Fruits are the easiest foods to eat and as they do not require much processing. Many of them can be easily grown and readily available. On the top of it, most fruits are rich in nutrients and contribute to good health.
Jackfruit is one such tropical fruit with increasing popularity. It is considered as the ‘Jack of all fruits’, not just because of its distinctive sweet flavor, but also due to its benefits. Read on to learn about the advantages of adding jackfruit to your diet, besides knowing its side effects.
What is Jackfruit?
Native to South India, Jackfruit is an exotic fruit grown in tropical regions. Belonging to the Moraceae plant family, Jackfruit comes with spiky outer skin which is of green or yellow color.
- It tastes similar to a combination of fruits like mangoes, apples, bananas, and pineapples.
- It is compared to shredded meat due to its texture.
- It can be a major source of carbohydrates and calories.
- The flesh of the jackfruit is the most consumed part
- Seeds of jackfruit are also safe to eat.
Jackfruit Nutrition Value
Jackfruit is jam-packed with nutrients. It offers moderate amount of calories and most of them come from the carbohydrates. Rest of the nutrients are proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
One cup of sliced jackfruit offers: 155 Calories; 40 gm Carbs; 3 gm Protein; 3 gm Fiber; 10% of the RDI Vitamin A;: 18% of the RDI Vitamin C; 15% of the RDI Magnesium; 14% of the RDI Potassium; 11% of the RDI Riboflavin; 15% of the RDI Copper; 16% of the RDI Manganese.
USDA Nutrition Chart Of Jackfruit:
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.64 g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.5 g||4%|
|Vitamin A||110 IU||3.5%|
|Vitamin C||13.7 mg||23%|
|Vitamin E||0.34 mg||2%|
Antioxidant-rich jackfruit is responsible for the majority of its health benefits (6). Check below for the benefits of jackfruit.
Jackfruit Health And Beauty Benefits
Benefits of Jackfruit Seeds For Skin:
The seeds of the yummy fruit can offer radiant skin with wrinkles. You may consume the jackfruit seed directly to clear constipation, detoxify the system and acquire glowing complexion.
How to use:
- Place the jackfruit seed and dip it in cold milk for a few minutes.
- Grind well and apply on your wrinkles. Wash off after 10 minutes.
- Soak the dry jackfruit seed in milk and honey.
- Grind it into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste over the face and allow it to dry.
- Wash it off with clean water.
2. Benefits of Jackfruit Seeds For Digestion And Cancer Prevention:
The nutrients in jackfruit seeds help treat numerous health ailments. High protein in jackfruit seeds and the phytonutrients in it help fight cancer.
How To Use:
- Consume powdered jackfruit seeds to get instant relief from indigestion.
- Sun-dry jackfruit seeds and make it into powder.
The antioxidants, phytonutrients, and flavonoid provide protection against cancer and from free radicals developed due to the oxidative stress. Jackfruit provides protection against colon oral cavity and lung cancer.
3. Jackfruit Seeds For Hair:
Jackfruit seeds are widely used to promote healthy hair. The seeds promote blood circulation, which is important for hair growth. Vitamin A in it prevents brittle and dry hair. As mentioned earlier, jackfruit aids good digestion, which is important for good hair growth.
[Read More Natural Remedies for Hair Growth]
4. Jackfruit For Blood Sugar Management:
The low glycemic index (GI) of the jackfruit indicates the rise of sugar levels after eating a food. Diet with low-GI foods help manage blood sugar levels. The fiber in it helps slow down digestion and prevent blood sugar spikes. The proteins in jackfruit prevent blood sugar levels to rise after meal. More research is needed to confirm the benefits of jackfruit for diabetic patients.
5. Jackfruit Good Against Inflammation And Oxidative Stress:
The antioxidants present in the jackfruit helps deal with free radicals that can cause inflammation and oxidative stress. The high Vitamin C in the jackfruit can prevent inflammation. More components in jackfruit that fight inflammation include carotenoids, flavanones.
