Apart from providing nice relaxation to your muscles, stretching your body also helps in regulating blood circulation in the body, according to the experts. There is the reason behind animals stretches their entire body before as well as after having a good sleep. It is important to stretch your muscles to remove any contraction between them, which can result into bloating, experts say.
There is nice availability of stretches to do before bedtime, which you can consider to have a great night’s sleep. Doing these stretches before going to bed will also help you in attaining complete relaxation. According to various studies most of the health problems occur due to absence of quality sleep. Performing this stretches will help you in getting good sleep as it will throw off all the stress of your work. These easy to do stretches will also help you in keeping yourself fit.
We have made a list of important stretches which you should try before going to bed for complete relaxation.
Stretches to do before bedtime
1. Spinal twist
This simple stretching exercise helps in relaxing your lower back and is extremely easy to do on the bed.
- Lie down on your back on the bed.
- Keep your knees closer to your chest and cross them to the right side of the body.
- Place your left hand in “T” position on the bed and extend it further.
- Make sure you have placed your hand on the opposite side of your legs.
- Hold the position for around 30 seconds.
- Bring yourself back to the normal position and do the same for other side.
2. Knee hug stretch
This easy stretching exercise provides some effective lower back stretch.
- Lie on your bed on your back.
- Keep your legs extended.
- Bring your right knee towards your chest.
- Keep your left leg relaxed in a comfortable position.
- With the help of your hands clasped around your shin pull your shoulder up and your leg closer to the chest.
- Give it a proper stretch. This will help in releasing tension in your shoulders as well as neck.
- Hold this position for a while and then bring yourself back to normal.
- Repeat the procedure for your other leg as well.
3. Happy baby
This simple but effective stretching exercise helps in relieving stress from your lower back as well as hip area.
- Lie on your back on the bed.
- Bend your knees and bring them closer to chest.
- Hold your feet with your hands. Make sure your hands are stretched upwards.
- Try to pull your knees towards the floor beside your chest.
- Ensure that your head as well as shoulders are relaxed.
- Hold the position for around 30 seconds and then return to the normal position.
This stretching exercise helps in providing relaxation to your abdomen, chest as well as neck muscles. It also helps in increasing the flexibility of your spine.
- Lie down on your stomach and place your hands beside your head like a push-up position.
- Keep your hands at the chest level and push your torso up.
- Ensure that you bend your elbows a bit while lifting your torso.
- Hold the position for around 30 seconds.
- This will help in providing more stretch to your neck as well as chest muscles.
- Bring yourself back to the normal position as you gently lower your torso down.
This exercise is considered as ideal for providing stretch to your neck, spine, chest as well as shoulders.
- Lie on your back and keep your legs extended.
- Lift your upper back as well as head off the bed and support your torso with the help of elbows lying flat on the bed.
- Tilt your head back and provide a good stretch to it.
- This will help in relaxing the muscles in spine, neck as well as shoulders.
- Hold the position for around 30 seconds and then return back to the normal position.
This is great exercise which provides better stretch and relaxation to muscles in lower back as well as hips.
- Sit on the bed and bend your need parallel to the floor.
- Make sure that soles of your both the feet touch each other.
- Rest your hands on the elbows which are placed on the legs and lean forward as much as you can.
- Hold this stretch for around 30 seconds and then bring yourself back to the normal position.
7. Cow or cat
This exercise helps in strengthening your core as it provides stretch and relaxation to your spine as well as abdominal muscles.
- At first keep your knees as well as your palms on the bed.
- Make sure that both of your hands are under your shoulder.
- Push your abdomen towards the ceiling and bring your head toward the bed between your hands.
- Hold the position for a while.
- Then, arch your lower back down and lift your face up.
- Be in this position for few seconds.
- Repeat the procedure continuously.
- Do it for 10-15 repetitions.
8. Sleeping swan
This exercise is helpful in providing better relaxation to your nervous system. Apart from this, it also helps in providing better relaxation to neck, back, shoulders, hips as well as legs. To do this exercise better you will need a pillow.
- Sit on the bed with placing a pillow in front of you.
- Bend your right knee as your sole of the right foot come under your left inner thigh.
- Extend your left leg as you lift your butt in the air.
- Now place your head on the pillow as you come forward from your hips and extend your arms further.
- Make sure that your hand are slightly bed from your elbows.
- Hold this position for 10-12 breaths.
- Return to the normal position and do the same with other side.
9. Rag doll
This exercise helps in providing better stretch to your back, shoulders, neck as well as hips.
- Stand on your feet with the distance of hip.
- Make sure that your knees are slightly bend.
- Keep your left hand on the right elbow and right hand on the left elbow.
- Bend down from your hips and let your arms as well as head hang down.
- Hold this position for a while and return back to the original position.
Also Read: 7 Good Ways To Relieve Stress Naturally
By Prajakt K.