You can definitely blame those extra muffins for the muffin top that is bulging out of your jeans. Also sometimes confused for love handles, it is not necessarily the same. The extra lump of fat that’s peeking out of your jeans is what muffin top is known as.
Workouts are effective and given the fact that it is predominantly visceral fat, it is hard to get rid of it for good. You need to go that extra mile and the exercises for muffin top are quite effective in getting rid of the problem for good.
By the end of this article, you will have a clear idea about some of the best exercises to get rid of muffin top that you predominantly didn’t even know of.
Exercises for Muffin Top
Getting rid of the muffin top is not necessarily an easy process, so be assured of the fact that the process won’t be the easiest for you. Giving the fact that the fat deposition around the abdomen is predominantly visceral fat, it is not surprising that losing that is often hard to achieve.
Indulging in a rigorous workout routine is actually very effective in getting rid of the problem altogether, if that’s something you are worried about.
1. Candlestick Dipper
If you are here wondering about the best exercises to get rid of muffin top, the Candlestick dipper is definitely one of the best in the lot. The main reason why this specific exercise works miraculously for shedding off those excess fats around the abdominal region is because of the fact that it works on the oblique muscles in the body.
How to do?
- Get down on your knees and sit on them, making sure that you have your back straight and your abs tight. If your knees start to pain or you have issues with your knee, make sure to use some form of cushioning for the same.
- Following that, straighten out your right leg to your side ensuring that the knee is completely straight and drooping down towards the floor. Simultaneously raise your right hand over your head and bind your fingers together.
- After that, bend at your waist on the opposite side (left side) and go as low as you can, ensuring to stay parallel to the floor.
- Hold that position for a few seconds and then return back to your initial position
- Do this for 15 times on the same side and then alter the sides.
Precaution: If you have issues with your knees, and have weak knees or underwent surgery, it is best suggested to avoid doing this.
2. Twisting Mountain Climbers
Next on the list of the workouts to get rid of muffin top is the Twisting Mountain Climbers. This is actually very effective in getting rid of the muffin tops and even toning down the excess fat deposition around that area that majority of the people complain about. This also works on the oblique muscles and is also amazing for burning calories which further helps lose and shed off those extra pounds.
How to do?
- Start the exercise off by being in the plank position with your arms full extended out
- Following that, start by bringing your right knee to your left elbow and then return it back to the original position
- Do the same process with the left knee as well and then place the foot back on the floor in the initial position
- Do this in three sets for 20 seconds for the best of results in shedding off those unnecessary flabby fats around the abdominal region
Precaution: Ensure to stretch out your muscles to avoid any kind of last minute injuries and sprains that many people often tend to complain about.
3. Plank Hip Dips
The plank hip dip is yet another one of the exercises that work when it comes to how to get rid of muffin top. Hip dips are actually amazing in toning down the waistline and helpful in getting rid of the flabby waistline and the muffin tops that are peeking out of your jeans. It is very important to ensure that you know the correct way to do it to avoid any kind of negative impacts on the body.
How to do?
- Get down to the plank position, ensuring that you do keep your abs tightened
- Gradually lower into the forearm plank position by bending down your elbows and then coming down to your forearm in the process
- Start with the left side. Roll around to your left side into the forearm side plank and then stack both of your legs on top of the other. Place your hand on your hip.
- Once you have attained your position, start by dipping your hip towards the floor and then lift the same back up
- Do this process for 10 times on one side and then change your side and do the same steps on the other side as well
Precaution: If you have issues with the back or the spine, it is always best to skip out on this one and not put any kind of excess strain on the muscles there to make the situation worse.
4. Superman Core Exercise
One of the things to keep into consideration when trying to get rid of muffin top is to ensure that you focus on exercises which will help in tightening the abdomen as well as the lower back. The Superman Core Exercise is actually an amazing way to not just help boost the toning process but also strengthen the back muscles amazingly.
How to do?
- Place a mat on the floor and lie down on it facing down
- Extend out your hands straight out in front and your legs should be straightened out as well
- Tighten your glutes as well as your core and lift your legs up along with your arms at the same time
- The appearance of this position resembles much like how when the Superman is in flight, hence the name
- Hold this position for 2-3 seconds and get back to the original position
- Do 3 sets of this in 20 seconds for effective results
Precaution: Avoid doing this right after a meal because it puts pressure on the stomach and the same can end up causing problems for your digestion.
5. Rolling Plank
Plank is not necessarily everyone’s favourite exercise which is why opting for rolling plank can often be a preference that not many like. It is amazing for toning down the midsection region. Given the fact that it is a moving exercise, it has been found to have amazing impacts in being a good form of cardio for toning down the muffin tops.
