Given the kind of stressful and hasty lifestyle that we lead, there is more than one instance when we have neglected serious issues just categorizing them as something trivial when in reality they could even be something as serious as kidney stones.
Kidney stones might not dig a daunting impact in your mind at the first go but the same can be inflict a very painful experience and often cause severe renal issues that could have been averted if you were a little bit more considerate of your situation.
You need not worry anymore because we have culminated a comprehensive article covering everything about kidney stones along with the natural cure for kidney stones that will help you detect the problem and take the necessary step for effective treatment of it.
What are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones, medically termed as renal lithiasis, are the solid mineral depositions of the salts that primarily form inside the kidneys. They don’t necessarily just form inside the kidneys but can also be found in a few other parts of the renal system, including ureters, bladder or urethra.
The long lists of causes are varying and can be different in different people, depending on their diet, lifestyle and even the level of stress. Kidney stone treatment without surgery is an option if the stone is detected in the early stages and can easily be dissolved and excreted out, if not, the same requires a minor surgery to help get rid of it for good.
If you are wondering, kidney stones are actually very painful to bear and can even inflict negative impacts on the body if left untreated for a long period of time. The primary causes of the kidney stones majorly depend on the type of kidney stone that the person is suffering from.
4 Types of Kidney Stones
Majority of the kidney stones that you often hear about are not just little blobs of any kind of crystal deposition. The same varies depending on the lifestyle of an individual. Depending on the kind of crystal deposition, there are four kidney stone types which include:
This is the most common variant of kidney stone and is often caused due to the excess deposition of calcium oxalate in and around the kidneys. The depositions can sometimes also be of calcium maleate or calcium phosphate.
One of the major reasons behind the same is because of the consumption of oxalate-rich food which ends up reacting with the calcium in the body to form the crystals which are hard to be excreted.
Some of the oxalate-rich food includes:
- Potato chips
- Sweet Potatoes
- French Fries
- Almonds and Cashews
Don’t let the issue deter you because experts have claimed that it is not necessarily the excess of calcium that causes the problem but the excess of oxalate. It is found to be seen that the calcium in the body helps bring down the possibility of kidney stones.
2. Uric acid
This variant of kidney stones is primarily noticed in men who suffer from gout or have undergone chemotherapy in recent date.
This is the type of kidney stone that is caused because of higher concentration of purine in the diet.
These are colourless components that are found in hefty concentration in fish, meat, and shellfishes.
Purines tend to make the urine more acidic which, in turn, causes problems like that of uric acid kidney stones.
3. Struvite stones
Unlike the previous type which is primarily seen in men, struvite kidney stones are visible more in women.
It is caused because of urinary tract infections (UTI) in women which can further cause painful obstruction in the urinary tract or passage.
If diagnosed in the early stages, the struvite kidney stones can effectively be dissolved and flushed out naturally.
These types of kidney stones, majority of the times, arise from an underlying kidney infection, the treatment of which, leads to the natural cure for kidney stones.
This specific variant of kidney stones is rare and can affect both men and women. It is primarily caused to a condition known as cystinuria where the cystine tends to leak from its normal site of secretion to the urine.
How to Get Rid of Kidney Stones?
The list of kidney stones natural treatment is definitely enticing to read and delve into. Many people with a history of kidney stones know the dearth of pain that they have to go through in order to pass a stone.
With that being said, there are even a number of effective home treatments for kidney stones that actually do work wonders to flush out kidney stones fast.
Some of the common ways to get rid of kidney stones include:
- Increase in the water intake throughout the day
- Consistent monitoring for any improvements
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Diuretic drugs
- Extracorporeal shockwave therapy
- Laser lithotripsy
- Micro surgery for grounding of the stone
Home Remedies for Kidney Stone
Kidney stones can easily be treated with some effective home remedies if the process is followed properly and without fail. The list of natural remedies for kidney stone is outrageously lengthy but tends to have impactful results which are exactly what one wants and looks for.
In order to make it easier for our reader, we have prepared a comprehensive list of the common kidney stone remedies that can help pass kidney stones at home without any issue.
Some of the most common home treatment for kidney stones includes:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Banana Steam Juice
- Baking Soda
- Barley Water
- Coconut Water
- Epsom Salt
- Corn Silk
- Water Therapy
- Best Juices
- Gravel Root
- Dandelion Root
- Nettle Leaf
- Basil Leaves
- Best Tea for Kidney Stones
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Kidney Stones
Apple cider vinegar and health benefits go hand in hand. There are literally little to no health ailments that apple cider vinegar can’t treat or prevent.
