Eyes are considered as one of the most delicate organs of your body. It is important to get rid of eye problems as early as possible. Sometimes, severe eye problems can even cause loss of eyesight. Stye in your eyes is one such problem which you should never ignore. We have also given some of the important tips on how to get rid of a stye quickly through some home remedies.
Stye on the eyelid is a formation of a lump or eye pimple on the outside edge of your eyelid. Eyelids have various oil glands around your eyelashes. These small opening can get clogged due to dead skin cells, dirt as well as oil buildup. The clogging of gland results into the formation harmful bacteria in the inside and can cause the development of stye.
What is Stye In Eye?
What are causes of symptoms of stye on eyelids?
- Formation of stye in eye can caused by various reasons. It also shows various symptoms which you should not ignore. Some of the important causes, as well as symptoms of a stye, are as follows.
Causes of a stye eye
- The major stye cause is a bacteria known as staphylococcal, which lives on the skin surface. A pimple can be formed when bacteria feast on dead skin cells as well as other impurities.
- Chalazion can be caused due to the blocking of tiny eyelid gland which helps in lubricating eyes.
Stye eye symptoms
Some of the major symptoms of stye eye includes,
- Pain and swelling in the eye
- Increase in tear production
- Formation of crust around eyelid
- Itching or soreness in the eye.
What to Do About a Stye?
Although there are various remedies which you can follow to treat a stye on the eye, consulting with your doctor is highly important to get the best expert advice. Your doctor may prescribe some of the effective stye on eye medicines which can provide instant relief. You can also ask for some of the over-the-counter painkillers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to get relief from the pain which makes you uncomfortable due to a stye in the eye.
As this condition occurs due to the bacterial infection, you can also opt for some antibiotic ointments and apply it on your eyelids. You can also choose for antibiotic eye drops which can be used on your eyes. However, take expert advice while choosing these ointments as they ma cause various side effects.
How to treat stye eye?
How to cure a stye?
1. Warm compress
Warm compress is one of the effective techniques in a stye removal on eye. The heat in compress helps in dissolving the pimple on eyelids by removing the pus as well as oil.
- Take a washcloth and deep it into the warm water.
- Wrinkle the cloth to remove excess water.
- Press it gently on your eye for 5-10 minutes.
- Avoid squeezing or puncturing the stye.
- Do this regularly for 3-4 times a day.
2. Cleaning With Water And Mild Soap
- Take a tear-free baby shampoo or saline solution.
- With the help of cotton swab wipe off your eyelids.
- Use it regularly until the stye is gone.
- It also helps in preventing the stye formation in future.
With your clean hands or wipes massage the entire affected area to boost the drainage of eye pimples. However, if it hurts severely, stop massaging. Avoid touching your eye once the stye has been fully drained.
4. Avoid Using Contact Lenses And Makeup
Apart from causing irritation, using makeup on your eye also causes a delay in the healing process of your stye. This also contains the risk of spreading the infection to the other parts of the body.
Opt for your glasses till your stye problem gets resolved if you use lenses. Using lenses can spread the infection in your eyes by attaching to your lenses.
Home Remedies For Stye On The Eye
Turmeric has been considered as one of great spice to treat any infection. This is also helpful in treating stye in your eyes.
- Boil a water by adding 2 teaspoons of turmeric into it.
- Boil the solution till it gets half of its original amount.
- Make the liquid thin by straining it several times by removing all turmeric granules.
- Use this liquid as eye drops for 2-3 times everyday.
2. Mint leaf
- Take few mint leaves and crush it.
- Apply it as poultice on stye.
- After leaving it for 5 minutes, wash it off with water.
- Make a mixture of calendula, a tablespoon of dried petals and water.
- Use the strained liquid to put in your eyes.
- Use this procedure at least three times everyday.
4. Acacia leaf
The procedure of acacia leaf helps in countering the pain caused by stye in eye.
- In a cup of boiling water, drop some acacia leaves.
- Leave it for cooling after covering it.
- With the help of clean cloth, apply it as a compress on the affected area.
- Leave it for at least 10 minutes.
5. Coriander leaves
- In a 1/2 cup of water, boil some coriander leaves for 3-5 minutes.
- After removing it from flame, cover it and leave it for cooling.
- Use this water to clean your eyes after filtering.
- On a fresh parsley, pour some boiling water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Dip a clean cloth in the mixture.
- Place the dampened cloth on the affected eye for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure before going to bed.
Cucumber has been proven as a great home remedy for stye. It helps in removing pain as well as inflammation caused due to stye.
- Cut cucumber slices.
- Put the slices on affected eyelids.
- You can also use tomato slices.
How long is a stye contagious?
According to the experts, there are no recorded cases of being a stye contagious. Just like acne, stye is not contagious at all. Stye has been considered as a local inflammation or irritation which cannot spread through physical contact.
How do you prevent a stye on eye?
The prevention for stye eye requires taking thorough care of your eyes. It is important to prevent a stye as getting a stye also improves the risk of getting another one. The formation of stye can also occur inside your eyelids. Follow some of the important points given below to prevent stye in eye.
- Wash your hands properly with the help of water and soap before touching your eyes.
- Clean your eyelids properly with warm water as well as mild soap or shampoo.
- Before going to bed, remove eye makeup.
- Don’t share towels with anyone suffering with a stye.
Stye on your eye is a serious condition and required immediate solution. The swelling of stye on your eye can last up to three days. However, the condition can be cured by itself in 7-8 days. You can get rid of styes easily. But it may cause pain as well as irritation, which requires medical helps. Sometimes formation of stye can be a symptom of some of the major diseases such as conjunctivitis, cellulitis or blepharitis.