Imagine being served with your favourite food on a big round plate and your inhibition to eating let loose. It is nothing but a spewing recipe of trouble for your health. This is exactly what happens when you start to feel an uneasiness around your stomach. Improper digestion is what causes stomach bloating. Bloated stomach, if the situations are not ghastly, often times result because of formation of gas in the abdomen. It is always best to reach out to a professional if the situation persists and doesn’t mellow even 24 hours or so.
Most of the people who have experienced stomach bloating describe it as a tight and swollen feeling around the stomach. If the level of indigestion is severe, there are chances that you will endure pain because of the bloated stomach.
What is Bloating?
Bloating is basically nothing but the distension of the abdominal walls near the stomach region in a human body. This primarily occurs when the passage of small intestine is filled with air bubbles or any form of gas which is reflected on the exterior in the form of stomach bloating. So, when someone mentions that they feel like their stomach is bloated, it means nothing but the fact that their food wasn’t properly digested which lead to the formation of gas in the stomach.
How to Get Rid of Bloated Stomach?
Getting rid of the uneasiness that comes with a bloated stomach after eating is of prime importance. There are a number of proven methods that come in handy when it comes to bloated stomach remedies. It is necessary to keep a close eye on such a happenstance because prolonged residence of such a condition may indicate towards other health issues.
Some of the primary steps that can help with the bloated stomach treatment include:
- Avoid constipation. If you suffer from this condition, make sure to ask for medical help.
- Eat at a slower pace. Don’t gorge down your food.
- Lessen the consumption of carbonated drinks.
- Stop overdoing the chewing of gums
- Bond more with the sugar free foods
- Limit the consumption of sodium
- Cut down the intake of beans and gas inducing vegetables
Home Remedies For Bloated Stomach
Much like every other type of disease, even cure for bloated stomach lies in the home remedies practiced by a majority of the Indian mothers. These remedies are redirected to ensure little to no side effects which is one of the major downsides when it comes to the conventional form of medicine. While, the anti-biotics and other chemically induced medicines have a faster mode of action on providing with instant relief for bloated stomach, it is often times best to stick to old school norms and just embrace the power of the home remedies.
Check Out these Remedies for Stomach Bloating
Subscribe to our channel, for more health videos
Home Remedies For Stomach Bloating Include:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Stomach bloating is often times an outcome of indigestion which further leads to gas formation in and around the stomach area. Apple cider vinegar is an amazing ingredient which helps combating the situation caused by it. Many experts suggest mixing one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink the same every day before every meal.
2. Activated Charcoal for Bloating
Activated charcoal is a great remedy for relieving bloated stomach pain. This primarily function by absorbing the excess of the formed gas or air bubbles from within the gut thus ensuring relieving of the uneasiness around the abdomen and get rid of the feeling of fullness. This is a very effective remedy which provides with impactful results at a very fast pace.
3. Activated Charcoal for Bloating
One of the quickest and foolproof remedies that work wonders for providing instant relief for bloated stomach is baking soda. There are two ways that people like to consume the baking soda.
- You can mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of lukewarm water
- Stir will before downing the concoction and drink the same
- You can even add a pinch of salt and a dash of lemon into the solution
- And then drink it to lessen the feeling of fullness.
The alkaline solution helps in neutralizing the acids naturally occurring in the stomach. Thus the prevention of bloating is ensured in more ways than one, as the excess of the acids, may become corrosive in nature and lead to the formation of certain unwanted vapours, which unable to escape lead to the bloating of the stomachs.
4. Epsom Salt For Bloating
In special cases, stomach bloating is often times characterised by the presence of excess water in the body which tends to primarily accumulate in and around the stomach region. Many experts suggest that soaking your body in 20-30 minutes in an Epsom salt bath often times help in excreting out the unnecessary amount of water. The salt is what pulls the water out of the body and helps reduce stomach bloating.
5. Betel Leaves:
You may choose to have a fresh and crisp leaf of the beetle plant every day, if possible with a clove after you have had a heavy meal. The juices of the leaf are known to have a soothing effect on the stomach, bring about movement to the unwanted vapours formed within. Alleviating the stomach of the gas, is a sure fire way of treating bloating of the stomach.
6. Castor Oil To Treat Stomach Bloating
Every human organ has a tendency to cause inflammation, pain and even bloating. Applying and carefully massaging castor oil over the affected areas of concern can help reduce the bloating and inflammation and provide with relief to the one suffering. Castor oil has a number of other benefits and a major role in the entire functionality of a human body.
