Just wanted to bite into a stick of Popsicle? Did you fail to do so because of the sharp shooting pain in your teeth? In order to soothe sensitive teeth, it is beneficial that one understands the severity of it.
Sensitive teeth can definitely be a hindrance in the course of your quality of life. That being said, it is mandatory that you take certain measures for the sensitive teeth pain relief because it is just as important.
In this article, we are going to be sharing some of the effective home remedies for teeth sensitivity that you possibly didn’t even know about.
What Causes Sensitive Teeth?
Sensitive teeth is mainly characterized by the sharp soothing pains that one feels in their teeth and jaws when they consume any kind of triggering foods – it can be something very sweet, cold or even tangy.
When it comes to deciphering the common grounds of reasons behind the sensitive teeth, there are not just one but multiple reasons behind the same.
In common terms, some people tend to always have more sensitive teeth than others, primarily because of the thinner enamel. The run down condition of the enamel is what is considered as one of the primary reasons behind the pain and uncomfortable approach one experiences when eating some kind of food.
Some of the common reasons that can cause a rundown and thinning down of the enamel include:
- Vigorously brushing of the teeth
- Using a toothbrush which has hard bristles
- Grinding your teeth during the night time
- Regular consumption or drinking of acidic foods or even the beverages
Apart from the common problem rooting from the enamel, some other types of causes that can contribute to teeth sensitivity can include the condition of Gastroesophageal reflux in which the acid from the stomach traverses up to the oesophagus and sometimes even the oral cavity thinning down the excess presence of acid.
Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth
Now, you can definitely opt for the wide range of medications for the treatment of tooth sensitivity but it is always best to start from the base ground of home remedies and natural methods.
Check Out These Effective Remedies For Sensitive Teeth.
In this section of the article, we are going to be discussing about some of the common yet effective home remedies for teeth sensitivity that can actually help get rid of it for good.
1. Baking Soda for Sensitive Teeth
One of the primary causes behind sensitive teeth is because of the erosion of the tooth enamel and that is caused because of the disbalance in the pH of the oral cavity. The application of baking soda is an amazing remedy for the pain relief for sensitive teeth because not only does it help in balancing the pH (R) it is also beneficial in getting rid of any microbial (R) growth.
What to do?
- Mix 100 grams of baking soda with some water to make a smooth pliable paste
- The paste should be of the toothpaste consistency
- Using a toothbrush, apply this on the teeth and brush normally
- Leave it on for a few minutes
- Rinse your mouth with some cold water
- Every other day
2. Salt Water Gargle for Sensitive Teeth
The remedy with salt water gargle to cure sensitive teeth is much more of a temporary solution that helps in restoring the cause behind the sensitivity. The primary reason why it is effective is because of the antiseptic properties as well as the antimicrobial properties. The hydration also helps in proper secretion of saliva with help get rid of sensitive teeth.
What to do?
- Mix ½ tablespoon of salt to half a glass of warm water
- Stir till the salt dissolves completely
- Rinse your mouth with this mixture till you are done with the entirety of the water
- Once-daily in the morning
3. Coconut Oil Pulling for Sensitive Teeth
Oil Pulling is definitely an amazing remedy for getting rid of sensitive teeth for good. The combination of the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory as well as moisturizing properties combined help to stop tooth sensitivity immediately.
Coconut oil is considered as one of the best options when it comes to oil pulling because of the fact that it helps in treating the overall presence of possible growth of infections (R) all the while ensuring to get rid of the gum associated problems as well as help in strengthening the gums.
What to do?
- Take 1-2 tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth and rinse your mouth for 10-20 minutes
- Keep swishing the oil for that amount of time and then spit it out
- Rinse your mouth with some saltwater to get rid of the stench completely
- Once in the morning
4. Clove Oil for Sensitive Teeth
Clove Oil in the field of dentistry has profound impacts. It is known for its amazing analgesic (R) properties which help in getting rid of the pain that accompanies the condition of sensitivity. The active component in the clove oil, Eugenol (R), is very beneficial for the pain relief for sensitive teeth.
Not just that, the clove oil also consists of antiseptic properties which helps in getting rid of any kind of possible growth of bacteria and infections that could be a contributing factor to the sensitivity.
What to do?
- To half a glass of water, add 10-15 drops of clove oil
- Use this liquid to rinse your mouth and to get rid of any kind of stench
- Make sure that you rinse your mouth with the normal water in the end once
- Once daily
5. Chewing Gum for Sensitive Teeth
Sugar-free chewing gum has a number of positive impacts on your dental and overall dental health. It has been reported in a number of studies (R) that chewing gum helps to trigger the secretion of the saliva in the oral cavity which helps in keeping the presence of bacterial infection and even dental caries at bay.
When you have a hygienic and very well maintained oral health, it helps to ensure that the same won’t negatively impact the tooth enamel and thus helps in providing with sensitive teeth pain relief.
What to do?
- Chew the non-sugar chewing gums
6. Hydrogen Peroxide for Sensitive Teeth
Many people have the notion that hydrogen peroxide, which is used for the teeth whitening and bleaching process will end up actually affecting the teeth enamel negatively.
That is not the case.
Hydrogen peroxide doesn’t necessarily erode the teeth enamel which is why it is beneficial as an effective sensitive teeth home remedy. All you need to be assured of is to dilute the same and not go bonkers by using the concentrated version of it.
What to do?
- Mix 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a glass of water
- Rinse your mouth with this liquid
- Do so till you run out of the liquid
- Make sure to not swallow the liquid and actually just rinse your mouth with it
- 1-2 times weekly
7. Turmeric for Sensitive Teeth
While the application of turmeric might not be that effective to stop tooth sensitivity immediately, it is quite beneficial in fighting the associated signs and symptoms. Turmeric is very beneficial for sensitive teeth pain relief primarily because of the combination of analgesic (R), anti-inflammatory (R) as well as antibacterial (R) properties.
