Cavities, as well as tooth decay, is a common dental problem which can make you highly uncomfortable. A cavity is the formation of a hole in the tooth which triggers the process of decay. It can affect both the inner as well as an outer layer of the teeth.
It can affect both the inner as well as an outer layer of the teeth. There are various natural remedies on how to get rid of cavities which you can consider to get the natural treatment for your problem.
Here we have tried to provide all the details about the problem of cavities along with the causes as well as symptoms of the cavities. Read on to get information about major natural remedies to treat the cavities in an effective way.
What are cavities?
As mentioned earlier, development of a hole in a tooth is known as cavities. The process of formations of cavities damages the entire structure of the tooth. It is important to treat the problem at its initial stage to prevent it from growing deeper and bigger. There are some of the major causes as well as symptoms which you should always take care of.
Causes of cavities
Some of the major causes of cavities are given below.
When certain food products stuck between the teeth, they convert into acids due to bacteria. This may damage the enamel of the teeth and forms cavities. Thee food products are carbohydrates, cereal, bread, candies, sodas as well as cakes.
Aging of a person results into the widening of the distance between the teeth. This raises the risk of formation of plaque between the teeth.
- Dryness of mouth
Dryness of mouth can be a major cause of developing cavities as the saliva in a mouth is the main thing in stopping the development of plaque as well as washing off the food particles. This does not take place when you have a dry mouth.
- Less enamel
Lack of enamel, which helps in covering the teeth, can also lead to the creation of cavities.
- Pattern of teeth
If you have small teeth along with deep grooves, you are more on the risk of developing cavities. The accumulation of plaque may form in these deep grooves. This risk also appears in people with overlapping teeth.
- Symptoms of cavities
Although you may not notice any kind of symptom when the cavity starts to develop, you can see various major symptoms as the condition progresses. Some of the major symptoms of cavities are as follows.
- Pain while consuming sweets
- Development of stains on teeth
- Pain while chewing solid foods
- Toothache○ Holes in the teeth○ Increased sensitivity of teeth
Natural remedies to get rid of cavities
Using some of the major natural remedies helps in providing relief from cavities as well as helps in maintaining quality oral health. However, these treatments are not medically proven. It is recommended to consult your doctor before using them as well as for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Clove is rich in anti-inflammatory, antibacterial as well as analgesic properties. Due to this clove is also an important ingredient in treating various kind of dental issues. It is helpful in preventing the cavity from spreading.
- Mix 2-3 drops of clove oil in a ½ teaspoon of sesame seed oil and dilute properly.
- Take the mixture on a cotton ball.
- Place this mixture on the affected tooth
- Repeat the process every night before going to bed.
- You can also chew clove to extract its oil and then put the clove under your tongue for few minutes.
Garlic is also rich in antibiotic as well as antibacterial properties and therefore highly recommended for cavities as well tooth decay. Along with strengthening gums and teeth, garlic provides relief from pain.
- Make a paste by crushing 1-4 cloves of garlic and mixing it with ½ teaspoon of rock salt.
- Apply it to the teeth with cavities and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with the help of mouthwash.
- Use this method for few weeks.
- Another method is to use garlic oil directly on the affected tooth.
- You can also chew raw garlic for better results.
Antibacterial, as well as anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric, makes it a great remedy to remove pain due to cavities in Ayurveda. Along with preventing bacterial infection, it also helps in avoiding tooth decay.
- After applying turmeric powder on affected teeth leave it for few minutes and rinse well with the help of water.
- You can also use the paste of turmeric powder mixed with mustard oil.
- Not forget to rinse it on your teeth and leaving it for 10 minutes.
Salt contains antibacterial as well as antiseptic properties. It reduces inflammation and provides relief from pain. It also helps in removing infection as well as the growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt in water and mix well.
- Drink and Swish this mixture in your mouth.
- Concentrate more on the affected tooth.
- Repeat this symptom around 3 times every day.
- You can also mix ½ teaspoon of salt with lemon juice or mustard oil and then be massaging your teeth gently with it for few minutes.
- Gargle well with the help of warm water○ Using it for twice everyday helps in eliminating bacteria.
Various scientific studies have recommended using licorice roots to strengthen your teeth. Licorice roots are filled with important substances such as licoricidin as well as licorisonflavan A. These two products plays key role in preventing the growth of harmful bacteria which may cause cavities. Along with it, it also helps in reducing plaque.
- Brush your teeth with the help of dried licorice root powder regularly.
- You may also use a stick of licorice to brush your teeth every day.
- Oil pulling
It is a traditional remedy to reduce cavities as well as pain caused by it. Oil pulling is also helpful on bleeding gums as well as bad breath. It eliminates all the harmful bacteria from the mouth which can cause various dental problems.
- Take a tablespoon of sesame oil in your mouth
- For another 20 minutes, gently swish it.
- Avoid swallowing as well as gargling with it and spit it out.
- Use warm salt water to rinse your mouth well.
- Then brush your teeth normally.
- Use this process regularly in the morning on empty stomach.
- If sesame oil is not available, you can also use sunflower coconut oil.
● Indian gooseberry or Amla
Amla or Indian gooseberry is also highly useful in treating the issue of cavities. It is high in vitamin C as well as antioxidants and therefore works well in fighting harmful bacteria as well as infections. Along with it, Amla also helps in boosting the healing as well as the development of connective tissues which helps in benefiting gums. Along with getting rid of bad breath, Amla is also helpful in cleansing the entire mouth.
- You can consume an amla daily.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of dried amla powder with a ½ glass of water and drink daily.
- Consult with your doctor before consuming amla pills, if fresh amla or amla powder is not available.
By Prajakt K.