How to do?
- Get down on the standard plank position, ensuring that your arms are straight and your abs is tight and stout. Keep your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Roll down your body into the position for a side plank and then come back to the initial position of the plank again
- Do the same thing on the right side again and then come back to the original position of the plank
- Keep doing it in alternate sides
- Do 10 rolls on each side for 3 sets or as much as you can get done
Precaution: Avoid doing this exercise if you have issues with your hip and the joint in the area. It can further make the condition worse than you can even imagine.
6. Hip Bridge
This is one of those exercises to reduce muffin top that not just impacts the lower back and the abdominal region but also gets rid of the glutes and the hamstrings as well. It is very effective to get rid of the lower back muscles without any kind of issues whatsoeve, if that is something you even consider.
How to do?
- To start it off, lie down on the floor with your feet flat and ensuring that you have your knees bent as well. Keep your arms by the side of your body, ensuring that your palm is facing down.
- Gradually, lift your hips up all the while ensuring to keep your glutes and core squeezed around. It is important to ensure that your body should form a straight line from the shoulders till the knees.
- Hold this position for 3 seconds and then lower down on the count of 3 and then come back to the original position
- Do 15 repetitions of this on either side
Precaution: Avoid doing it if you have a bad back or issues with your knees because the strain can further make the condition worse
7. Butt Lift Exercise
When it comes to how to get rid of muffin top, the butt lift exercise is actually one of the best around that you can opt for. It helps in toning the lower abs, the oblique muscles and even provides a lift to your butt for that extra curve.
How to do?
- Lie down on the floor and keep your body straight, feet flat on the floor and the knees bent
- Gradually, lift your butt up until you form a straight line from the knees till the shoulder
- Hold this position for 2-3 counts and then lower your hips down again on the ground
- Do this process 15-20 times for the best results
Precautions: Avoid doing this exercise if you have any kind of issues with your hip joints and need to keep that away from the issues of pain and strain.
8. Cable Trunk Rotation
Yet another one of the amazing way to fight off the issues altogether is with the cable trunk rotation exercise. This one is considered one of the best exercises for muffin top because of the fact that it helps contribute to toning down the oblique muscle effectively. This specific exercise does need you to go to the gym without which the same isn’t possible to be done.
How to do?
- Attach the handle to the cable machine so as to ensure that it is at the face level
- Stand facing the frame of the machine and keep your feet slightly apart which should be wider than the shoulder width
- Ensure that you keep your knees soft and your core engaged
- Hole the handle with both your hands and then keep your arms straight
- Twist the handle downwards and pull it across the left side of your body near the side of your hip simultaneously bending the left knee inward as well
- Once done, come back up to the centre again but in a controlled way
- Do the same thing on the other side as well all the while ensuring that you keep your back straight and your shoulders pulled back
Precautions: Avoid putting any kind of extra strain on your muscles while pulling the handle and be assured to keep the same in check.
9. Bicycle Crunches
Bicycle crunches are very easy to do if you are here fretting around about the same. These work like magic when it comes to toning down your abs muscles, belly fat and most importantly, your muffin tops. When it comes to the best exercises to get rid of muffin top, this definitely stands out of the lot.
How to do?
- Start by lying down on the floor with your back straight
- Start by lifting your knees bent so as to ensure that your calves are parallel to the floor
- Put your hands behind your head to provide some support
- Once done, bring your left knee towards your right elbow while straightening out the right leg at the same time
- Do the same thing with the right knee and keep alternating them
- Do this consistently for 1-2 minutes straight
Precaution: It is very important to ensure that you are not putting strain on any of the muscles or joints. If you are facing any kind of discomfort, ensure to stop doing it altogether.
10. Russian Twist
Last but not the least on the list of exercises for muffin top is the Russian twist. It not just helps strengthen the abs but also helps in toning the oblique muscles and thus is beneficial to get rid of the muffin top that you have been complaining about.
How to do?
- Start by sitting on the ground with your feet pressed to the ground and your knees bent
- Lean yourself back a little
- Once done, grab a dumbbell or even a kettleball in your hands. If you find them heavy and unsuitable, just simply join your hands together
- Rotate that dumbbell or your joined hands from side to side, ensuring to twist your torso in the process as well.
- Do 10 twists on either side
Precaution: Weights are not mandatory for this, so if you find yourself having issues with the weights, just ensure to avoid that altogether.
With these amazing exercises, we do hope there is an apt answer for how to get rid of muffin top. If you have been struggling with the same, it is always best suggested to keep it in check and maintain a healthy diet for the same.