It helps in getting rid of any form of infection that could be a contributing factor and also helps in strengthening the gums and the teeth on the whole.
What to do?
- Make a paste with 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of salt and water
- Mix everything to make a smooth paste
- Apply this paste on the area of the sensitive teeth and leave it on for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse your mouth with some regular water
8. Green tea for Sensitive Teeth
Green tea is considered one of the best beverages for oral health, if not the best. The catechins present in the tea are not just beneficial in getting rid of the bacterial growth but also imposes effective anti-inflammatory properties which are actually beneficial in fighting off any kind of pain or inflammation that accompanies the condition of the sensitivity of the teeth.
What to do?
- Drink at least 2-3 cups of green tea daily
9. Guava Leaves for Sensitive Teeth
Guava Leaves as a remedy for sensitive teeth might sound a bit farfetched and out of the box but trust me, it is one of the bests ways to stop tooth sensitivity immediately.
Even though the common reason behind the same is not known that well, it is believed that the guava leaves do possess mild analgesic and anti-inflammatory (R) properties which are what helps in subsiding the pain that one feels because of the sensitivity.
What to do?
- Boil some water in a pan
- Add a handful of guava leaves and bring everything to a boil
- Simmer and let the leaves steep
- Once it has steeped for 20 minutes, strain the liquid and rinse your mouth with it
- Alternatively, you can also chew on some tender guava leaves for similar benefits
- 2-3 times a week
10. Onion for Sensitive Teeth
The use of onion to cure sensitive teeth is something that happens gradually. That being said, the presence of the active compounds Thiosulfinates and Thiosufonates are what helps in contributing to alleviating the condition associated with sensitive teeth. They impose antiseptic properties (R) which destroy the proliferation of any kind of harmful bacteria and also help in removing plaque from the teeth.
What to do?
- Extract the juice of one onion
- Place the same in the refrigerator and leave it to cool for about 5 minustes
- Using a toothbrush, brush your teeth using the onion juice
- Rinse your mouth with some water and then brush your teeth normally as you would
- 2-3 times weekly
11. Mouth Wash for Sensitive Teeth
Mouth Wash is possibly one of the most effective, easy and beneficial ways to get rid of sensitive teeth. It has a multifaceted approach into aiding with the process, mainly because of the fact that it helps in getting rid of the bacterial infestation and even gets rid of the accumulation of plaque and tartar that often causes the erosion of the tooth enamel.
What to do?
- Rinse your mouth with some mouthwash
- Daily twice
Symptoms of Sensitive teeth
It has been witnessed a number of times that people often times end up confusing the normal toothache with sensitivity. This is the main reason why you need to understand the fine line of difference between the two.
Some of the common sensitive teeth symptoms include:
- Chilling sensation in the teeth when eating a trigger food
- Difficulty chewing sometimes
These are some of the common symptoms but there are a few kinds of triggers that can actually contribute to these symptoms which include:
- Hot food and beverages
- Extremely cold or chilled food
- Cold air
- Acid foods
- Anything extremely sweet
- Brushing or flossing the teeth aggressively
- Mouthwashes which contain alcohol in them
How to Prevent Sensitive Tooth Pain?
Now, this section is going to help you seek ways that can actually be beneficial in preventing the induction of sensitive teeth in the individual. More than any unknown factors, it is our day to day contributions that oftentimes end up affecting our tooth enamel, which in turn causes the sensitivity.
In this section, we are going to be talking about a few of the common types of preventive measures to get rid of sensitive teeth.
Some of them include:
- Brush your teeth with a soft-bristled brush to ensure that you are not going to impact and erode your tooth enamel. Avoid using hard bristle toothbrushes
- Opt for sensitive pro toothpaste that are found in the market rather than normal and regular toothpaste. This will help in removing the signs of plaque and get rid of any possible cause for sensitivity.
- Make a habit of brushing and flossing your teeth at least two times a daily for effective results
- Pay attention to all the parts of the oral cavity while you are brushing – from the teeth, tongue, gums and even the upper wall of the mouth
- Avoid drinking or eating any kind of food and beverages that are loaded with acidic properties till your sensitivity has been cured and stopped completely
Foods to Avoid with Sensitive Teeth
When it comes to sensitive teeth, there are a few dos and don’ts that one needs to keep track of. There are a few types of foods that are a no go when you are suffering from this condition. These trigger foods often tend to negatively impact the teeth sensitivity and end up aggravating the situation.
Some of the very common foods that one need to avoid when suffering from teeth sensitivity include:
- Ice cream or Popsicles
- Extremely sweet desserts
- Soda or carbonated drinks with sugar
- Hot coffee
- Sticky candy
- Ice chips or even cold water for that matter
- Citrus fruits like lemons, oranges etc
When To See A Dentist For Sensitive Teeth?
This is definitely a matter of concern as to when it the correct time to visit a dentist to get proper treatment for sensitive teeth. There could be a lot of instances for the same but if the condition of the teeth sensitivity is still prevailing even after the administration of all the home remedies for the condition, it is best to consult a dentist and get the problem checked.
There could be instances when the condition of sensitivity oftentimes arises because of neural issues and if that’s the primary cause for you, it is better to not leave it as it is and consult a doctor for the same.
If you are looking for ways to soothe sensitive teeth, the best way to do so is by ensuring that you either adhere to some of the basic home remedies or consult a dentist for the same. Whatever the reasons be, it is necessary to treat it as soon as possible and not just leave it to fend for itself.