Dry mouth or the condition of xerostomia is the condition in which the salivary glands in the mouth fails to produce enough saliva and triggers the dry or parched feeling in your mouth. It may also trigger other symptoms such as mouth sores, cracked lips as well as dry tongue.
Even though the problem of dry mouth is not at all the worrying symptom, sometimes, it may be the sign of any underlying condition, which may require a thorough treatment. Sometimes it may also trigger due to the problem of tooth decay.
What are the causes and symptoms of dry mouth?
The major causes as well as symptoms from dry mouth are discussed here in detail.
There are numerous condition, which can cause the problem of dry mouth. Mostly the problem triggers due to the problem of dehydration. Sometimes, severe conditions such as diabetes may also affect the saliva production and causes the problem of dry mouth. Consumption of certain medications such as chemotherapy drugs as well as appetite suppressants also triggers the development of dry mouth condition.
Some of the common causes of the problem of dry mouth are listed below.
- Smoking tobacco
- Use of marijuana
- Consumption of tranquilizers
- Radiation therapy especially on head or neck
- Botulism poisoning
- Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and sjogren’s syndrome
The most common symptom of dry mouth is the feeling of dryness in the mouth. However, there are various other symptoms of this condition as well. Some of them are listed below.
- Dry or sticky feeling in the mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing, tasting, chewing and even speaking
- Development of cracks on lips
- Burning sensation in the mouth
- Rough and dry tongue
- Development of infection in the mouth
- Appearance of mouth sores
- Feeling of dryness in mouth
Home remedies for dry mouth
The condition of dry mouth can be treated with the help of some of the effective home remedies. Here we have provided some of the amazing home remedies, which you use to treat the problem of dry mouth.
Fennel seeds contains flavonoids, which are helpful in stimulating the saliva production and helps in getting rid of dry mouth. The aromatic flavor of fennel seeds can also be helpful in eliminating bad breath which often associated with the problem of dry mouth.
- Consume fennel seeds several times every day to treat the condition of dry mouth.
- Alternatively, mix fennel seeds with fenugreek seeds and then roast them in a pan.
- While grinding add small amount of salt to it.
- Consume ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds after having each meal.
Aloe vera is one of the ancient remedy to treat the problem of dry mouth. Apart from helping in protecting the sensitive tissues in your mouth, it also helps in enhancing the taste buds.
- Take out the fresh aloe vera juice and drink ¼ cup everyday to get rid of dry mouth.
- Rinsing your mouth with the help of aloe vera juice is also recommended.
- Applying aloe vera gel around your mouth with the help of cotton swab can be helpful. You need to clean it up after several minutes with the help of cold water.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times everyday.
Cayenne pepper also helps in stimulating the saliva production and helps in bolstering the taste buds so they you can recognize the sour, salty, sweet and bitter tastes properly.
- Apply some cayenne pepper around your tongue with the help of wet finger. Even though this may result into causing burning sensation for small period of time, it helps in triggering the saliva production.
- You may also mix the cayenne powder in your salads, soups as well as various other dishes.
- Cayenne powder capsules are also recommended but only after consulting with your doctor.
You can also use grapeseed oil, which is highly helpful in eliminating all the symptoms of dry mouth. Grapeseed oil is also rich in vitamin E oil, which may be useful in treating the sore development in your mouth, linked to dry mouth.
- Rub some grapeseed oil inside your cheeks, with the help of your finger.
- Leave it on for a night
- With the help of warm water rinse your mouth properly and then brush your teeth normally.
- Repeat the process before going to bed every night.
How to cure dry mouth during pregnancy?
The condition of dry mouth may also appear in pregnancy causing nausea along with various other pregnancy side effects. Dry mouth not only causes oral problems but it also threatens the oral health as the development of debris takes place due to the absence of saliva to wash the debris away from the mouth.
The most important thing you can do to treat this problem is increase your overall fluid intake. Drinking enough water can be helpful in treating the problem of dry mouth in pregnancy.
Tips for controlling dry mouth
The condition of dry mouth is a temporary one and can be treated with the help of proper treatment. However, you can follow various tips to treat the condition of dry mouth. Some of them are listed below.
- Drinking plenty of water
- Sucking ice cubes
- Avoiding the consumption of caffeine, alcohol and tobacco
- Limiting the sugar and salt intake
- Consumption of over-the-counter substitutes of saliva
- Sucking candy, which is sugarless or chewing sugarless gum
- Consuming over-the-counter toothpastes, mints as well as rinses.
When the condition of dry mouth is caused due to any underlying condition, it becomes important to take the help from your doctor as soon as possible as it may require the additional treatment. Your doctor will provide the medications after the full assessment of your condition.
NOTE:We inform you that we are not owner of any of the products, images or any other products displaying on our website. But all the articles are written by us and we owned them. If you found any image or product that found under your copyrights then please feel free to CONTACT US. We will remove that image or product as soon as possible. All the images are collected from Google.