Experts believe that the citric acid property of the vinegar helps in the successful dissolving of the kidney stone to a considerably smaller size which can then be flushed out easily from the body.
How To Use:
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water
- Drink it every morning before breakfast
- Make sure to always dilute apple cider vinegar and never drink it raw
Repeat this process regularly to not just get rid of the kidney stones but also prevent further development of new ones as well.
2. Banana Stem Juice for Kidney Stones
As we are well aware that every single part of a banana tree is usable, from its fruit till its leaves. But, were you aware of the fact that the stem of the banana plant is rich in amazing properties aid the process of kidney stones natural treatment? Probably not, right?
Well, it does. Banana stem is rich in a number of qualities, from its high fibre content to diuretic properties which successfully help to dissolve and flush out kidney stones fast at home. Not just kidney stones, they help in treating gallstones as well which is definitely an added bonus.
How To Use:
- For making the juice, soak the banana stem in water to soften it
- Blend it to a smooth paste in a blender and pass that through a fine sieve or mesh to extract the liquid out which resembles a faint yellowish colour
- Add a few drops of lemon and half a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt for taste
Drink this either regularly or every alternate days for amazing results. If you suffer from constipation, this is an amazing remedy to treat the signs and symptoms that come along with it.
3. Baking Soda Destroy Kidney Stones
If you are wondering how the same works, it is primarily because of the alkalizing properties of the baking soda, otherwise known as sodium bicarbonate, in chemical terms.
The baking soda helps in alkalizing the highly acidic urine and helps in the prevention of uric acid kidney stones.
How To Use:
- Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and dissolve it
- Drink this twice or thrice daily to flush our kidney stones fast
Caution: Side note, make sure to get your blood pH checked when you are consuming baking soda because even high levels of alkalinity in the blood can impose negative effects in the body.
[More Benefits of Baking For Skin]
4. Barley Water for Kidney Stones
Barley water is rich in diuretic properties which is very beneficial as a natural cure for kidney stones.
It is very beneficial for the treatment of a number of urinary tract infections which are sometimes the underlying cause of kidney stones.
If you are looking for an effective home treatment for kidney stones with little to no side effects to look out for, this is the one to go for.
[Also Read: Barley Tea Benefits for Health]
How To Use:
- Pour a few tablespoons of barley in a glass and top it off with water
- Let the barley soak overnight
- Strain the water the next day and drink it a few times throughout the day till the symptoms of kidney stones subside
Caution: Make sure to keep an eye out on the symptoms and the progress in it and discontinue drinking this if the problem is cured already.
5. Beer is Good for Kidney Stones
While some believe that it helps to dissolve kidney stones naturally, some say that it doesn’t necessarily cure the situation, rather contributes to it.
So, what is the final verdict? It is believed that beer, if consumed in moderate amounts, can help in the excretion of the kidney stones because it makes a person urinate at frequent intervals.
Drink 12 ounces of beer daily till you dissolve the kidney stones naturally or excrete them out via urine.
Caution: Side note, moderate drinking of beer can have positive impacts while excess drinking can negatively impact the body’s functioning and even contribute to the induction of kidney stones in an individual. As beer is high in purine content, it imposes the possibility of formation of uric acid kidney stones if consumed in excess quantity.
6. Coconut Water Dissolves Kidney Stones
Coconut water is rich in potassium which is one of the primary agents that help in alkalizing the urine in cases of kidney stones.
Not just that, coconut water even helps in dissolving the kidney stone, thus promoting an effective kidney stone treatment without surgery.
If you are on the lookout for easy, effective and less daunting natural remedies for kidney stones, drinking coconut water once a day can help you with it.
7. Epsom Salt Cleanse Kidney Stones
Epsom salt is considered as one of the most effective kidney stones home remedies. It works amazingly and helps flush out kidney stones fast, without any kind of added pain or tear. Not just that, Epsom salt is filled with amazing detoxifying properties which comes a lot in handy for detoxifying the excess levels of toxins in the kidney.
How To Use:
- Mix one tablespoon of Epsom salt to a glass of water
- Make sure to stir continuously until all the salts dissolve
- Drink this at one go
- Repeat this process every day once to help dissolve kidney stones naturally
8. Garlic Dissolve Kidney Stones
Not only is garlic vividly known for its amazing antioxidant properties, it is also loaded with amazing diuretic properties which work wonders for the treatment of kidney stones in the body.
The diuretic properties help in getting rid of excess salt or sodium from the body by excreting it via urine. This promotes less fluid pressure on the kidney vessels which is beneficial for one’s health.
