cyst in the first place. It helps in eradicating the infection causing germs and in turn, helps dissolve the uncomfortable bump that often causes a lot of problems for the one suffering.
- Take 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in a cotton ball or pad and dab it over the affected area of the cyst.
- Hold it right over the cyst for a few minutes and then take it off.
- You don’t need to wash off the excess hydrogen peroxide on the skin.
13. Potassium iodide for Sebaceous Cyst
If you didn’t know before Potassium Iodide (KI) is a very commonly used chemical in the field of dentistry. It is rich in anti-septic, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties which is what makes it an ideal compound for the treatment of sebaceous cyst as well. The application of the potassium iodide solution cleanses the clogged openings of the sebaceous glands and thereby aids in healing the cyst.
- Get potassium iodide solution and dab it onto a cotton pad and apply it directly onto the cyst and the area adjoining it.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wipe the excess off with a fresh cotton pad.
- Repeat this twice or thrice a day till all the symptoms wipe out.
14. Garlic for Sebaceous Cyst
The wide range of anti-microbial properties of garlic is not unknown to man. The application of garlic over the affected area of the cyst helps in fighting the germ causing bacteria which tend to prolong the symptoms of the cyst. Garlic helps in perishing the microbes which cause the pus like collection inside the cyst.
- Peel a few garlic cloves and make a smooth paste of it.
- Apply it over the affected area of the sebaceous cyst and cover the area with a sterile bandage.
- Leave it be for 15-20 minutes and remove the bandage and wash off the area with water.
- Repeat this process twice or thrice a day and make sure to use clean bandages every single time.
15. Tea Bags for Sebaceous Cyst
If you are looking for remedies to remove sebaceous cyst while ensuring the healing and draining process at the same time, tea bags are just the one to opt for. Tea is rich in anti-oxidants which help in drawing out the toxins from within the cyst and also, it is rich in tannins which have amazing anti-inflammatory properties that help healing the cyst from within.
- Soak a tea bag (preferably green tea because of high antioxidant properties) and let it steep for a minute or two.
- Apply the soaked tea bag over the affected area of the sebaceous cyst and tie it up with a bandage.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then discard the tea bag and the bandage.
- Repeat the process for three times every week for noticeable results.
Essential Oils for Sebaceous Cyst
Essential oils have a profound effect on the treatment of sebaceous cysts. They heal the affected area of the cyst and help cure the signs and symptoms that come along with it. The beneficial properties of each of the effective essential oils work together to remove every possible sign and symptom that come along with the inception of sebaceous cyst on the body.
16. Tea Tree Oil for Sebaceous Cyst
Tea tree oil, often known as the miracle oil sure has some amazing benefits in treating the various skin ailments. It is rich in anti-microbial along with anti-inflammatory properties that help in curing the signs and symptoms attached with the sebaceous cyst. Application of this essential oil on a daily basis effectively helps to get rid of the bumps and the roughness around the area.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to a teaspoon of coconut oil and apply this mixture over the sebaceous cyst and cover it up with a band aid.
- Repeat this process every single day till the cyst fizzles down to nothing and the area is completely healed.
17. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has a slight astringent property to because of the presence of mint like features in it which helps cool down the area around the affected part of the sebaceous cyst. It also has a number of anti-microbial properties that help heal the cyst completely from within without inflicting any kind of side effects on the body.
- Dab some peppermint oil onto a cotton pad or cotton ball and apply this over the cyst and leave it on.
- You can even use a bandage to cover the area up and leave it on for a day and change it the next day again.
18. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil is valued around the world for its amazing healing properties. It is great for sebaceous cysts because of the fact that it helps in shrinking the size of the cyst and healing it from within. It also moisturizes the skin around the area which helps stop scaling of the skin too.
- Apply a drop of Frankincense oil directly on the skin and massage it in gently.
- Leave it on the skin and repeat the process a few times throughout the day.
What Causes Sebaceous Cyst?
When you are suffering from a lump on your skin, the first thing you want to do is know what it that’s causing it is. In order for you to understand the method of treatment, you first need to understand what the cause behind the problem is. There can be a number of reasons that cause sebaceous cysts, some of which include:
- Excess production of testosterone
- Clogging of the sebaceous glands
- Blockage of the hair follicles
- Excess levels of oil production in the skin
- Persistent waxing or threading
- Enhanced problems with acne on the skin
When to See a Doctor for a Sebaceous Cyst?
In special cases, when you have already seen a doctor for the surgical removal of the cyst, there are chances that some part of it might stay in the skin which causes the infection. It is always best to consult your doctor about it if the sebaceous cyst removal has left behind any kind of infection in the area.
Sebaceous cysts are not harmful for the body most of the times, the only thing that one needs to do is beware of the situation and ensure that it doesn’t get worse than it already is. Tend to them root cause of the problem and try and uproot it right from there so that it doesn’t cause damage to the adjoining healthy cells in the close perimeter of it.