Nothing in excess is loved by anyone, well, except for money or food probably. The same is the case with the skin tags as well. Skin tags can be a very irritating condition that doesn’t necessarily inflict any sort of pain but the mere presence of it is uncomfortable and stirring. Skin tags removal using the natural remedies has been in the talks, primarily because of the fact that they help get rid of these extra lumps of muscle without inflicting any side effects.
Healing skin tags naturally might seem like a farfetched but trust me, it actually does work and provides with the results that one wishes for. Skin tags are not for you to cut off with a pair of scissors; if you have been planning on doing that, just stop your thought process right then and there.
In this article, I am going to be sharing some of the most effective home remedies for skin tags that can help you get rid of it for good without inflicting negative side effects on your body or even your skin.
What are Skin Tags?
Skin Tags are non-cancerous and non-painful outgrowths which remain attached to the outer layer of the skin. The structure that keeps them attached to the skin is a stalk known as the peduncle. While these kind of outgrowths are common in both male and female, their appearance is more common and pronounced in people who have crossed the age of 50.
Skin tags are comprised of a rich supply of blood vessels along with collagen which is surrounded by a thin outer layer of skin.
These kinds of extra muscle growth can occur at any part of the body, but, for the most part, skin tags are seen to occur in the folds on the skin or the intimate regions of the skin which include:
- Upper back
- Under the breasts
- In between thighs
What Causes Skin Tags?
The causes behind skin tags are very shaded and unclear because of the fact that they don’t necessarily impose any kind of negative impacts on the body. Even scientists and experts fail to clearly state the exact reasoning behind the possible cause of skin tags. That being said, there are some common reason that could possibly be a contributing factor to the appearance of skin tags.
One of the most common causes behind the development of skin tags is primarily because of the excess weight. Since these structures are often visible in the folds of the skin, the excess friction of the skin in obese people might be a contributing factor to the development of the skin tags.
This is more of an assumption than an actual claim, primarily because of the fact that they could very well be because of a number of other reasons. But, that being said, it stands out to be a very probable reason.
Yet another common reason behind the appearance of skin tags is believed to be because of insulin resistance. It was shown in a study (R) conducted back in 2011, that the presence and development of skin tags in an individual was associated with insulin resistance, high body-mass index as well as the increased levels of triglycerides in the body.
Yet another factor that could very well be a contributor to the presence of skin tags is believed to be yet another possible reason behind the appearance of the skin tags. There are limited and non-conclusive studies which are why it is hard to specify whether or not the same is actually a thing or not.
Even pregnancy could very well be a contributing factor to the development of skin tags. It is believed that the sporadic increase in weight along with the haywire in the hormonal balance in the body is what contributes to the process. The endocrine influence in the development of skin tags is still a matter of if because of the fact that there are not many studies to support the same.
How to Identify a Skin Tag?
Many people often tend to confuse a skin tag with a mole when it is in its initial stages. But, that being said, there are certain characteristic features which make this stand out from the rest, the main point of difference being the peduncle with which the entire mass hangs off of the skin.
While some skin tags are very minute and around 2mm or so in size, there are several instances where the skin tag could very well grow out as large as several centimeters in size. While some are smooth and round in shape, there are some which are completely asymmetrical and wrinkly in appearance.
The colour of the tags can vary from pale and skin coloured to darker shades, depending on the kind of pigmentation that affects the area of the skin.
Home Remedies for Skin Tags
Skin Tags can be very bothersome if not treated at the correct time and that too, with the correct natural remedies or the common over the counter formulas. Not just that, there are even people who take up the entirety of the remedy thing with simple hacks that are often either a hit or a miss.
In this section, we are going to walk ourselves through the common ways to remove skin tags naturally without any kind of a hassle (or side effects).
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin Tags Removal
There are no potential evidence of the use of apple cider vinegar on healing skin tags naturally which is why it is always better to either skip this or not have much high hopes about its effectiveness on one’s skin. While there are no concrete studies to back up the claims, it is often believed that the mild acidic properties of this vinegar is what is actually fruitful in skin tag removal at home when used for a longer stretch of time.
What to do?
