Neck pain, soreness in muscles are the problems which may cause various major diseases at one stage of your life. According to various experts, neck pain can be a symptom of some of the deadly diseases and spinal injury. While various supplements as well as treatments available to cure neck pain, this can certainly cause various side effects. To avoid this, natural ways are highly recommended. When it comes to natural way with various health benefits, Yoga, an ancient remedy has no other better alternative. The yoga asanas for neck pain also helps in also helps in improving range of vision. It also helps in curing headaches as well as stress and tensions. Performing these asanas and learning to control the breathing will help you in getting relief from your neck as well as muscle pain.
Benefits of Yoga Poses for Neck Pain
Yoga asanas provides various benefits to your health. Apart from removing tensions from your neck, it helps in improving flexibility as well as the strength of your neck.
1. Strengthens functional ability of neck muscles
According to the experts, performing yoga asanas regularly helps in improving the functional ability of muscles associated with your neck. Due to this, other physiological measures of pain in your neck such as intensity as well as range of your motion gets improved.
2. Improves strength, flexibility of neck and restores posture
Yoga asanas also helps in restoring your posture back apart from removing neck pain. This also strengthens your neck as well as its flexibility. This keeps away soreness and tension in your neck muscles and provides relief on your neck pain.
3. Removes tensions, anxiety and stress
Constant neck pain as well as soreness and tension in muscles causes stress. Apart from curing tension and anxiety performing yoga regularly also helps in alleviating stress, according to the experts. It has always been recommended that you perform meditation regularly to get rid of stress which helps in relaxing the muscles as well.
4. Provides neck pain relief
According to a study, yoga directly affects chronic pain in your neck, head as well as shoulders. It reduces tensions in the muscles and helps in providing relaxation to the muscles. Performing yoga regularly helps in rejuvenating the whole body as well.
Best Yoga Asanas To Remove Neck Pain
There are various yoga poses, which you can try to strengthen your neck muscles and to keep yourself away from various types of chronic as well as general neck pain. Performing them for at least 30 minutes a day in a proper way is recommended by the experts. The best yoga poses for neck pain are,
This pose is considered as one of the best yoga poses to cure neck pain. This asana helps in restoring your posture. As you stretch your muscles in this asana it helps in providing relaxation to your body.
• Stand on your feet with keeping hip-width distance between both the legs.
• Release the tension of your tailbone taking your stomach in.
• Move your head in parallel direction of the ceiling of the room by stretching it upward.
• Control your breath by keeping the head in parallel direction of the ceiling.
• Hold the pose for a minute.
2. Seated Mountain Pose
Just like the Tadasana, it benefits your posture. Unlike Tadasana, which is done in the standing position, seated mountain pose is done in sitting position.
• Sit on a chair with a hip-width distance in your legs and keeping your palms on your thighs.
• Look straight and raise your head by providing stretching to it.
• Stretch enough so that your spine as well as rib cage expands.
• Stay in the position for 20-60 seconds.
Bhujangasana helps in strengthening the spine as well as back muscles. It also helps you in providing ease neck pain and makes the muscle stronger. This asana helps in removing spondylosis and reduces the severity of it.
• Lie down on your belly on the floor with your palms facing down and feet together. Keep your forehead on the floor as well.
• Try lifting your head by inhaling deeply.
• Now lift your chest as well. Although you are supported by your hands, try to stretch your muscles of the back. Hold the position for small period and hold your breath as well.
• Slowly return to your normal position.
• Again try to lift your head, but this time from your mid section and provide stretch to your back muscles.
• By exhaling return back to your normal position.
This pose is also known as cat pose. Bidalasana helps in providing massage to your spine and strengthens your back as well as neck. This asana also helps in providing better pain control.
• Lie down your knees and place your palms on the floor under your shoulders.
• Extend your spine and keep your back perfectly flat.
• Raise your back upwards with stretching your hips and your head facing down between your hands. Ensure that your hands are also straight.
• Also, remember to keep your gaze in between your knees.
• Return to normal position after holding the pose for few minutes.
5. Angel Wings
This pose helps in improving blood circulation in your neck muscles. It also provides relaxation to muscles in shoulder as well as your neck area.
• Bend your arms from the elbow.
• Keep your fingertips on your shoulder bone.
• Squeeze your shoulder bone by opening out of your elbows.
• Bring your shoulders in front so that the shoulder blades opens wide apart so that it gets better stretch.
Naukasa is more commonly known as boat pose. Boat pose is useful in strengthening the front of your neck as well as your back. It also provides ease if you are suffering with cervical spondylosis.
• Sit on your hips on the floor with extending your legs forward. Keep your palms behind your hips and palms on the floor.
• Balance yourself on the tailbone with legs front of your torso with 45 degrees angle with the floor.
• Stretch your back backwards and hands forward.
• Hold the position for few minutes and provide enough stretch to your whole body.
• Return to the normal position by exhaling.
By Prajakt K.