Constipation is a medical condition which makes you uncomfortable not only physically but mentally also. Although the severity of the symptoms of constipation may change from person-to-person, some of the common symptoms of constipation are infrequent, hard stools and difficulty in releasing stools from the body.
It is important to get the help of natural remedies to treat constipation before it gets complicated further. Using baking soda for constipation provides various benefits.
Apart from various beauty treatments, baking soda is also helpful in treating constipation due to its health-friendly properties. When consumed, baking soda releases carbon dioxide, salt as well as water into the digestive system and helps in cleaning the colon and curing various symptoms.
What is Constipation?
Some of the Major Causes of Constipation Include,
- Colon cancer
- Uncontrolled consumption of dairy products
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lack of water
- Lack of fiber
The less common causes of constipation includes,
- Anal fissures
- Thyroid problems
- Mental health disorders
- Certain medications
Sometimes constipation may also occur due to,
- Sitting for long periods
- Consuming junk food too much
The common symptoms of constipation are struggling to release stools. Some other symptoms includes,
- Releasing hard or lumpy stools
- Pain in lower abdomen
- Rectum blocking
- Feeling of fullness even after passing your stools.
- Need to push your abdomen for producing bowel movements.
- Need to use a finger for removing stool from your rectum.
How useful is baking soda in treating constipation?
- Baking soda helps in releasing excess air from the body and provides relief from stomach ache, bloating along with pain as well as pressure in the digestive tract.
- It helps in boosting the bowel movements and pushes the stored waste to pass it more easily. Also, it provides re-alkalization to the stomach.
- Baking soda also acts a great laxative which helps in softening bulky stools which in turn helps them in releasing freely.
- It also treats blockages and forces them out of the system. This helps in releasing stools without any pressure.
- Baking soda also helps in removing odor as it helps in cleaning the colon and aids digestion.
- It releases fluids into the digestive system which helps in a passing of stools from the intestines more easily.
How to Use Baking Soda for Constipation Treatment?
Warm Water and Baking Soda
- Take a glass of warm water and add ½ teaspoon of baking soda into it.
- Stir it well till the baking soda gets dissolved in the water completely.
- You can also add some salt to the mixture.
- Consume this drink in the mornings.
- Ensure that you are drinking a lot of water while using this remedy.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda in 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Consume this mixture daily.
- You are free to add some salt for more benefits.
- However, consuming large amounts may cause diarrhea.
You can also try another method
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Mix it well in a bowl.
- Drink it regularly
Baking Soda with Lemon Juice
Lemon is filled with citric acid which helps in flushing out all the toxins that accumulate on colon walls and helps in treating digestive problems. An addition of baking soda with lemon juice helps in maintaining the acidity of lemon juice and ensures no acid left in the digestive tract that can cause discomfort.
- In a glass of water, add a teaspoon of baking soda and lemon juice and mix it well.
- You can also add a pinch of salt.
- Regularize the consumption of the drink.
Baking soda bath
- Add enough baking soda in a bathtub.
- Mix it properly and have a warm bath.
- Let yourself soak in it.
- Dry it with a towel.
- Use this process to use baking soda for constipation.
Side Effects of Using Baking Soda for Constipation
- Frequent urination
- Muscle weakness
Experts say that baking soda consumption may also cause ruptured stomach. It also promotes the production of carbon dioxide after mixing with stomach acid. Although this is very rare, the building up of gas in the stomach may cause bursting of it.
As mentioned earlier, baking soda also filled with sodium. Even though it does not provide any harm if consumed in required quantities, uncontrolled consumption of sodium through baking soda may prove harmful to people suffering from high blood pressure, heart disease as well as kidney problems.
Consult with your doctor before consuming baking soda, if you are on certain medications as baking soda may react with the drugs and cause harmful side effects. It is also important to take medical help immediately if you experience abdominal pain after the consumption of baking soda.
Important Tips to Prevent Constipation
- Consume fiber-rich diet, drink a lot of water and exercises regularly to get rid of constipation.
- Avoid ignoring the urge to pass stool or urination as it may cause or worsen the problem of constipation.
- Although mild laxatives are available to treat the problem of constipation, you should avoid using them as it may also make the problem of constipation more complicated.
- Following natural remedies are recommended, even though they do not have enough scientific as well as medicinal backing.
In most of the cases, the condition of constipation may get resolved in a period of 2-3 days by itself. However, if you are suffering from the disease from prolonged infection, it may also be a sign of any underlying disease. Therefore it is important to take the expert help as soon as you can to prevent further problems.