How often have you eaten a banana and threw the peel out in the trash?
Every time, isn’t it?
Well, that is exactly where we sometimes go wrong because of the fact that we are completely unaware of the banana peel benefits that are definitely useful for the treatment and remedy regarding a number of health ailments and issues.
The peel is loaded with amazing nutrients and beneficial constituents that put this as a great remedy for a number of situations rather than being dumped into the trash.
If you are still confused as to why banana peels play a significant role in health benefits, this article helps you get a clear idea about it. From the common uses of a banana peel on a face to the amazing unknown health benefits of banana peel; this article holds the key to all your questions and queries.
What are the Benefits of Banana Peel?
We are not unaware of the fact that the banana is jam packed with amazing nutrients and benefits that make it one of the most eaten fruits around the globe. But, the thing that we often tend to neglect is the peel that protects it from the harsh exterior environment.
Banana peel on the face is not the only banana peel benefits that you should be aware of because the list actually drags on to way more than that.
Some of the common banana peel health benefits include:
- Teeth Whitening
- Acne and pimples
- Cracked feet
- Dark Circles
- Genital Warts
- Poison Ivy Rash
- Weight Loss
- Dark Spots
- Mosquito Bites
- Pain Relief
17 Astonishing Banana Peel Benefits
1. Can Whiten Teeth
Even though there have been little to no evidence to back up the claims, there are actual evidence that it actually works.
It is believed that it is the minerals in the banana peels that help in whitening the teeth.
- Rub the inside of the banana peel on your teeth before you are going to brush your teeth.
- Then, brush your teeth with your normal toothpaste and
- Repeat this every day for the coming two to three weeks for promising results.
2. Removes Acne and Pimples
If you weren’t aware before, the banana peel is rich in a number of Vitamins, notably, Vitamin A, B, C and E along with a number of other minerals like manganese, potassium, zinc, and iron which is why the application of banana peel on face inflicts amazing results.
The banana peel benefits extend to the treatment of acne and pimples by reducing the inflammation and redness that is caused by them. It also helps soothe the irritation.
- Cut a piece of the banana peel and gently rub it over the affected parts of the face with acne and pimples and leave it on for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and facewash, if required. Apply some moisturizer to keep the skin soft and supple.
3. Banana Peel Get Rid of Bruises
Healing of bruises and injuries are categorized under the banana peel uses.
Are you surprised and shocked?
Well, let me break it down to you that this actually works and has amazing benefits for healing the nasty bruise that you got in an accident.
Banana contains a good mixture of enzymes, called Bromelain, which is believed to have blood thinning effect. So, the application of it helps better the circulation of the blood underneath the bruise, thereby healing the wound and getting rid of the red patch around the bruise.
- Rub a banana peel over the bruise and either hold it over the bruise or tape it with a bandage to keep it secured in that place.
- Repeat this process till the bruise fades away.
4. Banana Peel for Cracked Feet
Much like ripened bananas, even the banana peel is rich in amazing properties which is beneficial for the treatment of cracked heels and feet. This is one of the most astonishing banana peel uses that actually has been done and tested by a number of people.
The banana peel benefits extend to the healing of cracked feet is primarily because of the moisturizing and skin healing properties in it. It softens the skin and helps heal it completely with time.
- Clean your feet by dipping it in warm water and then rubbing the excess dead skin cells off with a pumice stone.
- Apply the cut piece of banana peel over the cleaned feet and heels.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and let it seep into the cracks.
- Wash it off with water and apply some moisturizer or foot cream after that.
5. Banana Peel Can Fight Cellulite
Cellulite is a part of you and as much as you might get people saying to embrace them, it is not always possible.
So, what’s the next best way? To get rid of them and banana peel helps with the same just as much.
Banana peel on the face is not the only health benefits that this particular constituent is known for. It has amazing benefits in getting rid of cellulite from your body.
The pronounced content of potassium in the banana peels helps with the situation.
