We all want clear skin, good grades and our crops thriving, don’t we?
But, it is definitely not something that we always get and achieve. It is often hard to maintain clear skin with no spots based off on the kind of lifestyle that the majority of us lead.
Somewhere or the other, we go to sleep one night and wake up with a big old blemish on our face. Skin blemishes are a very common happenstance and very easily curable at the same time.
Skin blemishes can root from a number of causes but it is a lot easier to get rid of blemishes with either the home remedies or sometimes even the over the top medication that you can source from any good drug store. Irrespective of whether you have fairly nice skin or your face is prone to acne and pimples, every person has had blemishes on their skin at least once in their life.
Blemishes often bring down one’s confidence and make them self-conscious. If you are finding yourself in the same category of people, don’t worry, we have got your back. In this article, you’ll find every single detail you need to know about blemishes and even how to remove blemishes at home without damaging your skin.
What are Blemishes on Face?
Before we jump headfirst into discussing the causes and cures, let us start off with the basics. So, what exactly are skin blemishes? Blemishes are the visible skin imperfections which are primarily caused either because of aging or oil clogged pores with excessive production of sebum from the sebaceous glands. There are various kinds of skin blemishes that can be categorized based off on their appearance and cause behind it.
The most common types of spot blemishes include:
- Dark spots or patches on the skin
- Uneven skin tone
- Pigmentation marks
- Acne scarring
- Age Spots
What are the Causes of Blemishes on Face?
Blemishes primarily are caused by the excess production of sebum by the sebaceous glands. But, apart from that, there are a number of other underlying reasons which can indefinitely be responsible for the problems relating to skin blemishes.
Some of the important causes of blemishes on the face include:
Excess Oil Production
Our skin is dispersed with sebaceous glands which secrete sebum that is responsible for maintaining the moisture in our face and skin. While the controlled production is definitely a must, excess production results in clogging of the pores on the face.
The excess oil secretion promotes the layering of the dead skin cells on the top of the pores, thereby clogging them and causing pimple or acne. The scarring from these often contributes to skin blemishes.
Immune Response to Bacteria Causing Acne
Any kind of foreign body is never tolerated by our immune system which is why when the bacterium P. acnes infests on our skin, our immune system fights back to kill these bacteria. What happens in turn? Our face is left with inflamed red spots and scarring which later causes blemishes.
Application of Makeup
Often, we look for ways to conceal the blemishes on our face and end up slathering a thick layer of makeup on our face, not realizing that the same further degrades the condition of the skin, further blocking the pores.
Not just that, there are even instances that claim the chemicals in the makeup can aggravate the condition of the skin blemishes and leave behind more marks and spots.
Heightened levels of stress reciprocate with the release of the hormone cortisol in the body. The same can start the excess secretion oil which is often unable to escape the body because of the clogged pores, causing acne and in turn, blemishes.
The category of blemishes, papules, and pustules, are primarily caused because of the excess consumption of dairy that the body can tolerate. This results in the body expressing the same in the form of red bumps on the skin.
These bumps often times leave behind scarring all around the face which causes skin blemishes.
Consistently Touching the Face
Consciously and unconsciously touching your face a lot of times throughout the day often tends to transfer the bacteria from our hands and fingertips to our face which is not something favorable if you want to get rid of the blemishes off your face.
How to Get Rid of Blemishes?
Blemishes can be a very big downer for a number of people and can leave behind a gaping hole in their self-confidence which is why it is best to understand the root cause of the problem and then move forward from there with the mode of prevention.
Some of the common ways to get rid of blemishes include:
- Keeping the body hydrated.
- Including more healthy vegetables and fruits in the diet
- Adding more detoxifying foods in the diet
- Getting proper night’s sleep
- Exfoliating the skin from time to time to keep the pores unclogged
Check Out These Natural Hacks To Get Rid Of Skin Blemishes.
Home Remedies for Blemishes
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is loaded with health benefits and the same carry forward to the treatment of blemishes as well. It is high in antioxidant properties along with astringent properties which help remove blemishes fast.
