Baking soda and lemon are the two ingredients that are not just beneficial on their own but together as well. The array of health benefits that these master are beyond words and the best part of it all is that these remedies actually work.
Many people might often restrict the usage of lemon and baking soda to just the common go to for teeth whitening but it is way more than that.
In order to make a comprehensive not of all the baking soda and lemon benefits, we have tried to inculcate all the major benefits that one can be assured of with the usage of Baking soda and lemon.
What is Baking Soda and Lemon and Why is it Good?
Before we jump right into the health benefits of baking soda and lemon, it is best to know what these ingredients actually are and why they are beneficial for one’s health.
Baking soda, otherwise scientifically termed as sodium bicarbonate is a commonly used chemical compound whose formula is NaHCO3. It is useful for a number of purposes, in cleaning, cooking and even for a number of health ailments. It is a crystalline compound but almost has a powder like an appearance and tastes a bit on the salty side.
Lemon, on the other hand, is a fruit of an evergreen true which is native to the continent of Asia. These yellow fruits belong to the citrus group of fruits and are primarily tangy in taste. Owing to their high concentration of Vitamin C, acidic properties along with the antioxidant properties, they are a very valued fruit in the field of alternative medicine. They are also used in cooking and even cleaning purposes too.
Now that we are well versed with what these ingredients actually are, let us focus on why they are good for you.
Baking soda and lemon both have medicinal properties because of their constituents. Baking soda is rich in anti-inflammatory properties along with the neutralizing properties it has on the excess production of stomach acids. It has a pronounced effect on a number of health issues because of the amazing quality that it possesses.
Lemon, on the other hand, is rich in Vitamin C and antioxidant properties which makes it a favoured option easily for a number of health ailments.
With all of that out of the way, let us focus on some of the most important health benefits of baking soda and lemon.
Health Benefits of Baking Soda and Lemon
- Treats Cancer
- Helps Teeth Whitening
- Weight Loss
- Treat Acid Reflux
- Reduces Armpit Odour
- Cures Bad Breath
- Purifies Liver
- Promotes Heart Health
- Aids Digestion
- Removes Acne, Blemishes
- Get Rid of Dandruff
- Control Hairfall
1. Baking Soda and Lemon Treats Cancer
Even though baking soda surely does have amazing benefits for the treatment and possible prevention of cancer, the same is not the case with lemon. Baking soda and lemon separately cannot beneficially help prevent cancer. As the cancerous cells tend to grow better in an acidic environment which is why the introduction of a further acidic substance is just not the best idea. But, the combined usage of baking soda and lemon can help combat various cancerous outgrowths.
But with that being said, baking soda is amazing for the treatment of cancer (R), if you weren’t aware, it is mandatory for our blood’s pH to maintain the levels around 7.365 and any kind of distortion in the same often results in negative effects on the body. Baking soda, with its amazing alkaline property, helps in maintaining the blood’s pH level on the alkaline side so as to ensure proper functioning of the cells of the body.
For consumption, it is always necessary to ensure that you check your body’s blood pH before starting with the consumption of baking soda. If the pH is on the acidic side, only then should you proceed with the lemon juice and baking soda remedy and not otherwise.
- Take two tablespoons of lemon juice in a glass
- Add half a teaspoon of baking soda to it and let the fizzling die down
- Fill the glass with water and mix it thoroughly till everything dissolves
- Drink this at one go
It is necessary to get a timely checkup with the pH levels if you are consuming baking soda on a regular basis before the levels fluctuate to uncontrollable levels. It is very important to never consume this half an hour before or after meals because the same can disrupt the acid formation in the stomach which might lead to indigestion.
2. Baking Soda and Lemon for Teeth Whitening
The combined effects of baking soda and lemon have amazing benefits for whitening teeth and getting the stains off of them. The chemical composition of baking soda makes it an ideal chemical for whitening of the teeth because of its slight abrasive properties helps in getting rid of the stains. Not just that, the combined benefits of the citric acid in the lemon helps in imposing a bleaching property on the teeth, thereby whitening them.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of lemon juice
- Apply some of it on your toothbrush and brush your teeth with it for two minutes or so
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water
This can be repeated once every two months because regular usage of it will result in erosion of the enamel or just eating away of it which is a completely different result than what you are expecting.