7. Eucalyptus Oil
The essential oil of eucalyptus has many advantageous benefits for your overall health. Making movements to unwanted vapours formed in your stomach, eucalyptus oil may be consumed, by adding the essential oil, a few, measured drops at a time, to a glass of lukewarm water. Sip on slowly to the invigorating drink, and experience the slow loosening of the knots.
8. Strategised Diet For Bloated Stomach
Diet and lifestyle habits play a huge role in the recurrence of signs related to stomach bloating. If you are finding yourself continuously suffering from bloated stomach, it is a sign that you need to reevaluate your diet and eating habits.
Bananas are rich in potassium which is what makes it one of the most ideal fruits to prevent stomach bloating. It helps in regulating the sodium levels in the body which, in turn, helps in the prevention of excess water retention in the body. Bananas even contain a lot of fibre which helps in the regulating the bowel movements that ensure proper digestion of food.
You may already be adding turmeric to your daily diet. You may also choose to mix a teaspoon full of turmeric powder, with warm water and consume it once it has cooled down. The health benefits of turmeric have been known to mankind since the ancient times. It is thus a matter of no wonder that turmeric is found to be an ingredient in a number of health supplements and medications, bloating of the stomach included.
11. Consumption of Yoghurt
Regular consumption of yoghurt helps in the proper maintenance of the levels of lactobacillus and bifidobacterium in the body. These are termed as “good bacteria” as they help with the process of digestion after consumption of food. Yoghurt increases the concentration of these bacteria in the digestive tract which proves a lot beneficial for the bloated stomach treatment.
12. Ginger Ale For Alleviating Gas
Stomach bloating is often accompanied with uneasiness and a feeling of fullness. This is primarily caused because of the formation of gas and air bubbles in the small intestine. Consumption of ginger ale and even ginger tea helps in alleviating the gas. It is necessary to maintain the growth of internal flora so as to manage the correct balance of the ratio for effective digestion of the ingested food which further avoids the formation of stomach bloating.
13. Lemon Water For Depletion of Excess Water
Lemon has the property of functioning like an actual laxative and a natural diuretic. The lemon water combination often times help in retention of the salt which in turn ensures excretion of the excess water from the body. This contributes to keeping the stomach bloating in check and is one of the proven ways of relieving bloating fast.
14. Fennel Seeds, Caraway and Anise For Stomach Bloating
Fennel seeds, caraway, and anise all have one thing in common that cumulatively contribute to providing ways for treating bloating. Each of these seed variants have a good amount of contribution to the process of digestion which is what ensures that the ingested good is not just channeled and digested properly but is also absorbed optimally. Proper digestion of food absconds the possibility of stomach bloating in most cases.
You may simply choose to chew upon some seeds after a heavy meal, in order to aid digestion and hence prevent the formation of unwanted gas.
15. Asparagus for Excretion of Excess water
Would you really believe for a fact when I mention that asparagus has anti-bloating properties in them? Sounds a bit absurd when you think of a green stick like vegetable possessing such qualities, doesn’t it? Well, it does has such properties. It increases the frequency of urination which in turn aids in the excretion of the excess water which causes bloating. The only downside? It makes your pee smell but well, you gain some, you lose some.
16. Papaya For Improved Digestion
Whatever the reason is, it can also occur if you have been suffering from constipation and haven’t been able to excrete the toxic wastes from your body. In such cases, papaya is of great help.
Papaya is full of enzymes which help in the proper breakdown of the protein particles in the food, thus, aiding the process of digestion and thereby providing one with bloating remedies.
17. Foods That You Need To Avoid While Stomach Bloating
- Much like how every other process has its dos and don’ts, there are a few food products that are best avoided if you are looking for a cure for a bloated stomach. I’ll try and touch point every kind of food item that are best suggested to be avoided if you are not looking to aggravate the situation related to your bloated stomach.
- Dairy products like milk, butter, cheese etc are very rich in proteins and minerals. But, that necessarily doesn’t mean that every person has the sheer capability of breaking down the elements during their digestion. If you are faced with situations where the consumption of dairy or dairy products is affecting your stomach and health, it is primarily because it is hard digesting the constituents for you.
- Raw cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, and kale are often suggested to be avoided if one is suffering from stomach bloating. These vegetables tend to be high in fibres which is often hard for many people to break down while digestion.
- While Apple Cider Vinegar works like magic to reduce stomach bloating, apples have a little different story to tell. Much like the cruciferous vegetables, apples too are rich in fibres which make it hard to digest at times.
