Ever heard of the name Virabhadra, named after the mythological character by the great Lord Shiva himself? This is exactly where this asana gets its name from. This asana resembles the boastful pose of a warrior and hence the name. This specific yogasana is considered as one of the most graceful postures with a lot of depth and firmness.
How to do?
- Stand erect on the ground and hold a steady posture
- Keep a distance of at least 3-4 feet between the right and the left foot
- Bring your right foot in front making a 90 degrees angle with respect to the ground
- Push your left foot back at an angle of 15 degrees to the ground and make sure that the heel of the right foot is aligned to the centre of the left foot
- Once you have done that, stare at the right of you
- Stretch your hands over your head and join your palms to form a posture of “Namaste” with your hand and stare upwards towards them
- Hold the position for 30 seconds and repeat it by changing the directions
Benefits of Virabhadrasana 1 Pose
The benefits of Virabhadrasana 1 include:
- Helps strengthen the muscles in the lower back, arms, and legs
- Increase stamina in an individual
- Helps stimulate the rate of metabolism in the body
- Helps dissipate stress from the shoulder
- Helps bring a peace of mind and levels down the stress and anxiety level in a person
Like every other asana, it is mandatory to ensure that you go through the list of precautions and prepare to perform the asana accordingly because it is best to be aware of the side effects before jumping head first into it.
- Always consult a doctor first before doing this posture if you have serious issues with your spine or have just recovered from any kind of chronic disease.
- If you suffer from neck problems, it is best to avoid looking up at the palms during the yoga. The same goes out if you have a problem with your shoulder as well. Never strain yourself and extend it till you can.
- Pregnant women need supervision if they are doing it for the first time and are not someone who has been doing yoga regularly
- This is not an ideal asana for people who have issues with their cardiac system and suffer from hypertension
More Further Articles:
- How To Do Utkatasana (Chair Pose) and It’s Benefits
- Yoga Poses To Cure Anxiety And Provide Stress Relief