Upper abdominal pain makes you uncomfortable and usually linked to bad eating habits. However, there can be various other reasons behind the eruption of the disease. It is important to get diagnosed with the cause of the disease as soon as possible to get proper treatment in time to prevent the situation from becoming even more complicated.
Here we have tried to provide all the information everything you want to know about the problem of upper abdominal pain. Read on to get details about the causes, symptoms, treatment as well as prevention of upper abdominal pain.
What is An Upper Abdominal Pain?
Upper abdominal pain in the pain which occurs in esophagus or stomach. The severity of the pain might depend on the primary cause of it. For some people, pain can be temporary and occurs in rare cases. For the rest, it might be severe and can affect their day-to-day workings. It is important to get diagnosed by the expert medical practitioner and to receive proper medical treatment to reduce the discomfort.
While upper abdominal pain can be a sign of disturbances in your stomach, it also is one of the symptoms of any underlying disease affecting other organs in the body. It is important, therefore, to take note of your upper abdominal pain quite carefully. You should look carefully at the frequency as well as the intensity of the stomach pain along with other unusual activities.
Causes of Upper Abdominal Pain
A primary cause of upper abdominal pain is considered as the problems in your liver or gallbladder which can be in any form such as gallstones, hepatitis as well as a liver abscess. Also, it can be a result of any infection as well as inflammation.
If the pain is originating from the esophagus as well as stomach, the reason behind it can be a heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux disease as well as a hiatal hernia.
Another important cause of upper abdominal pain is gastritis, which causes inflammation in stomach lining due to bacteria or viruses. Various food allergies along with ulcers as well as intolerances can also result in abdominal pain.
You may even experience pain in the upper middle abdominal area. The causes of this pain are,
- Peptic ulcer○ Stomach cancer
- Intestinal hernia
- Lymphoma○ Heart attack
- Muscle tear○ Spinal disorders
- Dissection of abdominal aorta
Symptoms of Upper Abdominal Pain
The symptoms of upper abdominal pain depend upon its cause. Symptoms of upper abdominal pain related to digestive issue are,
- Bloody stool
- Gas○ Diarrhea
- Nausea without vomiting
- Abdominal cramping and swelling
- Abnormal changes in bowel movements
Symptoms of upper abdominal pain associated with various other conditions are
- Enlargement of liver and glands
- Unexpected weight loss
- Muscle spasms
- Pain, tingling or numbness
- Body aches
- Feeling of Malaise
Some symptoms of upper abdominal pain appear when it is the life-threatening situation. You should never ignore these symptoms
- High fever
- Rapid heart rate
- Trauma to the abdomen
- Rectal bleeding, bloody stool, blood in vomiting
- Severe abdominal pain
- Abdominal rigidity
- Chest pain and tightness in chest
- Difficulty and complete inability to have bowel movements
- Breathing problems such as shortness or rapid breathing.
Treatment of Upper Abdominal Pain
Treatment of upper abdominal pain can be done through the treatment of underlying cause such as heartburn, gallstones as well as liver problems along with various other reasons which are resulting in abdominal pain.
It is considered as difficult to treat the abdominal pain directly as there are different causes of the pain. However, some general tips might help you in treating the condition of upper abdominal pain. Their tips include,
- Healthy diet consumption
- Performing exercises regularly
- Consuming meals in smaller quantities
- Drinking a lot of water
It is important to follow your treatment plan as well as recommended diet properly if your abdominal pain is originating from inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome. Also, avoid lying down on the bed immediately after having a meal. This will help in reducing heartburn as well as indigestion.
If you are experiencing mild abdominal pain infrequently, it should not be a high point of concern. However, if you are having prolonged sharp, severe pain, it is recommended to take your doctor’s advice as soon as possible. Following are the conditions, in which you should immediately get the expert advice.
- High fever
- Difficulty in breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Sudden weight loss without any reason
- Pain which lasts up to 24 hours
- Swelling of the abdomen
- Prolonged constipation
- Yellowing of eyes of skin
- Nausea and/or vomiting
Home remedies for upper abdominal pain
Apart from this, you should also consider trying some major home remedies to treat the condition of upper abdominal pain. These are natural home remedies which do not cause any side effects if used properly and provides relief from abdominal pain.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda contains antacid properties which help in relieving stomach ache and provides relief from heartburn.
- In a cup of warm water mix a tablespoon of baking soda
- Consume this solution slowly.
- Drink the solution whenever you face abdominal pain.
Ginger is filled with anti-inflammatory properties, which are helpful in increasing the number of digestive juices and provides fast relief. It is also rich in antioxidant, gingerol, which is useful in eliminating free radicals and prevents further damage to the body.
- In a cup of warm water, add some grated ginger.
- Stir the mixture and strain it.
- Drink the mixture to get relief from stomach pain
3. Chamomile tea
Chamomile tea helps in providing relief from abdominal discomfort due to its sedative as well as anti-inflammatory properties. It is also helpful in providing relaxation to the upper digestive tract and eliminated spasms as well as stomach cramps.
- In a cup of boiling water add two tablespoons of dried chamomile.
- After letting it sit for 10-15 minutes, strain the mixture.
- You can add some honey as well as lemon juice for taste.
- Consume this mixture regularly to get rid of stomach pain.
- You should not consume this drink if you are pregnant or suffering from an allergy of ragweed.
4. Cold or Warm Compress
This method is highly useful as it helps in providing soothing to stomach my loosening and relaxing of its muscles. It also kills un-comfort causing by cramps by treating it. It has also been showed that cold compress is useful in curing stomach pain.
- Take a hot or cold pack.
- Lie down and put the compress on your stomach.
- Make sure the temperature is comfortable.
- Use this compress for 15-20 minutes.
- While using a warm compress, ensure to reheat it once it loses its warmth.
- Use this process regularly until you get relief from stomach ache.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is known as a natural cleaner as well as antacid which helps in easing digestion by absorbing nutrients which are not essential.
- In a glass of warm water add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Consume this drink before having your meals.
- Drink this regularly until you get relief from stomach aches.
- Use only apple cider vinegar and not others.
Peppermint is helpful in stimulating appetite and provides ease to pain linked to stomach ache. This results in proper functioning of digestive system.
- In a cup of warm water add some fresh peppermint leaves.
- After letting it steep for few minutes, strain the liquid.
- Consume the drink to get relief from stomach pain.
- Apart from this, you can also consume mint supplements as well as mint candies.
The acidic properties of lemon help in stimulating the production of hydrochloric acid in the body which is helpful in breaking down food and thus useful for easy and proper digestion. Along with keeping the system flushed lemon also helps in smooth functioning of the digestive system.
- In a glass of warm water add some fresh lemon juice.
- Stir the mixture properly.
- Take sips of this mixture slowly to get rid of stomach aches.
Important Tips to Prevent Upper Abdominal Pain
Following the tips given below will help you in preventing the condition of pain in upper abdomen.
- Eat meals which are in fiber.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Perform exercises regularly.
- Drink warm water with salt into it to get rid of gas. Don’t use this method if you are suffering from high blood pressure.
- Consume drinks which are rich in tannins such as black tea to neutralize toxins in the body.
- You can also get rid of stomach aches or abdominal pain through acupuncture as well as acupressure.
- Avoid lying down after having meals.
- Consume yogurt in large quantities as it provides relief from indigestion as well as stomach pain.
- Drinking of aloe vera juice not only helps in countering stomach pain but also helpful in treating constipation, gas, cramps as well as various other digestive issues.