- Soak a cotton pad with a bit of diluted apple cider vinegar and dab it over the areas of concern.
- It helps in getting rid of blemishes, especially acne scarring or even the redness around the skin.
The slight acidity of the vinegar helps in a lightening of the blemishes and it also helps in maintaining a balance of the pH on the face. This helps clear the face out and remove blemishes at home.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel is considered one of the most effective remedies for skin care and that statement stands true as a treatment for blemishes as well. It is loaded with amazing skin rejuvenating properties that help fight the issues that are often left behind because of an array of causes behind the blemishes.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf and extract the pulp from inside it.
- Blend it to a smooth paste without any additional water and apply this over the face and massage it into the skin in circular motions.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash off with water.
Aloe vera also has cooling and soothing properties. So, if you have been feeling itchiness and roughness around the various areas of the face, this could be an amazing remedy.
- Crush one or two aspirin tablets and make a powder of make.
- Add some water to it to make a smooth paste and apply it over the affected areas of the blemishes.
- Leave it on till it dries out completely and then washes it off.
- Repeat this once daily until the results start to show.
This remedy can also be paired with other skin healing ingredients like honey and lemon for further better results.
4. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is not just good for baking purposed but the same has pronounced effects for the treatment of blemishes on the face as well. It is loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which come a lot in handy to get rid of blemishes and scarring from the face.
- Wash your hands thoroughly first and then apply a little bit of cocoa butter over the affected area of the blemish and rub it into the skin.
- You can leave it overnight as well. Repeat this process every night.
Apart from the above-mentioned properties, cocoa butter also helps in moisturizing the skin which is an added bonus.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda, with its amazing alkalizing properties, helps in maintaining the pH of the skin, especially on the face. It also has exfoliating properties that help in getting rid of the dead skin cells that are most likely responsible for causing the blemishes in the first place.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with either lemon juice or water.
- Make a smooth thick paste and apply it over the affected areas of the blemish.
- Leave it on for a few minutes till it dries and then wash it off with cold water.
The exfoliating and the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of the baking soda all work together to lighten the appearance of the blemishes and is thus one of the best natural ways to remove blemishes from the face.
6. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is loaded with beneficial nutrients and antioxidants which come a lot in handy for the treatment of blemishes and dark patches on the skin. If you have had complaints regarding discoloration on the skin or uneven skin tones, this remedy can help you a lot.
- You can either opt for the over the counter Vitamin C serums that are available
- Or, you can mix one tablespoon of lemon juice and honey and apply it over the areas of concern
The extract of lemon juice which is rich in Vitamin C helps in lightening the appearance of the blemishes and make them look a lot better than before. You can use this remedy every day to get rid of blemishes.
7. Calamine Lotion
If you didn’t know it, calamine lotion is rich in zinc which is an amazing ingredient for getting rid of the excess oil from the face. It helps soak up the excess secreted sebum which is what helps unclog the pores and thereby is one of the best remedies for blemishes on the face.
- Apply the calamine lotion directly on the affected area of the blemish.
- Massage it lightly into the skin and leave it on.
- Repeat this every night.
The zinc in the calamine lotion is also a very effective constituent for the treatment of acne which helps in avoiding the symptoms of scarring and inflammation.
8. Egg White
Egg white is loaded with natural skin toning properties which is amazing in keeping the skin feeling tight and fresh. It is also loaded with beneficial enzymes which work wonders to lighten and remove blemishes fast.
Separate the egg white from the yolk and apply it onto the face with a brush or you can even use your fingers
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes or till it dries down completely
- Wash it off with a mild face wash to get rid of the stench of raw egg whites
- Use a moisturizer after pat drying the skin with a towel
Egg white has very nourishing effects on the skin which is what helps in making the skin feel rejuvenated and fresh and removes the signs and symptoms of blemishes on the face.
- Peel a garlic clove and make it into a fine paste
- You can either apply it directly over the affected areas of the blemishes or mix it will a bit of moisturizing lotion or then apply it over the blemish-prone area.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with water and facewash to get the smell of garlic off
Garlic is not just good for the overall lightening of the blemishes but also helps prevent the recurrence of pimples and acne which contributes to clear and healthy skin.
