So, how many times has it happened that you are here sat in front of your working desk typing away when suddenly, you start feeling itchiness and irritation around your eyes?
Happens quite often, right?
Especially during the dry and winter season. But, are you here wondering about the potent cure for dry eyes that can provide with instant relief?
Dry eyes can derive from the common grounds of health issues or even environmental factors. Whatever the reason be, it is quite important to pay close attention to it and get rid of the problem for good using remedies or even eye drops.
In this article, we are going to be walking ourselves through the natural remedies for dry eyes that can provide you with relief effectively.
What are Dry Eyes?
Dry eye is a common condition which is characterized by the lack of proper lubrication of the eyes. It is mainly because of the fact that the eyes tend to have problems producing enough tears to keep the eyes hydrated and moistened.
Often also known as keratoconjunctivitis, the condition of dry eyes can impose excessive irritation and itching around the perimeter of the eyes. The layer of tear around our eyes is a blanket that not just keeps the eyes hydrated; they also help protect them from any outer antigen that could impose a threat on it.
What are the Causes of Dry Eyes?
Again, when it comes to the causes of dry eyes, as mentioned above, it can range from health reasons to environmental factors. There could be a wide range of reasons behind the same and we are going to be sharing some of the common ones with you.
- Persistent and prolonged exposure to dry and cold weather conditions around
- Prevailing dysfunctionality with the tear glands and in the process of tear production
- Allergies and hay fever
- Avoiding blinking for a longer stretch of time
- Certain medications and over the counter drugs which impose antihistamine or even decongesting properties on an individual
- Wearing a contact lens for a longer period of time
- Vitamin deficiencies like that of Vitamin A as well as Vitamin D
- Consistently staring at the computer with naked eye
- Health disorders like that of hypothyroidism, improper immunity and even arthritis could very well be a potent reason
Common Symptoms of Dry Eyes
Dry eyes are often so momentary that not many people tend to classify it as a condition. That is where people go wrong. If you are experiencing any of the below enlisted symptoms and that too for a prolonged period of time, it is time that you pay your doctor a visitor opt for the home remedies to cure dry eyes naturally.
Some of the common symptoms of Dry Eyes include:
- Consistent irritation in the eyes
- Itching inside as well as around the perimeter of the eyes and eyelids
- Redness around the eyes
- Blurry vision because of unprecedented tearing of the eyes
- Dryness and a grainy texture in and around the eyes
Home Remedies for Dry Eyes
When it comes to the various methods to treat dry eyes naturally, the possibilities are quite endless. From the common grounds of reaching out for the effective eye drops to sticking to the ingredients you find lying around in your home, the dry eyes treatment can actually be done via several methods.
1. Diet to Relieve Dry Eyes
As mentioned before, the lack of proper levels of vitamins and minerals in the body can often end up being the primary reason behind dry eyes. The lack of Vitamin A and D in the body in proper levels is often times considered as the primary reason behind the dysfunctional properties of the tear glands.
It is not just a superficialassumptions but an actual scientific fact. The deficiency of Vitamin A (R), Vitamin B12 (R) as well as Vitamin D (R) is associated with the consistent development of the condition.
Apart from the inclusion of necessary vitamins in the diet, it is also important to increase the intake of foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. This is quite beneficial in ensuring regulated secretion of the tear that helps keep the eyes lubricated.
What to do?
- Increase the consumption of cereals, egg yolks, orange juice, broccoli, spinach etc. to boost the levels of Vitamins in the body.
- For the proper intake of omega-3 fatty acids, ensure to increase the consumption of fishes like salmon, mackerel, soyabeans, chia seeds etc.
- Alternatively, if you are planning on the consuming supplements for the condition, it is best advised to stick to the doctor’s prescription and not self medicate.
- When it comes to how much should one consume, it depends on the kind of body ratio and requirements that a person needs as per their level of deficiency.
2. Castor Oil for Dry Eyes
The main reason behind the effective properties of the castor oil on dry eyes is because of the fact that it helps lubricating the eyes effectively. The ricinoleic acid (R) (R) present in the castor oil is what helps it lubricate the eyes to prevent the development of dry eyes.
Apart from that, the beneficial anti-inflammatory (R) properties of the oil further help boost in the prevention of the burning and irritation caused in the eyes.
What to do?
- Source some pure castor oil
- Using a clean dropper, pour 1-2 drops of it into your eyes
- Leave it in
- Do this 2-3 times everyday
- Note: In case you don’t find pure castor oil, the next best option is to use the eye drops made with castor oil.
3. Coconut Oil for Dry Eyes
Yet another amazing remedy to relieve the symptoms of dry eyes is to opt for coconut oil. Owing to the fact that it is loaded with beneficial fatty acids like that of capric and lauric acid, it helps in moisturizing and lubricating the eyes effectively.
Apart from that, coconut oil is also loaded with beneficial antimicrobial (R) and anti-inflammatory (R) properties which further help in getting rid of the problems associated with the condition of dry eyes.
What to do?
- Get 100% pure extra virgin coconut oil
- Using a clean dropper, pour 1-2 drops of coconut oil into your eyes
- Leave it in
- Applying the coconut oil 2-3 times in a day is more than enough. Make sure to not cross that bar in a day.
4. Yogurt for Dry Eyes
Yet another amazing way to cure dry eyes permanently is by using yogurt. Yogurt and its bioactive compounds have profound impacts on our overall body functions which is exactly what helps in getting rid of the dry eyes effectively.
It is loaded with not just proactive compounds but essential vitamins like Vitamin B and Vitamin D too which is believed to have profound impacts on getting rid of the dry eye syndrome gradually.
What to do?
- Consume a bowl of yogurt with some fruits
- 1-2 bowls of yogurt every day
5. Aloe Vera for Dry Eyes
The application of aloe vera for the treatment of dry eyes dates back to history. It is loaded with active compounds in its composition which are believed to impose beneficial impacts in helping getting rid of any kind of inflammation (R) or irritation caused because of the dry eyes.
The combination of ethanol and ethyl acetate does impose beneficial properties in getting rid of the dryness and the inflammation caused around the perimeter of the eyes. Also, aloe vera consists of effective antimicrobial (R) and antioxidant (R) properties which prevent infection and free radical damage caused around the eyes.
What to do?
- Apply a thin coat of aloe vera gel on the eyelids.
- Be careful that you don’t end up applying the aloe vera in a way that it enters the eyes
- Apply a generous amount of the gel on the eyelids and do this 2-3 times daily
6. Colloidal Silver for Dry Eyes
The application of colloidal silver in the dry eyes treatment has been in practice for quite some time now. While this has been a popular remedy for treating eye conditions like that of conjunctivitis and any kind of eye infection, it is also believed to have profound impacts on the overall condition of dry eyes.
Studies have suggested that the usage of colloidal silver for dry eyes is actually beneficial, mainly because of the presence of the antimicrobial properties which helps get rid of any signs of allergies or infections.
What to do?
- Get an eye drop medicated with colloidal silver
- Pour 1-2 drops in each eye and close your lids for 1-2 minutes
- Make sure that you are not putting more than 1-2 drops at one go and stick to using the drop for once or twice every day.
7. Fish Oil for Dry Eyes
Yet another one of the methods of treatment for dry eyes includes that of the fish oil. Loaded with beneficial amounts of omega-3 fatty acids and good quantity compounds that promote better eye health and retinal health, it is not surprising that people who tend to rely on the fish oil as a source of these nutrients have better eye health.
If you are skeptical about the amount you should consume to get rid of dry eyes, it is necessary to consult a doctor without fail. Don’t self diagnose.
What to do?
- Consume the fish oil capsules as per the doctor prescription
- The quantity, as mentioned before, depends completely on what the doctor suggests
8. Flaxseed Oil for Dry Eyes
Flaxseed has already been designated as an effective superfood and the essential oil extracted from it is no different when it comes to the beneficial health benefits it imposes.
As mentioned before, omega-3 fatty acids do make up for a subsequent amount of nutrition responsible for keeping the symptoms of dry eyes at bay. If you have been consistently suffering from the signs and symptoms of dry eyes, it is essential to consume flaxseed oil in permissible quantities.
The presence of the alpha linolenic acid in the flaxseed oil is successfully converted to two active omega-3 fatty acid compounds – eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid. These have potent properties as a cure for dry eyes.
Even in a conducted study, it was found that the supplementation of flaxseed oil in subjects was successful in getting rid of the signs of dry eyes. It is always best suggested to consult a doctor before starting supplementing with flaxseed oil.
9. Ghee for Dry Eyes
The usage of ghee to relieve dry eyes has recently gotten popular. The amazing hydrating and moisturizing properties of ghee actually does help in getting rid of the lack of moisture which is often the primary reason behind the condition of dry eyes.
Being a cool oil, ghee is actually quite beneficial in getting rid of the dryness, itchiness and red appearance around the eyes. This is beneficial in getting rid of the itchiness as well as the inflammation that often affects the eye health of an individual.
What to do?
- Rub some ghee in between your fingers to slightly liquidify and warm it up
- Apply this on the eyelids and around the eyelashes making sure it doesn’t enter the eyes directly
- Do this process 1-2 times daily
10. Cucumber for Dry Eyes
Apart from the cooling effect, it is also loaded with Vitamin A which is believed to have effective impacts in soothing the irritation and restoring the lubrication around the eyes.
What to do?
- Wash a cucumber thoroughly with the skin on
- Cut some ½ inch round slices of the cucumber
- If required, put them in the fridge for 5 minutes
- Apply them on the eyes and leave it on
- Do this multiple times throughout the day to help soothe and relieve dry eyes.
11. Chamomile Tea for Dry Eyes
Next on the list of effective remedies to relieve the symptoms of dry eyes include the chamomile tea. Loaded with beneficial soothing and therapeutic (R) benefits, the chamomile tea is actually quite beneficial in getting rid of the inflammation and pain that often affects the dry eyes.
The combination of the soothing along with the anti-inflammatory (R) properties in the chamomile tea effective help gets rid of the dry eyes effectively. It also helps replenish the lost moisture and lubrication which is definitely an added bonus.
What to do?
- Steep some chamomile in a bowl of boiling water for 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid and dip it into the fridge
- Let it cool for sometime
- Soak a cotton ball in the liquid and place them over your eyes
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes
- Do this remedy for 3-4 times in a day if possible
12. Olive Oil for Dry Eyes
The combination of beneficial properties of the olive oil in terms of moisturisation and lubrication (R) is what helps in ensuring that your eyes are safe and sound from the condition of dry eyes.
Apart from that, olive oil is also loaded with oleic and linoleic acid which are believed to help restore the lost moisture from your eyes. Keeping them aside, it is also loaded with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory (R) properties which further help in getting rid of the irritation and inflammation around the eyes.
What to do?
- Rub a few drops of olive oil in between your fingers
- Apply the same on your close eyelids and eyelash region too
- Keep your eyes closed for the time being
- Let the oil seep into the skin
- Do this 2-3 times with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil for beneficial impacts
13. Hot Compress for Dry Eyes
Not only does the hot compress help in restoring the lost moisture because of the hampered tear film, it also helps soothe the inflammation, irritation and itching that many people often complain about. It also effectively helps in restoring the lost moisture effectively and thus is an easy way to treat dry eyes at home.
What to do?
- Boil some water making sure it’s not too hot and bearable instead
- Soak a towel into it and wring out the excess moisture
- Apply this over the eyes and leave it
- Do this process multiple times throughout the day for beneficial impacts
14. Manuka Honey for Dry Eyes
If you weren’t aware of it, the usage of honey gels and eye drops have been in practice for quite some time now and all for the right reasons. It is loaded with beneficial antimicrobial, antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties (R) which all together impose beneficial impacts in treating the condition of dry eyes.
The application of the honey drops help in lubricating the eyes and relieves the symptoms of dry eyes.
What to Do?
- Boil 1 cup of water till it comes down to half
- Cool the water down completely
- To that, add 1 tablespoon of honey and mix everything together
- Using a clean dropper, apply this into the eyes
- On one application, make sure that you are not applying more than 1-2 drops into your eyes.
15. Fennel Seeds for Dry Eyes
Fennel seeds are yet another component that is known for their soothing properties. Aside from that, it consist an active compound, anethole (R) which is believed to impose beneficial impacts on the overall health of an individual.
It is also loaded with beneficial flavonoids and phenolics (R) which helps get rid of the inflammation and irritation many people complain about.
What to Do?
- Boil 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds in some water for 10-15 minutes
- Strain the liquid and cool it down
- Dip some cotton pad into it and place them over the eyes
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes
- Do this process 3-4 times every day till the problem subsides completely
16. Green Tea Bags for Dry Eyes
Green tea is not just loaded with beneficial flavonoids and amazing antioxidant properties, it is also believed to impose effective remedies in getting rid of the irritation and itching but hydrating the area in and around the eyes.
What to Do?
- Steep some green teabags in hot water for 5 minutes
- Remove the teabag from the liquid and cool it down
- Apply the teabags while they are still lukewarm
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Repeat this process for 2-3 times daily
When to Visit a Doctor for Dry Eyes?
While the condition of dry eyes might not seem like a lot, it actually is a matter than needs to be taken seriously. If your eyes have been itchy and red for an extended period of time, it is quite important to give up on the self medication and rather, opt for visiting the doctors for effectively getting rid of the problem.
There are chances that the problem is stemming off of any kind of lingering problem which is why it is best to consult a doctor without fail and get the root of the cause sorted out.
How to Prevent Dry Eyes?
Keeping dry eyes at bay is not really a problem. With a few tweaks and changes, it is quite easy to get rid of the underlying problems effective without any kind of issue.
- Avoid direct exposure to the dry and windy conditions to keep the possibility of drying out your eyes to a bare minimum
- If your surrounding is dry and too cold, install a humidifier
- Keep some artificial tear drops with you to ensure that you are not faced with a condition of dry eyes
- Enhance the things you eat, specifically focusing on the consumption of Vitamins and Omega-3 fatty acids
- Quit or avoid smoking altogether
In order to cure dry eyes, it is quite important to ensure that one indulges in the natural remedies for dry eyes first. If the same doesn’t impose positive impacts on your condition, that is when you should indulge in visiting a doctor to get the problem checked out for good.