- Peel a banana and rub the inside of the peel on the areas where you have cellulite deposition and leave it on for some time.
- Rub it with a wet washcloth.
- Repeat this process every day, twice if possible.
6. Removes Dark Circles Under Eyes
If you have been reading about the benefits of banana peel on face, then, you should be well aware of the amazing benefits that it has on one’s skin.
The banana peel also effectively helps in reducing the signs and symptoms related to dark circles under eyes.
The high concentration of potassium in the banana peels help in getting rid of the darkness along with the puffiness from around the perimeter of the eyes.
- Cut a piece of banana peel and rub it around the eyes in gentle circular motions.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and wipe it off with a makeup remover wipe.
- Repeat this process every day straight till you see visible results.
7. Cures Eczema Rash
Eczema, or the skin disease that leaves red splotchy marks on the skin along with irritation and itching, can be easily accounted under the list of other banana peel benefits.
It actually does help in healing the dryness, flakiness, and redness of the skin that accompanies the issue of eczema.
The banana peel is believed to have amazing anti-inflammatory properties which helps soothe out the irritation and burning sensation that are common symptoms of eczema (R). The health benefits of banana peel are visibly good in this regard because of the moisturizing, healing and nutritious benefits that it has.
- You can both directly apply a banana peel over the rashes and irritated skin for instantaneous benefits.
- Or, you can make a paste using banana peel and a teaspoon of coal tar and then apply it over the areas affected because of eczema.
- It helps with the itchiness and irritation and also provides with a soothing feeling.
8. Removes Genital Warts
Even though there are no solid clinical researches to back up the banana peel benefits on the treatment of genital warts, it would be astonishing to hear that it actually does work.
If you didn’t know, warts are the outgrowth of the outer layer of the skin primarily caused by the human papillomavirus which causes the growth of fleshy bumps on the outer layer of the skin.
It is believed that it is the profound amount of minerals and other nutrients in the banana peel that helps in getting rid of genital warts.
- Cut a slice of a banana peel, the more ripened the better, and rub it over warts and leave it on.
- You can later wipe of the stickiness of the peel with a wet wipe.
- Repeat this process multiple times throughout the day daily.
9. Relives Headaches
Would you believe if I told you that the banana peel that you just threw away in the trash could have been a possible treatment for your headaches?
You would be surprised, wouldn’t you?
Well, I was too when I came to know about it being one of the banana peel uses other than the common benefits of a banana peel on the face.
It is said that placing the banana peel over the forehead aids the skin to absorb more potassium from within the banana peel which provides with relief from a pounding headache. Do this every time you are down with a terrible headache.
10. Cures Poison Ivy Rash
Contracting a rash from being in contact with the poison ivy plant might not seem like a major deal with the aftereffects of the rash can be very painful and irritating, if left untreated.
Banana peels have been deduced as an amazing remedy for getting rid of the signs and symptoms that one faces because of the poison ivy rash.
Considerably, the application of banana peel helps in not just moisturizing the affected area but helps neutralize the irritation and burn that often comes with it.
- Cut a piece of banana peel and rub it over the area of the rash.
- Rub it in gentle motions, ensuring not to cause any tear or lesion which can further cause infections.
- Wash it off after few minutes and add some mild cooling ointment, if need be.
11. Aids in Weight Loss
While you have been gorging down on your banana and throwing the peels away, the banana peel health benefits went to complete waste.
Banana peel on the face is not the only realm of benefit that you need to be aware of because there are so many more to concentrate on.
The constituent of banana peel consists of various forms of Vitamins and Minerals, including Vitamin A, B, and E along with lutein, antioxidants and several other forms of antioxidants. These, all together, help in ensuring an increase in metabolism rate and weight loss simultaneously. It also makes you feel full, which is an added bonus.
- Blend in a few chunks of banana peels in your regular morning smoothie or the same can be chopped up into small pieces and added to a stir-fry that you are planning on eating for lunch.
