Ever wondered why consumption of certain foods makes you have sudden bowel movements or maybe you would have never related to it until today. Talking about poop may be sounding gross at the moment, but hey is it common and we need to have knowledge as to why it happens, or at least if your assumption is true
Blueberries help in speeding the digestion process and they are high in antioxidants. Why exactly blueberries make you have a sudden bowel movement or poop has science behind it. To get more information related to this we are here to help you, as today’s topic will talk about science and facts related to why blueberries can make you poop, so to know further continue reading further.
What are Blueberries?
Blueberries are high in antioxidants and are also considered superfoods because they provide nutrients including, vitamin C, vitamin K, and dietary fibre. You might be wondering what are dietary fibres, so let us talk in detail about it
- Dietary fibers – fibres is mainly carbohydrates, these are plant derived foods that cannot be completely absorbed or broken down by human digestion or absorbed through the small intestine. The prime role of it is to keep your digestive system healthy and they are classified into two – soluble and insoluble fibres
- Soluble dietary fibres – these types of fiber are absorbed by water to form gel-like substances. They help to reduce cholesterol and glucose in your body. They pass through small intestine and large intestine where they are easily fermented further.
- Insoluble dietary fibre – these are opp of soluble, they do not absorb or dissolve into water, thus making it insoluble. They are indigestible carbohydrates. These include cellulose in your body and they do not form gel due to water insolubility, which limits their fermentation. They help to pass solids out easily. Your body needs both soluble and insoluble dietary fibres to carry out digestion of your body easily as they are necessary to maintain normal functioning of digestive systems.
Why Does Blueberry Make You Poop?
Blueberries are dietary fibres, they contain soluble dietary fibers. As mentioned these dietary soluble fibres are dissolved in water and they speed up the digestion process that is why after eating blueberries you may feel a sudden need to poop. Which is good for people who feel constipated; they can consume blueberries for better digestion.
The deficiency of dietary fibres in your body can make you feel constipated. Constipation is irregular bowel movements. So to keep your digestive system healthy one must intake necessary dietary fibers.
Can Blueberries Help in Weight Management?
Blueberries have antioxidants and nutritional value, experts say blueberries regulate fat burning and help to reduce the cholesterol levels in the body. They digest easily and speed the digestion and that is why some of the nutritional experts recommended using blueberries in their diet. When combined with low-fat foods blueberries improve blood sugar as well.
They improve and help in managing your weight as they are also low in calories. The best part is they are very tasty too, you would not disagree if you like having blueberry ice cream (although that would not be very healthy but once a while is okay)
Blueberries have antioxidants called anthocyanins which promote blue, red, and purple color. Blueberries are often used in breakfast meals in combination with yoghurt, cereals and other desserts as they do not make you feel hungry after the consumption and also help in fast absorption.
Do Blueberries Make You Bloat or Fart
Blueberries are a high fibre diet which contain starch, fructose and lactose. These fructose in blueberries may cause discomfort to the digestive system and make you bloat. Your intestine can be irritated by consuming too much fibre which results in gas. If you have intolerance to blueberries it will cause you to bloat and gas as the digestive system may not be able to break down these proteins and fibres easily. If you consume too many blueberries you can have irritable bowel movements and it may also increase the bacteria in the intestine.
Do Blueberries Cause Green Stool?
Blueberries contain rich antioxidants and one such is anthocyanins. Anthocyanin is a natural pigment which is responsible for the hues of blue and purple. When the intake is increased and your digestive system is not able to cause proper digestion the color of your poop may change like greenish, blue or black. anthocyanins present in blueberries are said to help lower many health risks of diabetes and high cholesterol. These antioxidants also protect against heart diseases and cancer. So it is safe to consume berries in the right amount and no one need not have to worry about the stools.
Benefits of Eating Blueberries
1. High in Nutrients
Blueberries are one of the most nutrient rich berries, they are low in calories and contain 85% of water. They are an excellent source of vitamins like vitamin C which is responsible for producing collagen to the skin that helps in the protection of heat and pollution and Vitamin K, which helps in maintaining metabolism.
2. Helps maintain cholesterol
Blueberries help to reduce cholesterol levels and fat burning. They protect bad cholesterol from the body due to the high number of antioxidant properties in them. They reduce the level of LDL lipoproteins which is the bad cholesterol and these help the risk of many heart diseases and also help people who are obese.
3. Rich antioxidants
Of all fruits and vegetables blueberries are considered to have a high number of rich antioxidants, these antioxidants protect your body cells from free radicals, which cause cellular destruction and contribute to cancer and aging.
Blueberries have the most substantial antioxidant capacity. Flavonoids are the main oxidant compounds which are responsible for health benefits in these berries. Blueberries also help to increase antioxidants levels in the body. These antioxidants are good for the body and benefit us for healthy digestion.
4. Protect against cancer and aging
As blueberries are high in antioxidants and they protect from free radicals and bad cholesterol in the body they neutralize it and protect from damage of DNA. Due to the reduction of these radicals, they prevent the risk of cancer and aging. Studies show that consumption of blueberries have prevented DNA damage due to free radicals by 20%
5. Improve Brain Functions
Blueberries improve brain functions as they benefit aging neurons thus giving better cell signaling. They also help to delay mental aging and that is how they help with brain improvement.
Some of the side effects of blueberries
- For people who are intolerable for salicylates consumption of blueberries may cause rash, headache, bloating, diarrhea, and constipation, as blueberries contain high amounts of salicylates which are found in many plants.
- Blueberries stain your teeth because of higher pigmentation whether you eat them with food, fresh, frozen, juice, or with yoghurt you may see deep blue stains on your teeth which may not look appealing. To reduce it you can drink water and milk soon after eating blueberries.
- If you are someone who already has a diet high in fiber, consuming too many blueberries may not serve you a good purpose as they may cause you to have a stomach ache, discomfort, and unusual green stool
Some of the other foods that cause you to poop
Apart from blueberries, there are other foods that cause you to poop and some of them are Almonds, Strawberries, Broccoli, Oatmeal, flaxseed, and other berries
As you might now understand that Blueberries help in speeding the digestion process and they are high in antioxidants and dietary fibres that is why exactly blueberries make you have a sudden bowel movement, there are misconceptions related to this topic, but blueberries have many benefits and hope they are clear to you after reading the article and has answered your questions. Thank you for reading
Other Related Articles: