Oily skin, the mere thought of it makes us go insane. For the ample troubles and more than the pain; it causes embarrassment for us. Oily skin care takes a lot more than just simple skin care routine, but with little practice, you can counter the seasonal effects of weather on the skin making it sticky and oily, more prone to acne and breakouts. Though oils on skin help us in protecting our skin from harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun but too much oil on the skin causes pimples, blemishes, and acne. So it is necessary to treat oily skin and prevent the side effects like premature signs of aging, wrinkles, pigmentation, and acne.
What is Oily Skin:
Oily skin in scientific terms is too much deposition of sebum or natural skin oils on our dermal surface. People with oily skin begin to feel sticky and greasy patches all over the skin within few minutes of washing the face. Oil built up makes it necessary to wash your face ample times else you would look like a shimmering face of oily deposition, which in a way makes you feel embarrassed.
People with oily skin may not need regular moisturizing but they do need sunblock to prevent sunburn. Using an oil free sunscreen can help in treating the skin condition too also preventing blemishes and scars from sunburn.
What are the causes of oily skin:
There are several factors contributing to your oily skin but most of all genetics and environment play a vital role. Shiny complexion is not necessarily a beauty addition, and specially when it is the outcome of oily skin. Some of the oily skin causes are:
Sebum is secreted by hot weather and humidity. This causes oily triggers on skin specially around pores. But in dry climate skin can chap off and get arid. Thus triggering oil glands to compensate by producing more oils.
Oily skin and excess sebaceous gland secretions can be passed on from one generation to another as they run in family. If someone in your family has excess sebaceous glands producing too much oils, then it is possible that you also have it.
3- Over washing the face:
Over washing the face dehydrates the skin specially if you use too many cosmetics and abrasive chemical products. Thus our skin begins to produce more sebum post such washing, which causes oily skin
4- Improper diet:
Poor diet and inadequate essential nutrients causes sebum to be triggered. Eating junk and spicy food along with too much oils causes greasy secretions on our skin thus resulting in oily skin
5- Hormonal changes:
Hormonal changes also result in sebum secretions on our skin. During puberty, pregnancy and menopause these sebaceous glands are on their highest activity due to hormonal triggers in our body, thus causing oily skin
Stress is also known to trigger sebum secretions thus resulting in oily skin. Improper sleep and induced anxiety causes depression and stress thus resulting in oily skin
Some medicines are known to trigger oily secretions on our skin. They also interfere with our hormonal cycle and thus cause too much oil on our face skin
How to Care for Oily Skin:
Oily skin demands a lot more care than normal skin for any slight deviation can trigger sebum resulting in major skin deformities. You must ensure keeping the skin adequately moist and not use any abrasive products. Some oily skin care tips include:
- Clean your face at least twice a day with good face wash for oily skin
- Remove makeup before hitting the bed
- Eat a lot of fiber specially the green leafy vegetables as they help in detoxification and absorption of excess oils
- Eat more protein which will help in reducing sebum secretions
- Eat more Vitamin B2 foods like kernels, nuts and beans which help in absorbing excess oils from our skin
- Reduce or stop consuming sugar and fat foods
- Stay off caffeine and chocolates
- Check expiry of all cosmetics you use on your skin.
- Use seasonal skincare items like sunblock for heat, moisturizer for dry weather and more of such
- Drink a lot of water as it helps in detoxification and preventing skin deformities.
How to Treat Oily Skin Naturally:
Egg Whites are good for treating oily skin blemishes as they dry the skin from excess oils and also tone and tighten up oily skin.
- Apply some whipped egg white on face and let it dry.
- Wash it with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, make a mixture of egg white and lemon juice
- Apply it on the face.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes
- Now rinse it with warm water.
Tomatoes are great for oily skin due to multiple benefits it offers like; cooling and clearing the skin. The natural acids in tomatoes have oil absorbing effects, and they help in getting rid of excess oil.
- Rub a tomato slice on your skin till the juice soaks in the skin.
- Rinse after 15 minutes with cold water
- Repeat twice a day
Yogurt helps to exfoliate the skin and also absorbs excess oil secretions. Yogurt is also soothing to the skin thus helping in relaxing the pain from acne.
- Apply plain yogurt on the face.
- Leave it for 25 minutes
- Now wash it with lukewarm water.
- Alternately mix oatmeal and honey with yogurt
- Now apply this mixture on the face.
- Wash it off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water
Cucumbers help in managing oily skin as it has their cooling effects. It is also a natural astringent, with amazing soothing properties. Cucumbers are also rich in vitamins and minerals, magnesium, and potassium, which are good for oily skin.
- Rub a slice of cucumber before going to bed.
- Wash it in the morning with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, make a mixture of cucumber juice and lime juice
- Now apply it on the face and hands.
- It helps in lightening freckles and reduces sunburn too.
5- Oatmeal Scrub
- Use plain and unsweetened oatmeal.
- Blend to break it into smaller pieces.
- Mix with aloe vera gel and form a paste.
- Rub this paste on your face and neck area.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
6- Mashed Mango Mask
- Mash a little bit of ripe mango.
- Rub it on your face gently in circular motion.
- Keep it for a few minutes.
- Then rinse off with lukewarm water
7- Egg White Mask
- Egg white can be used to soak excess oils from your face.
- Take 1 teaspoon honey with an egg white.
- Stir it to make a smooth paste.
- Add a little gram flour and make a thick paste.
- Apply on your face
- Leave this mask for 5 minutes
- Now rinse it off with lukewarm water
8- Clay Mask
- Take facial clay powder
- Mix 2 teaspoons of clay with warm water
- Now apply evenly on your face and neck.
- Leave it for 5 minutes.
- It must not dry and rinse it off with cold water.
9- Apple Cider Vinegar Spray
- Mix equal parts of vinegar with water
- Put it in a small spray bottle
- Use this solution as a toner on your face at least twice a day
10- Green Tea Toner
- Green tea is known for its anti-oxidant property and also as a skin purifier.
- Take a tea-spoon of green tea.
- Brew it a little strong in half cup water.
- Cool it down
- Now store in a spray bottle.
- Spray directly on your face
- This natural toner can be used twice a day.
How not to damage essential oils for oily skin restoration:
- Regular cleaning with mild face wash will help to keep oily skin under control. Specially when you come home from outside, wash your face well.
- Make it a habit to apply an astringent or toner to remove the dirt and close the pores on the skin post washing the face.
- Use water based moisturizer to retain the moisture content on the skin.
- Stay off caffeine drinks as they heat up the system and trigger the production of excess oils.
- Carbonated drinks are high in sugar content and they form pimples on the oily skin.
- Oil is not moisture and you still need to adequately moisturize your skin well.
- Keep your skin hydrated by consuming lots of water.
- Use good moisturizer which matches your oily skin after consulting your dermatologist
- Use sunscreen lotion before going out in the sun, as the sun causes havoc on the skin and triggers the sebaceous glands to secrete excess oil.
- Fried, junk and fatty food must be avoided as they cause excess oil secretion on the skin.
- Consumption of high calorie or sweet foods also increase sebum and cause pimples
- Increase the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables as they give healthy and nourished skin.