- Bloating due to excessive retention of water is majorly caused when the amount of electrolytes in the body go haywire. So, if you are already feeling bloated, it is best to not contribute more to the cause with the intake of excessive salty food
- Eggs are high in protein which is sometimes a boon and sometimes a curse. If you suffer from digestion problems, it is best to avoid regular intake of eggs because maybe the cause if primarily because of the inability in the breakdown of the protein components in the egg.
- Onions and Garlic are the two vegetables that are a situation on the topmost place in the FODMAP which consists of high fructose based oligosaccharides in them. These are often times a lot hard to break down during digestion, which, in turn, contributes to stomach bloating and formation of gas in the stomach.
18. Juice for Bloating
Juices have the perfect proportion of water, electrolytes, and nutrients. These cumulatively work together to provide with the very best results when it comes to providing with a cure for bloated stomach. Don’t get deflected with the fact that how can the intake of more fluid overdo bloating. It effectively does cure the issues one face when they are suffering and looking for an instant relief from their bloated stomach.
Some of the most effective variants of juices that work best include:
- Lemon juice
- Prune Juice
- Aloe Vera Juice
- Cranberry Juice
- Pineapple Juice
- Orange Juice
19. Herbal Tea For Bloated Stomach
Tea is a one stop cure for almost all variants of health issues. Not just that, it also helps in curing the weird uneasiness one feels when they are suffering from bloated stomach. Many of the available herbal teas also help with the process of digestion which further aids in ensuring the less relapsing of the issues related with bloated stomach.
Some of the primary kinds of herbal tea that works wonders for bloating include:
a) Ginger Tea
b) Peppermint Tea
c) Green Tea
A mild to strong concoction of green tea as your choice may be, could, and more often than not, to most certainty would be extremely helpful in not only bringing about movements to the unwanted vapours in the stomach, but also plays a vital role in cleansing the whole system by getting rid of some harmful toxins.
d) Chamomile Tea
You may take a few flowers of the chamomile plant, and add them into a kettle of boiling water. You may want the concoction to get concentrated, by letting it simmer over a low flame for about five to ten minutes. Pass the solution through a sieve, and let it cool down for some time, before you may slowly sip it down. Instant relief from any bloating the stomach could be getting relief from instantly.
e) Fennel Tea
20. Exercises that Contribute To The Prevention of Stomach Bloating
Yet another great preventive measure for bloating is regular exercises. While you definitely don’t want to overwork yourself, there are a few generic gyming and exercises that help stop stomach bloating in multiple occasions. Normal cardio exercises in the gym can help strengthen your core which, in turn, ensures improved metabolism which is exactly what promotes the process of digestion in the body.
Other than that, even Yoga helps in enhancing the overall digestion process in the body. Some of the most popular types of yoga poses that help with the prevention of stomach bloating include:
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
- Spinal twist
- Seated heart opener
- Adho Mukho Savasana
If you are looking for a step by step guide on how to do it, it is best to just follow the website here for further details regarding the process.
21. When Is The Right Time For Consulting A Doctor For Stomach Bloating?
Stomach bloating occurs due to different reasons in different people. The ground of suffering might be different from one person to the other. This is why it is necessary to be wary of the symptoms and how long they are lasting before you make a decision of booking an appointment with the doctor. If the signs and symptoms are still persistent even after 24 hours of administering medication, it is time to go see a doctor get everything checked out.
Food For Thought With Some Interesting FAQ
A. The general time frame often times last from 10-24 hours depending on the severity of the condition. If the issue is just because of indigestion or lack of proper excretion of water, it is most likely going to go down in between the mentioned time frame. If not, it is time to go see a doctor without a fail.
2. Bloated Stomach During Pregnancy
A. The onset of the bloated stomach doesn’t necessarily mean that a person is pregnant, if other symptoms of pregnancy aren’t visible. But it is viable possible for a pregnant woman to feel bloated during those nine months. With the increased production of progesterone, the muscles tend to relax and expand, even the ones in the small intestine. This often times contribute to the formation of bloating or gas formation.
3. Can Bloating Cause Shortness of Breath?
A. The answer to this question is a yes. Due to the pressure that the induce gas creates on the diaphragm, there are chances that it might affect the breathing cycle, thereby inducing shortness of breath in a number of individuals.
4. Why is My Stomach Bloated in The Morning?
A. The answer to this lies with the bacteria in the GI tract that aid the process of digestion in our body. These bacteria often times tend to form a number of gases as a byproduct to their work process which is why we often times feel bloated during the morning after we wake up.