How To Use:
- Eat one whole clove of raw garlic every morning, making sure to chew it thoroughly for better results.
9. Parsley for Kidney Stones
Not just that, these also help in fighting the formation of excess free radicals in the body which often affect the body’s functioning negatively.
Parsley also prevents the formation of calcium oxalate in the body which is one of the primary causes of kidney stones.
How To Use:
- Blend a handful of parsley in a blender with some water
- Drink this juice every day until the kidney stones are flushed out of the system
[Also Check: More Benefits of Parsley Tea]
10. Pomegranate Good for Kidney Stones
Pomegranate has been used as a natural remedy for kidney ailments for quite some time now. The high concentration of antioxidants in the fruit is very beneficial in the kidney stone pain relief.
It helps in flushing out the excess toxins from the body along with the kidney stones, if there are any. It helps in the overall improvement of one’s kidney health and ensures to lower the acidity level of the urine as well.
How To Use:
- Drink freshly squeezed pomegranate juice one glass daily.
- If freshly squeezed isn’t possible, opt for the organic variants rather than the ones that are artificially flavoured.
11. Watermelon Flush Out the Kidney Stone
Watermelon is loaded with water and beneficial nutrients which help in keeping the body hydrated which is one of the primary requirements when it comes to the kidney stone treatment without surgery.
It is also believed that the watermelon rind helps to dissolve kidney stones naturally even though there have been no concrete studies to back it up.
How To Use:
- Watermelon juice can be consumed once or twice daily
- Or, directly munch on a few slices of watermelon as a snack
12. Beans Treatment for Kidney Stones
It is believed that the broth from the kidney beans helps to dissolve the kidney stones naturally which is one of the primary ways of kidney stones treatment at home.
How To Use:
- Boil a few cups of kidney beans in a deep vessel pot
- You can add some seasonings if the broth tastes bland
- Strain the broth and drink this a few times throughout the day
13. Grapes Helps to Remove Kidney Stones
Grapes are an amazing remedy as a natural cure for kidney stones. It is rich in water content along with potassium, the two factors that are primarily responsible for the dissolving the kidney stones and pass kidney stones at home.
You can either opt for the freshly pressed juice of grapes and drink once or twice throughout the day or even just simply snack on a bowl of grapes throughout the day to get the noticeable results.
14. Corn Silk for Kidney Stones
Corn silk is the “hair like” part of the corn plant and it has a number of medicinal properties in it. It is rich in diuretic properties which are very beneficial in the treatment of kidney stones and other urinary tract problems. It frequents the urge of urination which helps in flushing out the kidney stones from the body.
Much like a few other remedies, even this doesn’t have a specific dosage which is why it is best to consult a physician for the same before starting the medication.
15. Water Therapy Treatment
Water is one of the primary factors that help with the situation of kidney stones the most. The more water you drink, the more likely you are going to urinate and thus, the more chances of you getting rid of the stones. It also helps increase fluid pressure and breakdown the stones to further smaller pieces so it is easier to flush out of the body.
Experts suggest that it is best to up the quantity of water if you are suffering from kidney stones, preferably between 1.9 to 2.8 liters a day to effectively dissolve kidney stones naturally.
16. Best Juice for Kidney Stones
Now, many experts suggest that staying hydrated is the number one natural cure for kidney stones but there is only so much water that a person can consume before they start resenting it.
In cases like these, juices act as a great alternative. Not only are they hydrating but they induce the amazing nutrients to the body which are beneficial for the overall well being of an individual along with providing them with the required hydration to either dissolve or flush out kidney stones fast out of the body.
Not just that, there are several variants of fruit and vegetable juices that are loaded with antioxidants which are very beneficial in flushing out the harmful toxins out of the kidney and the body on a whole.
Some of the common types of juices that work wonders for kidney stones include:
- Orange Juice
- Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
- Apple Juice
- Aloe Vera Juice
- Cranberry Juice
- Radish Juice
Hydration is one of the most important remedies for the treatment of kidney stones at home.
So, if you are pondering on how much juice should one consume and how much is optimum for kidney stones, it is necessary to understand that it depends on the type of juice you are consuming.
If it’s a fruit juice, you can space out the consumption for two to three glasses a day after every 3-4 hours. If it’s a vegetable soup, reduce it down by one glass, so one to two glasses a day is more than enough to not just imbibe the necessary nutrition but also hydrate your body at the same time.
17. Gravel Herb Root For Kidney Stones
Gravel root has been one of the most amazing herbs for bettering kidney health. There have been proven benefits of this root as a home treatment for kidney stones because of its amazing diuretic properties.
This helps in maintaining the fluid and mineral balance in the body which is beneficial for the prevention of kidney stones and their possible cure as well.
How To Use:
- When it comes to dosage, there are little to no accuracies surrounding it, primarily because the dosage varies depending on the severity of the health ailment and the person who is suffering from the same.
- It is always advised to consult a physician before starting the treatment using gravel roots because much like its benefits there are side effects involved as well.
18. Dandelion Root
Yet another amazing remedy with diuretic properties is that of dandelion root. Known for its beautiful flowers, the root of this plant has beneficial effects in the treatment of several kidney ailments, especially kidney stone.
It is high in the diuretic properties which is what initiates frequent urination in the patient, thereby increasing the possibility to flush out kidney stones fast via the urine itself.
How To Use:
- If the root is directly consumed, stick to 2g to 8g of dried root, two to three times throughout the day
- If it is consumed in capsules, 250 mg dosage for three to four times a day
Side note, Dandelion root interferes with a number of other prescription drugs which is why it is always best to stick to what the physician says. If you are a diabetic patient or have problems with your gall bladder, it is best to avoid this remedy.
19. Nettle Leaf
Nettle leaf is one of the most heard of natural remedies for kidney stones. It not only helps to maintain a proper electrolyte balance in the body but also prevents the process of crystallization in and around the body.
This helps in prevention of the kidney stones and the frequent urination helps pass a kidney stone at home without any kind of hassle.
How To Use:
- Steep a handful of nettle leaves in some hot water
- Cover the saucepan and let the leaves steep for 10 minutes or so
- Strain the liquid and drink this twice or thrice throughout the day
20. Basil leaves
The basil leaves help in dissolving the kidney stones naturally without inflicting any kind of excessive pain or tear. It also acts as a natural tonic for the kidney and helps keep the body hydrated too because of the basil leaves tea that you will have as a remedy.
How To Use:
- Boil some water in a pan
- Add around 6-7 basil leaves and let it steep for 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid after 10 minutes and add some honey for sweetness
- Drink this tea twice or thrice a day for effective results
21. Wheatgrass Helps in Flushing Out the Kidney Stones
Not just that, it is also loaded with detoxifying properties which come in handy for helping cleanse the kidneys too.
How To Use:
- Drink around 2 to 8 ounces of freshly pressed wheatgrass juice every day
- If the fresh juice isn’t available, resort to wheatgrass powder and mix it with water and drink it
It helps in clearing out the toxins and rejuvenating the body by filtering out the unwanted wastes from the kidneys. It also helps frequent urination which promotes kidney stone treatment without surgery.
How To Use:
- Chew on raw celery twice or twice a day
- Drink a glass of celery juice once or twice every day
It is believed that the constituents of the plant promote frequent urination. This aids in helping flush out kidney stones fast out of the system.
The dosage of this natural remedy completely relies on the age and previous medical history of the person. There hasn’t been any standardized dosage instruction which is why it is always best to consult a doctor before consumption of it.
Consuming asparagus can help with the urination, even though it leaves behind a very strong odor to the urine but that’s common and not something you need to fret about.
For consumption, asparagus can be eaten blanched, baked, charred or even in a salad. It is completely up to the person’s preference and likes.
25. Best Tea to Dissolve Kidney Stones
While kidney stones are often caused because of the lack of hydration in the body and tea may seem like a very good option for the treatment of kidney stones, it has its fair share of downsides as well.
Several variants of tea contain oxalates which are one of the contributing factors to kidney stones. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you drink the types of tea that are beneficial for the renal system and doesn’t contribute to the problem even further.
Some of the types of tea that actually works wonder for kidney stones include:
- Ginger tea
- Green tea
- Parsley tea
Foods to Eat and Avoid For Kidney Stones
Diet plays a very crucial role in the renal health, especially in kidney stones. It is often times the lack of proper diet that contributes to kidney stones and it is thus best to know and understand what is good for you and what is not if you are looking for ways to ensure kidney stone pain relief.
If you are on the lookout for ways to avoid kidney stones, what you include in your diet and what you don’t plays a very crucial role in it.
Some of the common foods that you should include in your diet include:
- Citrus fruits and their juices help to dissolve kidney stones naturally which is why they are an amazing kidney stone home remedy. Increase the intake of such fruits in your diet if you are suffering from stones in the kidney.
- Calcium intake needs to be heightened because lack of calcium often times increases the concentration of oxalate which is one of the primary causes of kidney stones. Include good and healthy sources of calcium like milk, cheese, other dairy products, nuts, molasses etc.
