Migraine is a disease, not a headache that can make you dumb. Due to the lots of work pressure on men and women, the migraine problems are increasing among them. 6 of 10 people suffer from headaches on an ordinary basis. Headaches are of different types. It depends on the weather, work pressure, place change, etc. That is naturally occurring in the body. But the type of headache that is much worse than any other headache and is enough to bring even the strongest of us to our knees is commonly known as a migraine headache. 1 out of 10 people, suffers from migraine. If the problem persists, then it can actually become never-ending. Migraines sometimes become debilitating headaches. Check out the Migraine headache causes, symptoms and self care treatment for this problem.
1Causes of Migraine
Migraine is a complex disorder involving the brain and the blood vessels around the brain and head. In migraine, the brain may become restless in response to certain environmental triggers, such as light or smells, or sometimes for the reasons that are not known. This starts due to the chemical changes that irritate the pain sensing nerves around the head and cause blood vessels to swell and leak chemicals which further irritate the nerves.
You can have this disease by consuming caffeinated things more than ordinary use. These are like
- Alcohol, especially red wine and beer
- Aged cheeses
- Fermented, pickled, or marinated foods
Sometimes you are more likely to get this disease because of:
- Changing sleeping patterns
- Changing barometric pressure
- Depression and anxiety
- Head or neck trauma
People suffer from sleeping disorders, due to migraine and that is further a severe problem that makes the person restless.
First Stage: This stage is called as Prodrome. In this stage person may have symptoms like:
- Sweet food cravings
- Fatigue or low energy
- Frequent yawning
- Bad temper
- Neck stiffness
Second Stage: After Prodrome, there is an aura stage of migraine. This is in between the stage of migraine. In this stage person may have symptoms like:
- Difficulty in speaking clearly
- Feeling a tingling sensation in the arms and legs
- Flashes of light
- See shapes, light flashes or bright spots
- Transitory vision loss
Third Stage: The third stage is not a tolerable stage. This stage is known as attack stage. At this stage actual migraine occurs, in which a person has to go through severe pain. This pain may for last 2-3 hours a day. Symptoms for attack stage of migraines are:
- Feeling faint
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound
- Pulsing on one side of the head
- Pulsing and/or throbbing pain
3Self care treatment of migraine
- Try to maintain a regular schedule for eating and sleeping.This will help you to reduce some facts of migraine.
- Avoid certain foods that might trigger a migraine like chocolates, alcohol, cafeniated stuff, etc.
- Try to keep well hydrated, since dehydration has been found as a migraine trigger for some people
- Exercise regularly, that should include meditation, Progressive muscle relaxation, Guided imagery and Yoga.
4Medication treatment for migraines
Medication depends on the stage of disease. Initial stages are normally recommended for self care treatment. But if it occurs for longer duration, then there are medication treatment. This may help the person to get rid of pain. It is totally based on when it starts and when it ends. Not all the persons can take these medicines.
Triptans (Sumatriptan, Rizatriptan, Eletriptan, Zolmitriptan, Naratriptan, Almotriptan, and Frovatriptan), may be efficient in treating migraines and also may be prescribed to help the person to treat their migraine at home.
By: Shaveta Kandhari