Heartburn or acid reflux is considered an intestinal problem which occurs when the esophageal sphincter gets contracted while swallowing foods and the digestive acid turns back to the throat. One of the major symptoms of the heartburn or acid reflux includes burning sensation in the throat. This may also join with chest pain as well as discomfort. This medical condition may further turn to nausea and difficulty in swallowing. A natural remedy yogurt for acid reflux is highly useful.
A large number of people use yogurt for heartburn treatment due to its soothing effects which help in curing pain as well as irritation caused by heartburn or acid reflux.
We have tried to provide all the important information in using yogurt for acid reflux from its importance, some of the best ways to the few important tips as well as precautions while choosing the best yogurt for heartburn.
Is Yogurt helpful in acid reflux?
- Yogurt provides a soothing effect to the esophagus as it smooth, cool as well as alkaline in nature.
- It is also rich in probiotics, which is a form of some health-friendly bacteria which is found in the digestive tract and helps in strengthening the immune system.
- Yogurt is also essential for proper absorption of proteins and nutrients by the body.
- It is filled with protein which plays a main role in the prevention of heartburn or acid reflux as it helps in digesting the food properly.
- Yogurt is also considered an amazing source of calcium which helps in strengthening the muscles in the lower esophagus.
- Along with reducing inflammation, it also helps in eliminating gas in the intestine, provides relief from pain and discomfort and helps in improving intestinal functions.
Best Ways of Yogurt for Treating Acid Reflux
There are various ways through which you can use yogurt for acid indigestion. We have listed some important preparations of yogurt acid reflux cure which you can certainly try for better treatment of acid reflux or heartburn.
You can consume just yogurt after having meals to prevent acid reflux.
- Take a cup of plain, low-fat yogurt and consume it.
- Start eating yogurt regularly after having meals once or twice a day.
2. Yogurt with Ginger
Ginger helps in better digestion due to its anti-inflammatory properties as well as its digestive juices. It also helps in curing the irritation as well as inflammation in the esophagus by helping in the absorption of stomach acid which helps in proper digestion. Using yogurt with ginger helps in providing required proteins and nutrients to the body.
- Peel off the skin of fresh ginger.
- Cut into small pieces or grate it properly.
- Mix it into a cup of yogurt
- Start to consume this mixture regularly to prevent acid reflux.
3. Yogurt With Cereal and Fruits
Consumption of yogurt with cereal as well as other fruits helps in providing important nutrients in the body. You can consume this mixture in the mornings for a healthy start of your day.
- To make this you need a cup of yogurt, cereals rich in fiber, 2 cups of fruits, 2 tablespoons of honey and a serving dish.
- Cut fruits such as plums, berries, nectarines as well as kiwi.
- Add these fruits to cereals served in a dish.
- Add some yogurt to the mixture.
- Now add some honey on top of it and consume regularly.
4. Yogurt with Honey
- Add some honey to the low-fat yogurt.
- Stir the mixture properly.
- Eat it to get rid of heartburn of acid reflux.
5. Yogurt with Flaxseed
The fiber in flax seeds helps in easy as well as proper digestion of food along with neutralizing the intestine’s acid level.
- Add a tablespoon of flaxseed in a cup of yogurt.
- Eat this mixture to provide a soothing effect to the stomach.
- Consume it regularly to use yogurt for acid reflux.
6. Yogurt with Ginger and Lemon Juice
An effective combination of yogurt with ginger herb as well as lemon juice helps in reducing the intensity of acid reflux or heartburn.
- Add a tablespoon of both lemon juice and ginger and mix it well.
- Use ginger in grated form.
- Consume this mixture regularly.
- You can also use Greek yogurt to get more benefits.
How to Choose the Best Yogurt for Treating Acid Reflux?
- Always choose fat-free or low-fat yogurt.
- Choose plain yogurt which usually does not contain added sugars, which is high in flavored yogurt.
- You can add acidic fruits such as melon, peaches, and berries, to the plain yogurt as sweeteners.
- Opt for yogurts which are high in probiotics which are helpful in maintaining the balance the good as well as harmful bacteria.
Tips and Precautions While Using Yogurt for Acid Reflux
- Choosing probiotic yogurts for acid reflux can reap a lot of benefits. You can also consume probiotic supplements to get rid of acid reflux or heartburn.
- Some foods to avoid for acid reflux are acidic food which erodes the esophagus and may cause inflammation. Keep in mind that yogurt is also one of the acidic foods and therefore should be used with caution.
- Yogurt is an amazing acid reflux remedy for pregnant, breastfeeding women along with children, if consumed in required quantities, to get rid of acid reflux.
- Consuming high-fat yogurt worsen the problem of acid reflux and should always be avoided.
- Yogurt with additives as well as artificial sweeteners should also be avoided.
- If you are allergic to dairy products, you should avoid using of yogurt remedies for acid reflux or heartburn.
- It is necessary to consult with your doctor if you don’t get any relief from using yogurt for acid reflux for long period of time.