Got a sudden beach trip planned and your periods are possibly going to clash the dates? Happens to the most of us, doesn’t it? Wondering how to stop periods with birth control pills?
Skipping periods with birth control is not necessarily very uncommon. While the same doesn’t necessarily have a plethora of side effects, it might not be the ideal solution if you already have issues with your menstrual cycle.
By the end of this article, you are going to have a defined knowledge about everything there is to know about the ways to use birth control to skip your period.
Is Skipping Your Period With Birth Control Safe?
Whatever the discussion be, the very first prospect that one definitely needs to get checked in this prospect is to know whether or not the process is safe and actually good enough for your health.
There is not much when it comes to discussing about the safety of the individual in skipping periods with birth control. There is not necessarily any stark safety hazard concerning the same if you are on good terms of communication with your doctor.
It is pivotal to consult your doctor with the issue because there are chances that the same could end up being a problem if you don’t know about any underlying health issues.
Experts even suggest that menstruation isn’t physiologically necessary for a woman body.
So, when it comes to discussing about taking birth control to stop period and whether it’s safe or not, the answer is yes, it is safe.
There are no noticeable medical repercussions concerning the condition, making it an ideal option for women to opt for if they wish to skip their periods. Additionally, if you are on the hormonal birth control pills, there are 100% chances for the normal cycle to again start from the next month, if there are no underlying health issues in your body.
How Do Birth Control Pills Work For Skipping Periods?
It is not at all surprising that the question that pops up in your head on how these birth control pills actually work for skipping or stopping the periods.
Even research and statistics show that women tend to prefer extended menstrual cycles instead of the “normal” ones, mainly because of the kind of impacts it brings on during the day.
When it comes to discussing the mode of action of these birth control pills, the process can be explained in a few different ways.
The intake of the birth control pills tends to be nothing but the ingesting of the synthetic hormones altogether. Depending on the type of birth control pill, it could either contain estrogen and progestin or just progestin.
They have three modes of action which include:
- Firstly, they tend to prevent the ovaries from ovulating altogether or release the egg every single month. When there is no egg released, there is nothing to either get fertilized or wash away as “periods”.
- Secondly, they also end up thickening the cervical mucus which prevents the sperm from penetrating into the ovum and causing any kind of fertilization.
- Also, it can end up thinning the uterine lining as well which has been found to make it difficult for the egg to attach even if it’s fertilized.
For you to be able to successfully be able to stop your period with birth control, it is necessary that the process is affected in the very first step itself.
Birth control pills are very sensitive which is why it is important to ensure that you are careful with the mode of consumption. For the best impacts, it is best suggested to consume it at the same time every day and without any fail. Birth control has a 99% success rate if taken correctly.
How to Skip Your Period With Birth Control?
Now with the basics aside, it is time we focus on the steps involved for the process of skipping period while on birth control.
If you are here thinking that the process is something out of ordinary, it definitely isn’t. When it comes to answering how to stop periods with birth control, the process is simple and not that extensive. All you need to do is be careful and attentive of when and how you are taking it.
- For the very first step, you need to ascertain which month you want to skip the period. This is beneficial because you need to start taking the birth control pill the month prior to that.
- Buy a good quality birth control pill pack from the pharmacist and take all the pills as per the instruction, the month prior to the one that you want to skip your period on.
- Once you are done with the active pills in the first pack, skip out on the placebo or inactive pills and instead of them, start with the Day 1 active pill of the next pack once done with the first pack. Finish the active pills in the new pack as well.
- When you finally reach to the placebo pills of the new pack, you are most likely to have your periods back to normal by then again. Often times, women have suggested experiencing spotting and breakthrough bleeding during the days that they were supposed to get their period originally.
Is it Safe for All Women?
You will be surprised to know that opting for using birth control to skip your period might not be the best option for every woman out there. While we did mention that opting for skipping out on periods isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it might not be ideal for every single woman.
There could be a number of factors and hormonal imbalance that you possibly don’t even realize your body is going through. Whatever the circumstances be, it is very important to ensure that you opt for ways that would actually help you in the process and not the opposite.
It is thus very important to consult a doctor for the same to get a green tick and then proceed with the same.
What are the Pros and Cons of Skipping Period with Birth Control?
There are always two sides to a coin. The same is the case with skipping the periods. You might not realize this but it is important to keep a track of both the advantages as well as the disadvantages when it comes to discussing about the usage of the birth control pills to skip your period. Let us walk ourselves one after the other, shall we?
Advantages of Skipping Period with Birth Control
Let us start it off with the advantages, shall we?
- It is amazing for patients who do struggle on a daily basis with the usage of sanitary napkins and other utilities.
- It helps keep the conditions associated with menstruation in check like that of endometriosis as well as anemia which can be caused because of heavy bleeding.
- It can help you avoid the symptoms of breast tenderness, mood swings and even bloating which often occurs a week or so before the period starts.
- It keeps the symptoms of headache and such in check when you are taking the inactive birth control pills.
- It also extends the overall time frame associated with the menstrual cycle which has been found beneficial for women who suffer from heavy, prolonged as well as frequent periods.
Disadvantages of Skipping Periods with Birth Control
Now that we are done discussing the advantages of the process, it is time we delve into the side effects of skipping your period with birth control.
- Breakthrough bleeding is possibly one of the most common side effects. If you are not aware of what that is, it is the condition which causes unpredictable midcycle bleeding. This can cause issues and inconvenience as well. The only good thing about this is the fact that the condition does get better over time and the intensity does decrease.
- Another possible problem that you might face with this is the fact that it becomes hard for you to detect whether or not you are pregnant. Given the hormonal disbalance caused, there could be a problem for you to understand the condition. If you are experiencing the preliminary symptoms of pregnancy, it is always best suggested to consult a doctor or take a home pregnancy test to get the suspicions confirmed.
Tips to Keep into Consideration
When it comes down to how to stop periods with birth control, the process might seem extensive but it is all about the details involved. In order to help you with the process further, we have devised some useful tips that can come in handy for you while you are skipping periods with birth control.
- The very first factor to keep in mind is to keep the stack of birth control pill in check. The effectiveness of these pills depends on how you are consuming it. It is important to not just take them on time but to also ensure that they are not skipped out on. If you are thinking of skipping for a month, you will need two packs of the pills, one for the prior month and one for the month itself.
- Store the pills in a safe and clean place to ensure that the pills are not exposed to direct sunlight and such which does have the potency of making them inactive and unviable for the reason they have been bought for.
- It is safe to skip periods and there is not necessarily anything wrong with the process if that is something you are worried about. The only thing that you need to keep in check is to ensure that you consult your doctor for the same before starting the same. If you have any kind of underlying health condition that could tamper the effects, it is best to not opt for it.
- Be on time with the consumption of the pills. It is very important to be cautious of when you are taking them to avoid any kind of issues altogether. Make sure that you are following the steps correctly as mentioned and taking just the active pills and not the placebo ones.
Many women have concerns when it comes down to discussing how to stop periods with birth control. It is necessary to know that it is completely safe and doesn’t necessarily have any kind of negative impacts on one’s overall reproductive life, if that is something anyone is concerned about. In here, we have tried to guide you through every possible query that could be infiltrating your mind.