- Soak a cotton pad or cotton ball in some apple cider vinegar
- Place it over the skin tag and secure the cotton ball with a bandage around it
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes
- Wash off the excess by rinsing it with water
Do this every other day for effective results.
[Read More Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar]
2. Aloe Vera for Skin Tags Removal
Aloe Vera and its skin healing properties are not very uncommon or unknown, for that matter. That being said, for removing skin tags yourself, it is seen that aloe vera sure does have an amazing impact. The combination of the amazing antioxidant (R) as well anti–inflammatory (R) properties is what helps contribute to removal of these pesky muscle lumps.
What to do?
- Cut open an aloe vera leaf and scoop the pulp out
- Apply this on the skin tags in generous amounts
- With gentle fingers, rub it into the skin so it completely seeps into the skin
- Alternatively, if you don’t have access to aloe vera plant, use the over the counter aloe vera gels
- Repeat this 3 times daily straight for two weeks.
3. Banana Peel for Skin Tags Removal
Banana Peels are loaded with certain acids and even enzymes (R) which have beneficial impacts in the removal of warts from the body. This combination of enzymes and the mild acidic properties along with the potassium is what helps to remove skin tags naturally as well. While the idea might seem like a bit farfetched, it actually isn’t because of the fact that it actually does work.
What to do?
- Cut the peel of the banana into a small square that will cover the skin tag
- Apply this over the skin tag, making sure that the inside fibrous part of the peel is touching the tags
- Secure the peel with a bandage and leave it on for an hour
- Do this daily till the skin tag completely falls off.
4. Baking Soda for Skin Tags Removal
The application of baking soda for skin ailments have been in the talks for quite some time now. The combination of antimicrobial, as well as pH balancing (R) properties of the baking soda, (R) is what helps the skin tag to fall off naturally. Many people often tend to source ways for cutting off skin tags and that is exactly where one goes wrong. Never try to cut off the skin tag because of the fact that they have blood vessels attached to them which can often result in blood loss which is definitely not something you want or can afford.
What to do?
- Mix ½ tablespoon of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of castor oil to make a smooth paste
- Apply this on the skin tag and let it sit there for 1-2 hours
- Make sure to keep it on till it dries out completely
- Once every day.
5. Duct Tape for Skin Tags Removal
The usage of duct tape as one of the remedies to remove skin tags is primarily because of the fact that it helps in prohibiting the blood flow around the structure and constricts the blood flow which is what ends up making the skin tag fall off from being attached to the skin.
That being said, it is also seen that there are some cons to the process as well, primarily because of the fact that the duct tape is more of a hack than an actual treatment. If you are someone with a sensitive skin or have infections and allergies on your skin, it is best to stay away from this specific hack.
What to do?
- Cut a piece of duct tape and apply it on the skin tag
- Make sure to smoothen it out completely to ensure that there is no space for air to enter the area
- Leave it on till the duct tape starts peeling off of the skin
- It takes some time before you end up seeing the results, so make sure you do it till you get the desirable results.
6. Garlic for Skin Tags Removal
Yet another amazing thing about garlic is the fact that it possesses effective antibacterial (R) and antifungal (R) properties which interacts with the excess dangling skin tag on the surface of the skin to make sure it completely falls off after multiple applications of it.
The active compound in the garlic, allicin, is what possesses these properties that pose garlic as a potent remedy for getting rid of skin tags.
What to do?
- Peel a few garlic cloves
- Make a smooth paste out of it
- Apply a thin layer of the garlic on the skin tag
- Leave it on for 1 hour
- Wash it off completely to get rid of the remnants
- Do this every day till the skin tag falls off.
7. Fingernail Polish for Skin Tags Removal
While the mention of nail paint to get rid of skin tag might be a very superficial, it is necessary to understand for a fact that the same works wonders for getting rid of skin tags effectively. Much like the theory behind the usage of duct tape for skin tag removal, even the nail polish works in a similar kind of way.
The application of nail polish on the skin tag tends to cut off all the blood supply which not just prohibits from growing any further but also ensures to make it fall off of the skin, thereby causing it detach without any kind of side effects. Much like the duct tape hack, even this doesn’t have much or any kind of scientific evidence to back the claims up which is why it is always best to steer clear off of this if you have sensitive skin or have allergies in that area.