6. Jackfruit Reduces The Risk Of Several Diseases:
The anti-inflammatory properties of jackfruit help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart ailments and type 2 diabetes. Also, it helps lower blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels. Jackfruit is very heart-friendly as the Vitamin B6 present in the fruit helps reduce homocysteine levels in the blood.
7. Jackfruit Helps Cure Skin Diseases And Mental Stress:
The micronutrients and proteins help manage mental stress levels and skin diseases. Jackfruit seed consumption also helps keep the skin moisture levels high and preserve hair health.
8. Jackfruit For Boosting Iron And Building Muscles:
Jackfruit seeds can boost iron in the body, an important component of hemoglobin, thus eliminating blood disorders including anemia. Iron also promotes heart and brain health. On the top of it, the protein content in jackfruit help build muscles.
10. Maintains Blood Pressure Levels:
The potassium in the jackfruit maintains sodium in the body and maintains fluid level to balance electrolytes. Thus, it helps control blood pressure levels.
11. Jackfruit Can Improve Digestion:
The dietary fiber in the jackfruit can make it a bulk laxative that can improve digestion, besides preventing constipation. Moreover, the dietary fats in the fruit can cleanse the toxins out of the colon.
13. Improves Eyesight And Good For Night Blindness:
The eye vision could be improved by the antioxidant-rich jackfruit, thus protects against cataract and macular degeneration. Jackfruit with vitamin A is vital for eye health and can prevent night blindness.
14. Jackfruit Helps Avoid Asthma, Cold, And Infections:
Include jackfruit (act as Vitamin C supplements) to your diet to get relief from asthma, cold and seasonal infections. A cup of jackfruit offers a good amount of antioxidants and strengthens the immune system.
15. Improve Bone Health With Jackfruit:
The calcium in jackfruit strengthens and promotes healthy bone. The potassium levels in the jackfruit can decrease the calcium loss through the kidney, besides increasing the bone density. The magnesium in the jackfruit helps build bones strength. Thus, the yummy fruit helps higher bone density and stronger bones.
16. Helps Maintain Thyroid Healthy:
The copper in the fruit help with thyroid metabolism, hormone absorption, and production. The potent micro mineral can keeps your metabolism rate healthy.
17. Ulcers Cure With Jackfruit:
The strong anti-ulcerative properties can cure ulcers and remaining digestive system disorders. Doesn’t these unbelievable health benefit of jackfruit deserve a place in your regular diet?
How to Eat Jackfruit?
Eat jackfruit either raw or cooked. Slice the fruit into half and remove yellow fruit pods along with the seeds, using a knife. The fibrous, white part inside jackfruit is sticky, so you may consider wearing gloves.
Consume the flesh of the fruit pods. Also, ripe or unripe fruit can be used in the preparations of desserts and other savory recipes. You may use jackfruit as an ingredient in soups and curries. To have it easy, add ripe fruit to oatmeal or yogurt. Coming to jackfruit seeds, roast, boila and add them with seasonings. Below are more tips to follow before eating the jackfruit seeds:
- Rinse jackfruit seeds thoroughly to get rid of the white, gummy latex of the fruit. Mob and rub o easy cleaning.
- Boil jackfruit seeds until soft and eat it like a nut
- Before eating the boiled jackfruit seeds, drain and dry them.
- The, open the skin covering and leave the brown underneath layer.
- You may now roast the seeds over medium-high heat
However, before opting to eat this yummy tropical fruit, make a note of some disadvantages associated with the jackfruit, just to be on the safer side.
Jackfruit Disadvantages or Side Effects Of Jackfruit:
- Jackfruit has to be consumed in limit or avoid altogether if allergic to the fruit.
- Diabetic patients who are already on medication should avoid excess jackfruit consumption as it may further lower the blood sugar levels.
- Apart from these, jackfruit consumption has never reported serious side effects and is safe for the most people to eat.
To conclude, if you always look out for healthy and natural food options for you and your family, consider jackfruit and its seeds as they are loaded with highly beneficial nutrients. If you have been eating the fruit flesh, but throwing away the jackfruit seeds, think twice now that you know the benefits they offer. Only you can make your life better. Make healthy choices. Eat jackfruit and enjoy its health benefits!