Leg or muscle cramps are one of the common health problems in almost everyone’s life. Sportspersons are more at risk of suffering from muscle cramps. Muscle cramps severely affect the back of the lower leg as well as the front and back of the thighs. Other body parts where cramps can occur are an abdominal wall, feet as well as hands. Various home remedies for leg cramps treatment are available which you can consider getting rid of it. Leg or muscle cramps are one of the common health problems in almost everyone’s life. Sportspersons are more at risk of suffering from muscle cramps. Muscle cramps severely affect the back of the lower leg as well as the front and back of the thighs. Other body parts where cramps can occur are an abdominal wall, feet as well as hands. Various home remedies for leg cramps treatment are available which you can consider getting rid of it.
What are leg cramps?
To move properly, contraction, as well as relaxation of muscles, occurs simultaneously. However, uncontrolled contraction of muscle or fiber of muscle causes spasm. This spasm converts into a muscle cramp in a period. This results into the hardening of that particular muscle
● Symptoms of leg cramps
Severe pain is one of the common symptoms of leg cramps. In most of the cases, muscle cramps give warnings before appearing such as twitching or tingling of muscles. Swelling and soreness are also the symptoms of leg cramps which needs proper massaging for recovery.
Experts also say that you feel the hardening of the cramped muscles while contracting and it becomes highly difficult to move the muscles.
Leg cramps can be seen easily on the particular muscle. Prolonged cramping requires professional treatment from your doctor. Your doctor may prescribe the proper treatment for your after the complete evaluation of your leg cramps.
● Causes of leg cramps
Exact causes of leg cramps are still unknown. They can be ignored and does not need any treatment if occurs sporadically. However prolonged and constant muscle cramping can occur which may cause pain and disturbances in your sleep. Some of the causes of leg or muscle cramps include,
- Flat feet
- Alcohol abuse○ Diabetes
- Kidney failure
- Dehydration○ Pregnancy
- Diarrhea○ Overweightness○ Neural disorders
- Injury to the leg○ Hormonal imbalance
Home remedies for leg cramps treatment
Some of the best home remedies to treat the problem of muscle cramps are as follow.
Epsom salt is an amazing treatment for leg cramps as it is rich in magnesium which helps in boosting relaxation as well as healing.
- Make your bathtub ready with warm water
- Mix 2 cup of Epsom salt in it properly.
- Soak yourself in the water for at least 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process for 1-2 times if required.
- Don’t use Epsom salt if you are suffering from heart problems, diabetes as well as high blood pressure.
Raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar is high in potassium which provides relief from muscle cramps. Apple cider vinegar also contains important nutrients which help in maintaining the fluid balance in the body and prevents dehydration.
- In a glass of warm water, mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Stir it well.○ Drink this solution to get rid of muscle cramps.
- You can also add some honey as well as calcium lactate in a warm glass of water.
- Consume this drink before going to bed every day.
● Clove oil
Anti-inflammatory properties of clove oil help in reducing swelling as well as inflammation. Clove oil also possesses antiseptic properties which help in reducing pain.
- Heat some clove oil.
- Rub this warm clove oil on the affected area.
- Massage the area for few minutes gently.
- Repeat the process again if required.
● Stretching exercises
Performing stretching exercises regularly helps in reducing pain caused due to muscle cramps. Applying mild, static stretch for 15-30 seconds helps in relaxation.
Swimming also helps in stretching the muscles which help in providing relief from soreness. Cold water also helps in reducing pain as well as inflammation.
The anti-inflammatory properties of rosemary help in providing calm to inflamed muscle tissues and helps in reducing soreness as well as pain. Additionally, it also helps in promoting relaxation and helps in boosting the healing process.
- On few rosemary leaves put some boiled water.
- Cover and steep it for 30 minutes.
- Dip a washcloth in the mixture and put it on the cramped muscle for 10-15 minutes.
- You can add cold compress if the pain improves.
You can also make rosemary tea. To prepare
- Add some dried rosemary into a cup of hot water. Strain the liquid after steeping it for about 5-10 minutes.
- Drink this tea for 2-3 times a day.
● Keep yourself hydrated
Dehydration is considered as one of the major cause of cramping in legs. Rehydrating yourself may solve the problem of muscle cramps quickly.
- Make sure that you are drinking enough amounts of water throughout the day to prevent the condition of cramping.
- If you are suffering from muscle cramps during exercise, drink enough water about 2 hours before each workout. You can also drink water in breaks while your exercise.
- Consuming vegetables as well as water-based fruits along with drinking water helps in reducing dehydration and preventing muscle cramps.
● Diet changes
Making important changes in your diet helps in treating the condition of leg cramps effectively.
- Consume foods rich in potassium and calcium helps in treating muscle cramps. Eat potassium-rich foods such as bananas, oranges, strawberries, fresh orange juice, grapefruits juice and spinach along with mushrooms. You can calcium-rich foods in your diets such as milk, cheese, as well as yogurt along with nuts as well as tofu and sardines.
- Consuming magnesium-rich foods also helps in treating leg cramps. Consumption of pumpkin seeds, spinach, kale with wheat germ helps in increasing magnesium level in your body.
- Your diet should always consist of vitamin A, vitamin E. For that consume sweet potatoes, liver, salmon, carrots, sunflower seeds, soybeans daily. Avoiding refined flour and choosing products such as bread as well as pasta may help you. Processing of any food removes all the important nutrients as well as vitamins.
Leg cramp prevention
Following the tips given below might help you in preventing the condition of leg cramps.
- Using proper footwear more importantly during workouts helps in preventing muscle or leg cramps due to applying of excess pressure.
- Sleeping on your sides helps in preventing leg cramps. Also, don’t cover the bed with tight sheets which cause awkward placing of feet, which in turn triggers leg cramps.
- Performing yoga or pilates exercises helps in relaxing your muscle. Yoga poses help in improving blood circulation which helps in minimizing cramping.
- Always try some stretching during a cramp. Also, you can consider performing stretching exercises as mentioned above.
By Prajakt K.