What to do?
- Use a clear and transparent polish for this because that’s possibly the safest option
- Apply it all over the skin tag in generous amounts and let it dry there
- Do this 2-3 times everyday till the skin tag completely falls off.
8. Potato For Skin Tags Removal
Potatoes have amazing beneficial properties with respect to healing skin tags naturally. While you might be here fretting about the common norms of what or how exactly a potato would work, it is because of the effective astringent properties that help in getting rid of the skin tags.
The application of potato ends up drying the skin tag which is what helps in getting rid of it for good by detaching itself off of the body.
What to do?
- Cut a potato is thick round slices
- Apply this on the area of the skin tag and secure it with a bandage
- Remove this after an hour or so
- Do this twice daily for effective results.
9. Vitamin E Capsules For Skin Tags Removal
Vitamin E is not just an amazing component for healing the skin from within, it is also very beneficial for the healing of skin tags (R) naturally mainly because of the antioxidant properties which help get rid of it for good.
It also has skin healing (R) and regeneration properties which help get everything together without necessarily hampering the overall skin.
What to do?
- Cut open the vitamin E oil capsule
- Pour the oil on your palm and apply that over the skin tag
- Secure the same with a bandage and keep it on
- Do this twice a day for 10 days straight.
10. Ginger For Skin Tags Removal
Ginger is loaded with a wide range of bioactive compounds which have beneficial impacts on skin healing, regeneration and also to remove skin tags naturally. Not just that, the application of ginger also gets rid of any kind of microbial growth (R) that could possibly cause infection in and around the area of the skin tag.
What to do?
- Clean the area around the skin tag with water and clean cloth
- Apply the juice of ginger on the area and leave it to dry
- Don’t wash it off after and let that seep into the skin naturally
- Do this 4-5 times daily till you see the results
11. Bloodroot for Skin Tags Removal
This is yet another herb that is considered best way to get rid of skin tag for good. The herb is not widely available and is native to America and Canada but has amazing benefits in getting rid of the skin tags effectively. The primary way by which bloodroot works is by cutting off the blood circulation in and around the skin tag which makes it fall off the skin.
What to do?
- Prior to application of the bloodroot paste, you need to clean the area completely
- Use a cotton ball and dip it in some hydrogen peroxide and clean the area around the skin tag
- Apply the paste of the bloodroot over the skin tag
- Wrap a bandage around it to secure the paste on the skin tag
- Leave it on for a few hours
- Wash it off after that and repeat this 3-4 times a day. Make sure you just change the bandage in regular intervals.
- 3-4 times a day for 3 days straight.
Side Note: Make sure that the bloodroot paste that you are purchasing online or anywhere in a store doesn’t contain any kind of extra components in it except for the bloodroot powder and water. Accessory components can often aggravate the skin.
12. Aspirin for Skin Tags Removal
The application of aspirin on the skin tag actually does help in getting rid of it for good. The compound acetylsalicylic acid (R) which is present in aspirin is beneficial in treating the skin tags by shrinking them and drying them out.
Once the skin tag shrinks and dries out, the blood supply to it is cut down as well which is what ends up making it fall off of the skin.
What to do?
- Crush the aspirin tablet in a mortar and pestle
- Add some water to it to make a smooth paste
- Apply the paste on the skin tags and leave it on till it dries out completely
- Wash it off once it has dried completely
- Once or twice daily.
13. Witch Hazel for Skin Tags Removal
Yet another amazing remedy for the removal of skin tags is with the witch hazel. Witch Hazel has amazing astringent as well as pH balancing properties which helps in shrinking the skin tags and helps then fall off the skin naturally without inflicting any kind of side effects on the skin or one’s health for that matter.
What to do?
- Pour a few drops of the witch hazel extract on the skin tag and let it dry out
- Repeat this process 3-4 times daily for effective results.
Skin tags removal is often a tough nut to crack, primarily because of the fact that these are either tightly bound to the skin or the remedies used are often not even close to enough for getting rid of the skin tags. That being said, these above mentioned home remedies for skin tags are actually fruitful in providing you with the kind of results that you are seeking in order to get rid of the extra lump of muscle on your body.