12. Banana Peels Treats Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids often induce a sense of phobia in an individual when they have to defecate. The primary reason behind the same being the pain that accompanies the process involved in it. While there are several over the counter remedies, isn’t it always best to opt for something that ensures no possible side effects? Banana peel is one such example. Check More Natural Remedies for Hemorrhoids.
The health benefits of banana peel in this regard is owing to the amazing anti-inflammatory properties that it has. It helps in reducing down the swelling around the anal region and helps ease the pain as well.
- You can either rub a piece of banana peel on your hemorrhoids, four or five times a day. Or, you can even cut a piece of banana peel and leave it on your affected area, securing it with a piece of bandage and leave it on overnight.
13. Lighten Dark Spots
The wide array of vitamins and minerals in the banana peel helps in getting rid of the dark spots on the face along with the appearance of wrinkles. The presence of Vitamins A, B and E helps in lightening the unwanted darkness that is often caused around the face and other parts of the body.
Rubbing a banana peel on the face helps in getting rid of the unwanted dark spots around the face which could have been caused by a number of reasons.
- Cut a piece of a banana peel and rub it over the area of the dark spot and leave it on for 20-30 minutes, letting the vitamins seep inside the skin for pronounced results.
- Wash it off after that and pat dry and apply some moisturizer, if required.
14. Cures Mosquito Bites Bumps
Mosquito bites often times leave behind an inflamed and red skin which itches too after some point of time. Although there are no associated issues with it, the same can cause irritability in an individual. If you are looking for easy ways to get rid of it, the banana peel is an amazing remedy.
With its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, banana peel helps in getting rid of the redness and the inflammation around the area. It also helps bring down the irritation and itchiness too.
- Cut a piece of banana peel and rub it over the mosquito bite and leave it for a few minutes.
15. Can Treat Psoriasis
Psoriasis is often a very painful and irritable skin disease that can leave you with extreme ache and itchiness. If you have tried several remedies only to be disappointed with the results, the banana peel can surely help you with the situation you are in.
Even though there are no specific study reports to back the claims on the course of action, it is believed to have worked amazingly on treating the signs and symptoms of psoriasis, as per what the people say. It is believed to be the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which work to treat the redness and itchiness that comes with psoriasis.
- Cut a piece of banana peel and rub the inside of it over the affected part of psoriasis till the colour of it turns to brown.
- Do this at least twice a day daily till the symptoms start to wither away.
- It is the soothing and moisturizing effect of the banana peel that helps in healing the area.
[Also, try to use Essential Oils to Relieve Psoriasis]
16. Can Relief from Pain
The direct application of banana peel helps in relieving pain. It accounts for one the most sought after banana peel uses because of the impactful effects it has on treating the problem. It is believed to be the potassium content in the peel that helps with pain relief but nothing has been concluded for sure yet.
- Rub the inside of a banana peel on the area where it is paining and leave it secured there for 20-30 minutes with a bandage.
- Remove it after that and wipe off the stickiness with a washcloth.
17. Removes Moles
The benefits of banana peel on the face are not an alien concept. The same has amazing uses in the treatment of moles as well. There has been no concrete explanation as to how it works but it is believed to aid in the gradual dropping of the mole from the skin on the persistent application of it.
- Scrape the inside of a banana peel and apply the same over the mole.
- Cover it with a bandage and leave it be for a few hours and repeat the same a few more times throughout the day for amazing results.
Banana Peels Nutrition
Some of the nutritional benefits and constituents of banana peel (medium sized banana) include:
|Nutritional Constituent||Amount Per Serving (g)||Percent Daily Values (%)|
Statistic reference: Livescience.com
Banana peels are not poisonous; rather, they have a completely different impact on one’s health. If you have been consistently reading about the banana peel benefits and wondering about their actual results, it is best to know that they actually do work as mentioned. We have enlisted some of the most effective banana peel uses – starting from banana peel for face to even the usage of it for weight loss.