3. Baking Soda and Lemon for Weight Loss
Weight loss, lemon juice and baking soda don’t have a direct link with each other. But, there are instances that show that the benefits of baking soda and lemon extend onto the clause of weight loss as well. Baking soda and lemon, even when they are consumed together, impose separate effects for weight loss. Baking soda and lemon both help in regulation of metabolism which contributes to weight loss. Baking soda also regulates the levels of cholesterol and LDLs in the body which inadvertently contributes to weight loss.
- Mix half a tablespoon of baking soda to two-three tablespoons of lemon juice in a glass
- Mix well to get rid of all the lumps
- Add lukewarm or cold water to the glass and drink that first thing in the morning
It is always advised to check the pH levels of the body before opting for any kind of remedy involving baking soda because of even the higher rate of alkalinity in the blood results in adverse effects.
4. Baking Soda and Lemon Ability to Treat Acid Reflux
Acid reflux is a very common occurrence in our day to day life because of overeating or other unhealthy eating habits. The formation of excess stomach acids is what causes a burning sensation in our gut and leaves us feeling uneasy and fidgety throughout the day.
The acid often even results in triggering anti-peristaltic movement which is never a good sign. The combination of lemon juice and baking soda is very beneficial in the treatment of signs and symptoms of stomach bloating, acid reflux and flatulence in the stomach.
- Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of lemon juice to half a glass of water
- Sip of this drink gradually to get instant relief from acid reflux
The alkaline properties of the baking soda helps balance out the excess acidity brought on about by the production of excess production of stomach acid. Use this remedy for an immediate effect on neutralizing the effects of acid reflux.
5. Baking Soda and Lemon Reduces Armpit Odour
Baking soda and lemon has amazing benefits in minimizing the armpit odour as well. The baking soda helps absorb the sweat from the underarms whereas the citric acid present in the lemon helps kill the bacterial growth in the area which is one of the primary reasons for the bad odour.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda and two tablespoons of lemon juice in a bowl
- Apply this directly onto the armpits and let it dry for 15 minutes
- Wash off with water after that
You can repeat this process every night before sleep to help level down the bad odour of the armpits. The only line of caution is to make sure that you avoid stepping out of the house with that on because the lemon can promote tanning of the area which you definitely don’t want.
6. Baking Soda and Lemon Cures Bad Breath
Bad breath is primarily caused because of improper oral hygiene or even a number of other health issues which is why it is best to opt for the amazing benefits of baking soda and lemon for getting rid of it once and for good.
The combination of lemon juice and baking soda is balancing out the acid balance of the mouth which is one of the primary reasons for bad breath or halitosis. The antibacterial and antioxidant properties of lemon help in killing the bacterial growth in the mouth that is responsible for bad breath.
- Add half a tablespoon of baking soda to a glass of water and mix well
- Add two tablespoons of lemon juice to it
- Gargle or rinse your mouth with this once a day
This can be done every other day for acquiring the best benefits of baking soda and lemon.
If you suffering from bad breath severely then try these Home Remedies for Bad Breath to cure it soon.
7. Baking Soda and Lemon Purifies Liver
The liver is the body’s primal organ for filtering of the toxins and the consumption of baking soda and lemon juice simply accentuates its activity. The combination of lemon juice and baking soda helps in getting rid of the harmful toxins from the body which is exactly what adds to improving the functions of the liver and the gallbladder which are the primary sites for toxin filtering in our body.
- Make a solution using half a teaspoon of baking soda, two tablespoons of lemon juice and a glass of water.
- Sip on this every two hours throughout the day
It’s still a line of caution to always stay under strict scrutiny and get your pH checked if you are regularly consuming baking soda because the altered pH to excessive alkalinity can cause adverse effects on the body.
8. Promotes Heart Health
Studies show that the consumption of baking soda and lemon helps in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the body, the levels of low density lipoprotein. This, in turn, reduces the risks of contraction of atherosclerosis which ensures to keep the risks of heart attacks and other heart ailments at bay.
