Diarrhea is linked with stomach problems as well as difficulties in bowel movements. In diarrhea, your stools become watery and loose. It is considered as one of the most common health emergency and usually not serious. The condition of diarrhea gets resolved within 2-3 days through various medicines. In this article, we have tried to provide information on how to stop diarrhea through some effective techniques.
Many a times diarrhea can also be a part of irritable bowel syndrome as well as other conditions.
Here we have provided all the important information about diarrhea from its symptoms, causes as well as remedies to get rid of it.
Causes Of Diarrhea
- A food allergy
- A food intolerance
- A viral infection
- A bacterial infection
- Intestinal disease
- Parasitic infection
- Stomach or gallbladder surgery
- Adverse reaction to medication
Experts say that the Rotavirus is considered as a common cause of childhood diarrhea. Many a times, diarrhea can also be a symptom of any underlying disease such as irritable bowel syndrome as well as inflammatory bowel disease. Severe diarrhea might be a sign of functional bowel disorder or disease of intestine.
Symptoms Of Diarrhea
There are various kinds of symptoms of diarrhea. You may face one of them or all of them together if you are suffering with the disease. The symptoms of diarrhea also depends upon the cause of it. In the condition of diarrhea you ma feel,
- Abdominal pain
- Bloody stools
- Frequent urge to release bowels
It is important to get the expert help immediately if you are experiencing any of or all of these symptoms.
How To Stop Diarrhea
Hydration plays an important role in treating diarrhea. According to the experts, dehydration in children and older adults can be life-threatening. Consuming over-the-counter hydratic solutions can solve the problem. You can also feed small amounts of hydration solution to children as well.
Along with rehydration solutions, sports drinks are also effective in treating the condition of dehydration. However, you should not use milk, soda, alcohol as well as other carbonated and caffeinated drinks for hydration as they make the situation complicated further.
Probiotics provides good bacteria which creates healthy environment in your gut. These live microorganisms are found in certain foods, which are,
- Cottage cheese
- Green olives
- Soft cheese
Probiotics are available in powder or pill form.
Good bacteria are essential for normal functioning of the gastrointestinal system. They also helps in protecting your intestines against infection. You experience the condition of bacteria when your system is changed by unhealthy bacteria or viruses. Probiotics are helpful maintaining the balance of bacteria in the gut.
Consult your doctor before consuming probiotics supplements. You should also receive proper medical care to treat acute diarrhea.
3. Eat Right Foods
Eating right foods not only can treat the condition of diarrhea but also helps in preventing it in future. Eating right foods also ensures you don’t get further problems due to not eating. Eating fiber-rich food will helps in firming up your stools.
Some of the important foods which you should eat are,
- White rice
- Skin peeled boiled or baked potatoes
- Skin-removed baked chicken
- Chicken soup
You should never eat certain foods if you are having diarrhea. These foods are fried and greasy foods, fruits and vegetables that increases bloating. Few foods which you should avoid are,
- Artificial sweeteners
4. Chamomile Tea
Along with relieving abdominal cramps, chamomile tea is helpful in reducing intestinal inflammation.
- In a cup of boiled water, add a teaspoon of chamomile tea and peppermint leaves.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove it from flame and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Drink this tea at least 3 times a day to get rid of diarrhea.
Carrots are helpful in replenishing all the important vitamins as well as minerals which your body loses because of diarrhea.
- With the help of fresh carrots, make a glass of juice.
- According to your taste, add few drops of lemon and honey to it.
- Drink this regularly to get the best diarrhea treatment.
- You can also consume freshly made pureed carrots.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
A natural antibiotic, apple cider vinegar helps in killing the germs that causes diarrhea and helps in relieving intestinal cramps.
- Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into the water.
- Stir it well.
- Consume this drink at least three times a day.
How To Prevent Diarrhea?
Following some important actions helps in preventing diarrhea, although it can occur due to various reasons. Consider the tips given below to get rid of diarrhea.
- Wash fruits and vegetable before cooking along with the place of cooking to avoid the risk of diarrhea through food poisoning.
- After the preparation, serve the food immediately.
- Store the remaining foods in the refrigerator.
- Liquidate the frozen foods in the refrigerator.
How To Prevent Traveler’s Diarrhea?
Always follow the tips given below to prevent the risk of diarrhea while traveling.
- Consult with your doctor before leaving for some antibiotic treatment. This will help in reducing the risk of development of traveler’s diarrhea.
- Try to drink bottled water only while you are on vacation.
- Eating cooked food while vacationing helps in keeping yourself away from diarrhea.
- Always avoid using tap water while you are vacationing.
How To Prevent Bacterial And Viral Infections?
Diarrhea may also cause due to bacterial or viral infection. You can easily curb the bacterial as well as viral infection by washing your hands more often. Your hands get in contact with the foreign object more easily. Therefore, washing of them is highly required. You should always wash your hands with soap or hand wash for at least 20 seconds.
You can also use hand sanitizers when washing of your hand is unavailable.