Ginger is loaded with amazing beneficial properties that contribute to the skin blemishes treatment. It is believed that the Vitamin C content in ginger is specifically beneficial in the treatment of skin blemishes. Not just that, it also has astringent properties (R) which help in the prevention of acne and also helps fight the formation of wrinkles (R) on the face.
- Peel a small piece of ginger and extract the juice after blending and passing it through a fine cloth
- Apply this juice over the areas of skin blemishes, wrinkles and other problems
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Wash it off with water
- Repeat this once or twice every day
If the ginger juice extract is not something you want to opt for, you can also sip on ginger tea once or twice daily to get rid of blemishes and acne from the skin.
11. Green Tea
Green Tea is loaded with antioxidants (R) which are very beneficial to remove blemishes at home. It helps in fighting the inflammation (R) and scarring that is often caused because of acne and pimples. The antioxidants in the green tea effectively fight the excess free radicals which are the primary cause of pimples and acne on the skin which leads to the formation of blemishes.
- You can drink two-three cups of green tea every day
- Or, steep a teabag of green tea for a good 10 minutes in a cup and then apply that tea bag on the blemish-prone areas
Green tea also effectively downs the amount of inflammation that’s caused to the skin which is another amazing way to remove blemishes fast without any bad side effects.
12. Salicylic Acid
Salicylic acid has very pronounced effects as one of the best remedies for blemishes on the face. It helps to dissolve the dead skin cells (R) that often clog the pores on the face. It helps in getting rid of the excess sebum production from the face as well which reduces the risks of acne and pimples (R).
- Get the over the counter salicylic acid creams or toners that are available and apply them over the affected part of the face either with cotton pads.
- Apply this to the skin every other day.
It is always advised to not abruptly stop the usage of salicylic acid for the blemishes and rather ensure to use on a regular basis to keep the skin exfoliated and clean so as to avoid the possible recurrence of blemishes and dark spots.
13. Shea Butter
Shea butter is loaded with amazing beneficial properties that are great for the skin. The moisturizing properties of the skin are very beneficial in ensuring that the skin is soft and supple rather than rough and harsh. It is also very rich in Vitamin A which is beneficial for skin blemishes treatment.
- Start off with cleaning your face with a face wash and then pat dry the skin
- Apply a good amount of shea butter all over the face and massage it in with light fingers
- Leave it on the face and go to sleep
- Repeat this every single night
Shea butter is an amazing remedy to remove the appearance of scars and pimple marks. It also helps in keeping the skin young and devoid of wrinkles.
Honey is full of not just moisturizing properties but emollient properties (R) too. It helps in providing the skin with a boost of rejuvenation and recovers the dead skin cells that clog the majority of the pores of the time. It is also loaded with antioxidant properties which further boost the destruction of the free radicals that are often the reason behind the acne and blemishes.
- Apply a generous layer of honey on your affected areas of the blemishes
- Leave it on for 15 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water followed by cold water to open the pores and keep their pore size shrinked
- Repeat this once every day
If you are looking for natural ways to remove blemishes, honey is definitely one of the most effective yet easiest hacks for blemishes that actually works wonders.
Potato is loaded with amazing lightening agents that help in erasing the dark spots caused because of the various problems related to skin blemishes. If you weren’t sure, potato even has certain enzymes present in it which has bleaching properties in them.
- Grate one potato and squeeze the juice out of it using a muslin cloth
- Apply this juice over the area of the blemish or the area with the most problem
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes
- Wash it off with some water
- Repeat this once or twice daily till the dark marks fade away
Potato juice is very effective in getting rid of the dark circles too. The slight bleaching property is what aids in the process.
16. Neem Leaves
Neem leaves not just has antibacterial properties (R) but is also great in absorbing the excess oil that is often produced in the face. It helps in unclogging the pores by getting rid of the dead cells that mesh over the over, thereby clearing them and ensuring that the same doesn’t further cause any acne or pimples.
