There are various skin-related issues, which might prove as a big headache to you can causes pain, inflammation as well as discomfort. It is, therefore, highly important to treat these skin issues as early as possible to prevent any future complications. One such issue is skin chafing. Even though there are various treatments on how to prevent chafing, following the home remedies and applying smooth treatments is highly helpful in getting rid of chafing.
Most commonly chafing will appear on body parts, which rubs against each other or the clothing you wear. Most probably chafing will take place in buttocks as well as thighs. Other areas where the health issue of chafing may develop are groin, feet, armpits as well as nipples.
Here, we have tried to provide all the important information about the problem of skin chafing along with its causes. Read on to know more about the preventing measures, which you can consider to prevent this problem along with the treatment of chafing.
Major causes of chafing
It is important to note than skin is the largest organ of your body. It also plays an effective role in protecting the body from various foreign things such as germs along with heat as well as any type of physical harm to the organs. Therefore, it becomes even more important to take care of your skin as the skin cells, after reaching their limit, can breakdown due to overwork. It is necessary to keep the skin clean and provide enough moisture to the skin to prevent the issue of chafing. Prolonged rubbing with moisture can cause a lot of problems and raise the risk of skin breakdown.
Some of the major causes of chafing are listed below.
- Obesity and overweightness
- Breastfeeding mothers can develop chafing on their nipples due to nursing.
- Chafing may also take place due to diapers as the long time exposure to feces and urine without any airflow may cause the development of chafing on the bottom.
- Inner-thigh chafing may cause due to wearing skirt in humid and hot conditions. Wearing skirts makes the skin of inner thigh to rub on each other without the protection of clothing.
- Chafing may also cause due to wearing ill-fitting clothes. Prolonged rubbing on bra straps, sleeves as well as waistband continuously may cause chafing.
- Activities such as biking as well as cycling or which causes repetitive motion may end up causing the problem of chafing. This is also one of the key reasons behind the development of chafing in athletes at the places where the clothing and skin rubs against each other.
To treat chafing, first of all you need to stop the activity that causes rubbing and irritation to your skin. Wearing comfortable clothing, if the chafing is developing due to clothing, can be helpful. Applying petroleum jelly on the areas, where the chafing is developing is highly recommended.
Some of the measures of treatment, which you can use to treat the problem of chafing are as follows.
- Avoiding activities which causes chafing
- Applying moisturizers such as balm, lotion or oil. Using fragrance-free products is recommended as it is helpful in avoiding irritation.
- Getting some fresh air can also solve the problem of chafing
- You may also use topical steroids for chafing. However, it should only be used if prescribed by the doctor.
How to prevent chafing?
Even though the prevention of chafing is easy and simple, it needs to be done continuously. Chafing can be stopped by stopping the activities, which triggers the problem of chafing. However, following some of major preventive measures can also be done to prevent the problem of chafing.
Some of the important preventive techniques chafing are listed below.
Applying creams, powders as well as oils provides extra protective layer on your body, which is helpful in reducing friction. Smooth skin is less likely to be affected by the problem of chafing. However, it is recommended to use lotion instead of powder as it can clump and make the problem even worse.
Antiperspirant and deodorants helps in preventing sweating and helps in getting rid of it before it causes any problems. Deodorants are also filled with moisturizers, which helps in protecting your skin. Applying a thin layer of deodorants or antiperspirants on the body parts, which you feel might develop chafing before leaving the house may help in preventing chafing.
● Wear right-fitting clothes
Wearing clothes which are proper in size and which does not continuously rub on your skin helps in preventing chafing. It is important to wear fit shoes, shirts as well as pants to prevent the buildup of chafing at feet, chest and waistline respectively.
● Avoid wearing wet clothes
Remove the clothes which are wet such as your swimsuit. Swimming costume, which is tight and wet, can cause chafing by rubbing on your skin. Not only water, you should get rid of the clothes, which can get wet due to sweat as well as rain. This will be helpful in preventing the issue of chafing.
● Air-drying pads for breastfeeding mothers
Keeping your nipple clean and dry, especially you are a breastfeeding mother can be helpful. Also, try to keep it away from the irritating clothing. Opting for soft nursing bras which contains soft pads. Alternatively, you can buy some disposable pads to keep in your bra cups to absorb all the moisturization.
● Adapt yourself according to weather
Adapting with the changes taking place in the climate can be helpful in keeping yourself away from chafing. Exercising in the winters, especially in morning and evening, helps in sweating less and keeps your skin and clothing dry. This is highly helpful in the quest of how to prevent chafing.
NOTE:We inform you that we are not owner of any of the products, images or any other products displaying on our website. But all the articles are written by us and we owned them. If you found any image or product that found under your copyrights then please feel free to CONTACT US. We will remove that image or product as soon as possible. All the images are collected from Google.