Even though the gas is considered as a normal part of the digestion and normal man passes gas between 13 to 21 times per day, it may also cause pain as well as discomfort if the gas starts to accumulate in the intestines and it becomes difficult to eliminate from the body. It is important to know the causes as well as symptoms of gas formation before getting to know how to get rid of gas.
Gas may form due to the causes which may cause diarrhea as well as constipation. Some of the major factors which may cause gas are overeating, smoking, chewing gum, swallowing air while drinking and eating or the consumption of certain foods.
Here we have tried to provide all the information about the gas formation in your body. Read on to get full details about the foods which you should consume to get rid of gas along with some of the best home remedies.
What are the causes and symptoms of gas?
What are the Symptoms of gas?
Some of the major symptoms of gas are listed below.
Even though the burping is considered normal after consuming meals, uncontrolled burping or belching can be caused due to swallowing air and releasing it before it enters in your stomach.
2. Passing Gas
Another common symptom of gas is passing it beyond its limits. This is also a sign of indigestion.
Bloating is caused due to the fullness as well as swelling in your abdomen. This may appear after or during having a meal.
4. Discomfort or Pain in Discomfort
The pain, as well as discomfort, may erupt in your abdomen when the disturbances arise in moving the gas from intestines properly.
What are the Causes of Gas
Some of the major causes of gas are as follows.
1. Air Swallowing
One of the most common causes of gas formation is the swallowing of air. This results in the breaking down of undigested foods by the bacteria in large intestines. You may also cause gas through the consumption of certain foods and be swallowing of air in your digestive tract.
Although we all swallow a little bit of air while eating or drinking, you may swallow air beyond its limits while,
- Chewing gum
- Sucking hard candy
- Eating or drinking quickly
- Consumption of carbonated or fizzy drinks
- Loose-fitting dentures
The gas which cannot pass through burping travels into the intestines and pushes towards the anus.
2. Bacteria in Large Intestines
The small, as well as large intestines, does not digest some foods completely such as sugars, fiber as well as starches. These undigested carbohydrates pass through your large intestines, contains some bacteria. These bacteria trigger the breaking down the carbs which produces gas.
3. Certain Foods
Consumption of certain foods causes the formation of gas in the body. Some of the major foods which trigger the gas production in the body are as follows.
- Kidney beans
- Pinto beans
- Ice cream
- Whole Wheat
- Pear juice
- Apple juice
- Corn syrup
- Fructose-rich foods
- Carbonated drinks
- Salad dressings
- Particular types of fiber
- Dietary supplements
How to Get Rid of Gas with Natural Remedies?
The major home remedies to treat the problem of gas formation in the body are listed below.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used in the treatment of indigestion and it is also effective on gas. Along with soothing the stomach, it also helps in providing immediate relief. You can also try regular vinegar if apple cider vinegar is not available.
- In a glass of warm water add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Let the water to cool and then consume it.
Buttermilk mixed with black salt as well as carom seeds is an amazing Ayurvedic remedy to get relief from flatulence as well as gas.
- In a cup of buttermilk, add some carom seeds as well as black salt. You can also use celery seeds if carom seeds are unavailable.
- Drink the solution.
3. Lemon With Baking Soda
Mixing lemon along with baking soda helps in making an effective antacid, which proves highly effective in countering gas.
- Squeeze some lemon juice and add some lemon juice to it.
- After the fizzing, add some more baking soda along with a cup of water until the baking soda dissolves completely.
- Drink the solution slowly.
- You can also add a small amount of baking soda in the warm water and drink the solution.
Garlic is highly effective in stimulating the gastric fire and helps in getting relief from the stomach gas.
- Consume the garlic soup made with fresh garlic to get proper digestion. Use of fresh garlic is always important to get most of the benefits.
- Alternatively, add some garlic to the water and boil it. Add some cumin seeds along with black pepper into it. Strain the liquid and let it cool to the room temperature.
- Consume the liquid 2-3 times every day to get instant relief.
Fennel is also an amazing home remedy in providing quick relief from gas as well as bloating.
- Simmer some fennel seeds in a hot water pot on a low temperature.
- Strain this liquid and then consume it.
- It is also recommended to chew some fennel leaves.
- Prepare a concoction of fennel, cardamom as well as mint leaves by boiling them together in the water and drink it to get relief from the stomach gas.
What Foods To Eat To Get Rid Of Gas?
Some of the effective foods which work well in treating gas are listed below.
1. Dandelion Greens
Dandelion greens, an amazing bitter herb is considered helpful in providing relief from bloating as well as gas. It is packed with various helpful bloating-countering nutrients. It is also a diuretic and flushes out the excess water from the body. According to the experts, dandelion greens are helpful in preventing gas by increasing the stomach acid production as well as stimulating digestion.
2. Papaya and Pineapple
Along with the ability to breakdown, the proteins in the meat, pineapple as well as papaya are also helpful in providing proper digestion. Experts says that one of the main reason behind the feeling of bloating as well as fullness is the time to break down the proteins. Papaya as well as pineapple works really well in the digestion and breaks down the protein quickly.
The fermented milk of sheep, cow as well as goat, which is also known as kefir, is highly popular across the globe due to its various health benefits. According to the experts, kefir is also an amazing food to keep you bloat-free. It contains three times more healthy bacteria than yogurt. These bacteria are helpful in breaking down the food and the prevention of building up of gas.
Another useful remedy to remove gas from the body is to use a lot of spices while preparing food. Add some of the amazing spices such as black pepper, rosemary, cardamom, basil, coriander, cloves etc. in your diet to prevent gas formation. It is also helpful in countering bloating.
5. Chamomile Tea
Regular consumption of chamomile tea is also highly helpful in preventing the gas formation as well as bloating, according to the experts. It is recommended to drink chamomile tea around 15-20 minutes before having meals. It provides some great results and hence recommended by various experts.
Tips for Gas Prevention
It is always recommended to prevent the production of gas in the body by making some effective lifestyle changes. Some of the major tips which you may consider in treating the problem of gas are listed below.
- Always eat each meal slowly by sitting down.
- Avoid swallowing too much air while eating or talking
- Avoid gum chewing
- Do not smoke
- Avoid the consumption of carbonated beverages as well as soda
- Do not consume foods which cause gas
- Do not drink with the help of straw
- Do smart exercises such as taking a walk after having a meal or performing routine workouts.