- Water intake needs to be heightened because if you want to pass kidney stones at home, you need to ensure that you are urinating more to be able to flush the kidney stones out without any trouble.
Some of the common foods that you should avoid include:
- The salt intake needs to be lowered because the excess salt in the body tends to draw out water into the bloodstream, thereby lessening the frequency of urination which is an important factor for the kidney stone natural treatment.
- Animal proteins like meat, fish etc contain a hefty percentage of purine in it which is one of the most common factors contributing to kidney stones. This is the primary reason why one needs to lower the intake of animal protein to help treat kidney stones.
- Avoid carbonated drinks or any form of fizzy drinks and switch to juices instead
- Avoid food with high oxalate content like nuts, beets, chocolate, spinach, rhubarb etc.
What are the Causes of Kidney Stones?
Now that we have more or less covered the various natural remedies for kidney stones and talked about the diet that one should be involved, let us focus a bit on what exactly is the cause behind these kidney stones, shall we?
According to experts, the primary cause of kidney stones is considered the lack of water in the body. The lack of hydration results in less urination which, in turn, results in the formation of the crystals which later solidify to form kidney stones
- Increase in acidity of the urine also results in kidney stones
- Medical conditions like Crohn’s disease
- Urinary tract infections
- Medullary sponge kidney
- Dent’s disease
What are the Symptoms of Kidney Stones?
Do you realize why the majority of the people who suffer from kidney stones often get it diagnosed in the surgical stage?
This is because many of us tend to confuse the symptoms of kidney stones with that of normal abdominal pain and don’t prioritize it which is why it rolls out to the last stage before one actually gets to opt for the home remedies.
But, that definitely doesn’t mean that there aren’t any people around who have identified the symptoms correctly and reached out to the doctor on time.
Some of the common symptoms of kidney stones include:
- Severe abdominal pain along with pain in the groin region
- Blood loss in urine
- Reduced quantity of urine excretion
- Vomiting, nausea, and dizziness
- Irritation and burning sensation while urinating
- Fever and chills
How to Prevent Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are not a pleasurable experience at all, quite the contrary actually. So, isn’t it better to actually just opt for the prevention methods rather than opt for the remedies when you are suffering?
In order to ensure that you don’t contract the possibility of carrying around stones in your kidneys, there are a few lifestyle prevention tips that can induce impactful effects.
- Concentrate on the proper hydration of the body. It is a must to keep yourself properly hydrated at all times.
- Focus on the diet you are consuming and try and exclude foods that are rich in oxalate or anything that might be a causative reason of the kidney stones.
- Never avoid urination because the same can put pressure on the renal system which is not healthy for the body
- Exercises can help too by flushing out the unwanted toxins from the body
When to Visit a Doctor for Kidney Stones?
Diagnosis of kidney stones itself requires you to consult a doctor. The stage where you opt for home treatment for kidney stones comes at a later stage after the doctor has checked out the vitals and your medical history for an effective treatment for the kidney stones.
If you have been feeling persistent pain along with the other symptoms as mentioned above, it is always best to consult a doctor rather than neglecting it in the first place.
If the problem is in the initial stages, they are remedies to dissolve kidney stones naturally but if the same is not the case, there are chances that it will need a surgery which requires professional experience and assistance.
Food for Thought With Some FAQs
A: Kidney Stones, on their own, don’t inflict pain in their initial stage which is why it is hard to detect the stones in their primary stages. But, the moment it moves around the kidney and passes on to the ureter, there are heavy symptoms of pain and uneasiness which can either be treated with home remedies for it to pass naturally or opt for medical help. Whatever the situation, the passing of kidney stones often is painful and may cause burning sensation while you are urinating.
2: How long does it take for kidney stones to pass?
A: Most of the small stones which measure around 5-6 mm in diameter take a few days to weeks to pass while the slightly bigger ones take around a month or month and a half to completely pass out of the body.
3: Are Kidney Stones Dangerous?
A: Kidney stones might not seem like something dangerous to begin with but the same can be dangerous if left untreated for a longer period of time. Kidney stones are very common in today’s date because of the overwhelming stress and lack of proper diet.
It is very important to get the problem checked out if you have been encountering symptoms similar to that of kidney stones.
4: Can Kidney Stones Cause Kidney Failure?
A: Kidney stones tend to alter the functioning of the entire renal system which is definitely something one needs to be aware of. If the symptoms of kidney stones are ignored on a daily basis, there are chances that you will encounter kidney failure in the long haul but situations like these are rare because of the fact that kidney stones are treated before they get to the most extreme conditions.