9. Aids Digestion
If you are feeling bloated, mix half a teaspoon of baking soda and a tablespoon of lemon juice to half a glass of water and drink it to get rid of the signs and symptoms of indigestion or bloating.
Baking Soda and Lemon Benefits for Skin
10. Removes Acne Scars, Skin Blemishes and Skin Whitening
Baking soda and lemon have an amazing effect for the removal of acne scars primarily because of the wide range of benefits that they have on the skin. Baking soda helps in reducing excess oil formation on the skin all the while ensuring to maintain a healthy pH balance of the skin.
It even has mild anti-bacterial properties which come in handy for the treatment of acne scarring, skin blemishes and skin whitening. Lemon juice, on the hand, has skin lightening properties which is what helps in lightening the red spots that are often caused because of acne and pimples.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl
- Mix it well to get rid of the lumps and apply that on your face around the pimples and acne scarring or skin blemishes
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Wash it off with water, pat dry and apply some moisturizer to avoid excessive drying of the skin
- Repeat this process every three or four days till the marks go away
Baking Soda and Lemon for Hair
11. Baking Soda and Lemon Can Get Rid of Dandruff
Dandruff is a very common hair problem amidst the masses. The most common reason behind the same being the excess production of sebum in the scalp paired with dry scalp which results in flaking of the skin, thereby causing dandruff in the scalp. Baking soda and lemon juice combination actually work wonders for the treatment of this.
The baking soda in the mixture helps in soaking up the excess oil and sebum from the scalp and even maintains the pH of the scalp which helps in preventing the excess drying out of the scalp and thereby avoids skin scaling. Lemon, with its amazing antioxidant and acidic properties, help in keeping the infestation of bacteria away from the scalp, thereby keeping it clean.
- Mix considerable quantities of baking soda and lemon juice (in equal quantities) to cover your entire scalp
- Apply this paste all over your scalp and massage it in for a few minutes, gently exfoliating the skin on the scalp
- Let the mixture stay in your hair for about 5 minutes or so
- Wash your hair with water and a mild shampoo, if required
- Repeat this twice in a week till the scalp is completely rid of dandruff
12. Baking Soda and Lemon Control Hairfall
The benefits of baking soda and lemon are pronounced in controlling hair fall. The baking soda in the mixture act as a natural cleanser for the scalp and helps keep the scalp and hair healthy which is the primary way of ensuring proper hair growth. The lemon juice acts as a cleanser for the bacterial infestation in the area. Not just that, it even helps get rid of dandruff which in turn ensure a healthier hair growth, without any hindrance.
That being said, if you have a sensitive scalp, it is best to avoid such DIY hacks because the same can often inflict adverse effects.
- Make a baking soda and lemon wash with mixing equal quantities of lemon and baking soda and six times the water
- Mix it all together and wash your hair with it, ensuring to rub your scalp well in the process to get rid of the dirt and oil deposition
- Wash off with normal water and shampoo if you need to
- Repeat this once or twice a week for promising results
Side Effects of Baking Soda and Lemon
Although the combination of lemon juice and baking soda is actually beneficial for health, there are a number of instances when the side effects have outnumbered the list of benefits. If you are consuming for the baking soda and lemon benefits, it is always advisable to do so in considerable amounts and never overdo the same for “better” effects, because that often inflicts negative impact on the body.
Some of the noticeable side effects of baking soda and lemon include:
- Gas formation in the stomach
- Stomach pain
- Hypokalemia (decrease in potassium levels), Hypochloremia (decrease in chlorine levels) or Hypernatremia (increase in sodium levels)
- Possible heart failure with persistent consumption
- Muscle weakness
- Frequent urination
- Worsening of the kidney functions
The baking soda and lemon benefits have been in the talks since decades and they surely do inflict a number of positive changes in one’s health but everything comes with a price if done in an uncontrolled manner. It is necessary to sparingly use or consume baking soda and lemon to ensure effective impacts on the health and not the complete opposite of what you are expecting.