Itchy breast is a common health problem which is experienced by almost every women at some point of time in their life. There are numerous reasons through which you can cause the problem of itchy breast. Some of the common symptoms of the itchy breast include skin irritation as well as discomfort. Sometimes, it has been found that the problem of itchy breast might also trigger the most severe health condition, breast cancer, which can even prove fatal.
Here, we have tried to provide all the important factors which are associated with the problem of the itchy breast along with its various causes. Read on to get full details about treating the problem with the help of some of the effective natural remedies.
What are the causes of itching breast?
As mentioned earlier, there are numerous causes of the condition of the itchy breast as well as nipples. A most common condition is known as atopic dermatitis, which is also known as eczema as well as the inflammation of the skin. However, the exact cause of itchy breast is still unknown. Breast eczema may trigger itching, dry skin, and rash on the breasts.
Some of the major factors which may complicate the problem of itchy breast even more includes,
- Wool fibers
- Artificial fibers
If you are pregnant, then you will likely cause with an itchy breast. According to the experts, it erupts due to the enlargement of breasts during pregnancy. This may also result in the stretching of skin which may trigger flaking as well as itching. The problem of dry skin can also cause the itching on your breasts.
A breast tissue infection, which is also known as mastitis is an another reason behind the cause of breast itching. The new breastfeeding mothers are at the biggest risk of causing the disease. The problem of mastitis may cause due to the blocked milk duct as well as the exposure to the harmful bacteria. Other important symptoms of mastitis, which you should not ignore includes,
- Burning sensation or pain while breastfeeding
- Tenderness in breasts
It has also been found that itching of breast might also be the problem of a certain severe medical condition, although it is very rare. Paget disease, which is considered as one of the rarest cause of cancer may trigger the condition of the nipple as well as breast itching. The cancerous tumor forms in the breast in this condition and the itching, usually, affects nipples. At the early stage the symptoms of paget disease are similar to eczema, hence it is important to carry out the tests for proper diagnosis. The symptoms of Paget disease includes,
- Flattened nipple
- Lump formation in breast
- Nipple discharge
- Sudden skin changes on the breast and nipple
Apart from this, itchy breast might also be one of the signs of breast cancer or inflammatory breast cancer. It is important to look out for the changes in the texture of the breast.
How to Treat Itchy Breast?
Consumption of certain antibiotics is always recommended by the doctors to treat the problem of the itchy breast due to mastitis. It is always important to finish the full treatment to prevent the recurrence of the infection. Some of other major steps which may be recommended by your doctor to treat the condition include,
- Consumption of lot of fluids
- Consuming over-the-counter pain relievers
The condition of Paget disease as well as breast cancer, which are the severe health conditions is treated with the help of various other treatments. These treatments include,
- Removing the portion of breast surgically
Chemotherapy, as well as radiation, is highly effective to eliminate or reduce the cancerous cells in the body.
Best Natural Home Remedies for the Itchy Breast?
You can also try some major natural home remedies to treat the condition of itchy breast. Some effective natural remedies are listed below.
1. Cold compress
Even though applying the cold compress on the breast makes the skin around your breast area drier, cold compress is also highly effective on reducing the symptoms of itchy breast as well as the skin inflammation around the breast.
- Take a clean cloth
- Put some ice on it and make an ice pack.
- Place the ice pack on the breast for 8-10 seconds.
- To prevent frostbite, make sure you are breathing properly
Sometimes the condition of an itchy breast may also cause due to the chemicals which are stuck to your chemicals while washing with the detergents. You can use vinegar to get rid of these chemicals from your clothes. Along with this, you can also use vinegar to get rid of itching on other parts of the body as well.
- Mix some vinegar into hot water
- Clean your clothes, such as your underwear, to get rid of the chemicals.
- Dry the washed clothes well so that you can keep yourself away from allergic reactions.
3. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is one of the most common as well as effective treatment to get relief from various skin problems due to its various skin-friendly benefits. Along with using it on hair, you can also use coconut oil to get rid of itching breast.
- Apply some coconut oil on the skin of your breast
- Massage it gently to help the skin absorb the coconut oil
- Repeat the method for few more days to get most of the benefits
4. Keep yourself hydrated
Not drinking enough water is considered as one of the common problem behind the causing of various skin diseases such as dry skin. Drinking of water is, therefore, highly essential not only for overall health but also to protect your skin, which is the largest organ of your body.
- Usually, it is important to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day. However, if you are more active, it is recommended to raise the water consumption even more.
- Protect the moisturization on your skin with the help of a humidifier.
- Increase the consumption of soups as well as broths to increase the liquid intake in your body, which is helpful in protecting skin hydration.
You will see cornstarch mixed in various powders as it contains the ability to get rid of sweat. Sweat is one of the common reasons behind making the skin irritated. However, It is important to make sure that the skin should be dried before applying the cornstarch on it.
- Wash and clean the breast skin properly.
- Apply some cornstarch on the affected area.
- Repeat the method twice each day to keep the sweat away from the sweat as well as allergies.
6. Jojoba oil
One of the common reason of eruption of an itchy breast is due to the penetration of harmful bacteria as well as sweat. The use of jojoba oil is highly helpful in getting rid of skin irritation. This is also highly helpful in stopping the infection from spreading.
- Just apply some jojoba oil on the breast skin before wearing your underwear such as brassiere.
- Apply the oil for 2-3 times every day till you get the complete relief from the skin irritation.
Final notes on itchy breast
Although itchy breast has not been considered as a severe health issue, it may trigger the serious medical condition in the body and therefore it is highly important to prevent the development of skin irritation in the body. Some of the tips which will help you in preventing the problem of an itchy breast are listed below.
- Alternating the breast while breastfeeding
- Alternating the position while breastfeeding
- Always make sure that your baby is emptying the milk from one breast before switching to other.
- If you have any problem seek the help of expert lactation consultant for a proper body to stay away from breast problem.