- Make a paste of neem leaves and honey, ensuring that it’s completely smooth and blended
- Apply this over your face and leave it as a face mask for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse it off later with water and apply some moisturizer if needed
- Repeat this twice a week
Neem leaves are amazing to keep the signs of skin blemishes at bay with their amazing healing and nourishing properties and it is thus best to use the neem leaves and not rely on the over the counter face packs.
There are a few side effects which you must aware of. Go through this article side effects of Neem.
17. Tomato Juice
Tomato is nourished with the amazing properties of Vitamin C along with antioxidants (R) which are exactly what helps in the treatment for blemishes. It helps in lightening the tan of the skin and gets rid of the dark spots and marks on the skin because of the blemishes.
- Apply tomato pulp all over the face and rub it into the skin
- Let it sit for 5-10 minutes
- Wash off with normal water
- Repeat this once every day
The benefits of tomato help in ensuring to provide with not just a clear skin but a glowing skin on top of that.
18. Oils for Blemishes on face
The last thing you would actually think of as a treatment for blemishes is the application of oils, isn’t it? But, what if I said that it actually has amazing results on helping get rid of the marks and dark spots that accompany skin blemishes? A few categories of oil, when applied on the affected part of the face with blemishes, helps in getting rid of the dried and dead skin cells that end up clogging the pores.
These often help in providing the skin with ample moisturisation and nourishment which helps in getting rid of the problems that accompany blemishes. There are some oils that are also loaded with anti-oxidant and vitamins which further provide with amazing benefits to the skin.
Some of the amazing oils that help cure blemishes include:
It is always best to apply these oils before sleep after cleaning the skin thoroughly. Massage the oil into the skin and leave it on for the night and wash it off with some water and mild facewash the next morning. It will dissolve the dirt and germs in the clogged pores and unclog the pores which ensure to let the skin breathe and make it look more glowing and beautiful.
Ripened papaya is an amazing remedy for treating the problems with blemishes. It helps unclog the pores and gets rid of the excess sebum (R) which ensures to prevent the production of acne and pimples. It is also loaded with a number of enzymes that have amazing skin lightening and removal of dark spots from the face and the skin on a general.
- Cut a few pieces of papaya and blend it into a puree
- Add this mixture on your face and leave it on for a few minutes
- Wash off with regular water, pat dry and apply some moisturizer if needed
If you are also suffering from skin burns or irritated skin in general, papaya is an amazing remedy for that as well.
[Also Read: Health Benefits Of Papaya Leaf Extract]
Face Mask to Remove Blemishes From the Face
19. Turmeric Face Mask
Turmeric is loaded with amazing antiseptic and antibacterial properties (R) which come into focus to remove blemishes fast and effectively. The constituent, Curcumin is very effective in treating the signs and symptoms related to skin blemishes. It helps even out skin tone and gets rid of the dark spots and discoloration on the face.
- Mix two tablespoons of turmeric powder with two-three tablespoons of milk
- Make a smooth paste and apply it all over the face and other affected area
- Leave the face pack on for 10-15 minutes
- Wash it off with water following that.
You can repeat this process once or twice every week.
20. Oatmeal Face Mask
Oatmeal has an amazing exfoliating property (R) (R) which is what helps in getting rid of the trapped oils and dirt from the pores on the face. It helps in clearing out the pores and leaving them clean and devoid of any excess sebaceous gland secretion.
- Ground up rolled oats and make a coarse powder with it
- Add some milk to make a smooth and thick paste
- Apply this all over the face and massage it gently for a few minutes
- Leave it on for 5 minutes
- Wash it off with water and pat dry and apply a bit of moisturizer
Apply this twice every week for promising results.
21. Orange Peel Face Mask
Orange is jammed packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants which is beneficial in perishing the growth of bacteria in the clogged pores that cause the maximum problem with skin blemishes. It cleanses the pores and gets rid of the blackheads and other underlying dirt and makes the skin feel soft and supple.
- Buy any over the counter orange peel mask
- Apply this all over the face, excluding the eyes and the mouth region
- Leave it on for a few minutes till the mask completely dries
- Peel it off after that and wash your face and pat dry
Repeat this twice or thrice every week.
22. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth is not just a deep cleanser of the pores but also helps in tightening the skin which helps avoid the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is also a great absorbent and helps absorb the excess oil that is often produced by the sebaceous glands.
- Add two tablespoons of fuller’s earth to a bowl and make a smooth paste with adding water to it
- Apply this all over your face as you would with a face pack
- Leave it on till it completely dries down
- Wash it off with water and pat dry the skin and apply a bit of moisturizer, if required
Repeat this process twice or thrice a week for noticeable results.
23. Essential Oils to Remove Blemishes On
Essential oils need no specific introduction about its skin benefits. It has distinct and amazing benefits on the skin, especially for rejuvenating the lost shine and glow of the skin. Not just that, these oils also have amazing properties in not just clearing the skin and the pores but lift up one’s spiritual mood as well which often contributes to the overall well being and thereby to the overall skin health as well.
Some of the common essential oils to remove blemishes include:
- Tea Tree Oil
- Rosehip Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Lavender Oil
These essential oils are jam-packed with beneficial antioxidant properties and have great nourishing benefits to the skin which helps to cure blemishes. Apply these essential oils in sparing amount (one to two drops) and massage it into the skin and leave it overnight for promising results.
How to Hide Blemishes With Makeup?
Hiding blemishes with makeup is not rocket science, rather quite the opposite. If you have very blemish-prone skin, there are possibilities that the scarring and spots will persistently remain on your face. The power of makeup is profound when it comes to hiding away the spots and imperfections that come along with the blemished skin.
Some of the easiest yet effective makeup tips to hide blemishes include the following steps:
- Moisturize your face with a good quality face cream or lotion
- Apply a pore blurring primer on the areas where your pores are the emphasized the maximum
- Spot conceal and colour correct the areas of the face that have the maximum discolouration or redness
- Pump out your foundation on the back of your hand and either use a foundation brush or a beauty sponge to apply it all over the face. It is always best to go for a full coverage foundation for better results
- Apply concealer wherever you need some extra coverage and need to brighten up the face
- The base make up is mostly this and if you want a further look, go for contouring, bronzing and highlight for that extra oomph
Lifestyle Tips to Prevent Blemishes
Blemishes and the recurrence of it mostly depend on our choices, diet and lifestyle. Any kind of discrepancies in the same often results in skin problems which gradually result in the formation of blemishes on the face.
In order to combat and prevent the formation of blemishes, here are a few lifestyle tips that you can focus on to keep blemishes at bay.
- Keep your body hydrated at all times because that helps in proper excretion of toxins from the body, and prevents the coagulation of the same in the pores.
- Try and avoid oily, fried and greasy food
- Exercise on a regular basis to help keep the metabolic activities of the body in check
- Sleep a good night’s sleep for proper rejuvenation
Difference Between Blemishes, Acne and Pigmentation
Blemishes, acne, and pigmentation are three completely different skin imperfections which are confused to be similar even though they are not. Even if their ground of causes may be a bit similar, their appearance and remedial approaches are considerably different.
Blemishes are the cumulative outcomes that are left behind on the skin as scar marks or even discoloration or heavy pigmentation. All of these symptoms cumulatively are regarded as blemishes and not just one skin issue.
Acne, on the other hand, is the red bumps on the skin which are primarily caused because of clogged pores and excessive secretion of sebum in the face. It often is filled with white fluid like pus, and they hurt when tried to poke or meddled with. They cause a bit of inflammation around the affected area as well.
Pigmentation is the excessive accumulation of the pigment Melanin on the skin. When the concentration of melanin is considerably high in certain parts of the face, the skin there appears darker than the rest of the skin and even the complete opposite of it can happen with the lack of pigmentation in the area, causing lightening of the skin tone in comparison to the rest of the face.
On a concluding note, it is just to emphasise that skin blemishes can be caused a number of reasons but if you are looking for natural ways to remove blemishes, the above mentioned remedies should make it easier for you to get rid of it for good.