If you are experiencing abnormal growth of your skin through a small, thin stalk, known as peduncle then most likely you are having the problem of skin tags. Skin tags are noncancerous, painless growth of the skin. They appear to both men and women and more common after the age of 50. Although these skin can appear anywhere in the body, they develop more on places where your skin folds.
However, there are various ways which you can use on how to get rid of skin tags at your home. If you are experiencing abnormal growth of your skin through a small, thin stalk, known as peduncle then most likely you are having the problem of skin tags. Skin tags are noncancerous, painless growth of the skin.
They appear to both men and women and more common after the age of 50. Although these skin can appear anywhere in the body, they develop more on places where your skin folds. However, there are various ways which you can use on how to get rid of skin tags at your home.
Here, we have discussed all the relevant information related to the removal of skin tags from your body. Read on to get information about the causes, symptoms, treatments as well as prevention of skin tags.
What are Skin Tags?
As mentioned earlier, a skin tag is a growth of the skin which painless as well as noncancerous. They appear on the body in the form of peduncle. They are most common at the parts of your body where skin folds such as.
- Area around breasts
Causes of Skin Tags
There are no significant studies which can show the exact cause of skin tags. According to the experts, skin tags may appear due to friction as they grow on skin folds. These peduncles are made up of blood vessels and collagen which is covered with the layer of skin.
According to a study, human papillomavirus can play a major role in developing of skin tags. The result of the study showed that HPV DNA was found in around 50 samples of the skin tags which were examined.
People who are suffering from type 2 diabetes are also at the risk of developing skin tags due to insulin resistance as they don’t absorb glucose from the bloodstream. Most of the times it leads to high body mass index as well as high triglycerides, which can cause skin tags.
It may also be a symptom of pregnancy due to weight gain. Hormonal imbalance, as well as the endocrine problem, can also cause skin tags.
Some of the major risk factors of skin tags are,
- Family history of skin tag
- Insulin resistance
- Human Papillomavirus
Symptoms of Skin Tags
Skin tags appear on the body as a growth of skin. You can easily see some abnormal growth on your skin folds if you are suffering from skin tags. They don’t convert into skin cancer at all. However, you may have itching or irritation if they get rubbed by your clothing, jewelry as well as other things.
These skin tags are not contagious at all and can have a genetic connection as well. It can also appear on multiple members of your family.
They are completely painless and does not cause any health emergency at all. You can treat them quickly by following some treatments.
How to Identify Skin Tags?
Identifying a skin tag is easy. Skin tags appear in the form peduncle, which, unlike other moles or skin growths, hang off the skin which is smaller than about 2 mm in size. However, few can even grow beyond few centimeters.
They are soft, smooth and round as well as wrinkly and asymmetrical. Although skin tags are of flesh-colored, they can be darker than the color of the skin around it. This may occur due to hyperpigmentation. It may also turn black due to lack of blood. This may happen due to the twisting of skin.
Treatment of skin tags
Removal of Skin Tags
Most of the times skin tags just don’t require any treatment, and they can get rubbed off from the body on their own. However, it is important to remove them if they are causing more problem to you and making you uncomfortable.
Removal of skin tags does not require any anesthesia most of the times. However, your doctor can use local anesthesia while removing large or multiple skin tags.
You should never remove any of your skin tags by your own. This may result in the building of infection, bleeding as well as the formation of burns.
Skin tags can be removed through various ways. It is important, however, to take the help of expert while removing it. Your doctor may suggest following skin tag removal techniques,
1. Surgical Removal
Removal with the help of scissors or scalpel.
Tying it with surgical thread to cut its blood flow.
Releasing of high-frequency electrical energy to burn it.
Freezing it with the help of liquid nitrogen.
Home Remedies To Treat Skin Tags
There are various home remedies available which you can consider while removing skin tags from your body. Some of the major home remedies for skin tag treatment are listed below.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This incredible drink contains antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties and acts effectively in removing skin tags.
- Wash the affected area and dry it.
- Dip a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar.
- Place the cotton ball on skin tags.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
- Use this regularly till the removal of skin tags.
- Don’t use apple cider vinegar for removing skin tags near your eyes.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a traditional medicine to treat a various number of diseases due to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory as well as antibiotic properties. It is also helpful in removing skin tags quickly within few 1-2 weeks after application.
- Apply tea tree oil directly on the skin tags.
- Avoid its contact with the skin around the skin tag.
- If using tea tree oil causing you irritation, use it with other carrier oils such as coconut oil.
- Dilution is required for the people with sensitive skin to remove the risk of further complications while using tea tree oil for skin tag removal treatment.
3. Vitamin E oil
Vitamin E oil can also be applied directly to the skin tag due to its important antioxidant properties.
- Apply the liquid on the skin tags.
- Cover it with the help of bandage
- Change this bandage every day after cleaning the area.
- Use this method regularly.
- Always use high-quality vitamin E oils which have been formulated specifically for the treatment.
Application of liquid iodine on the skin tags, according to few people, results into the falling of skin tag automatically within few days. This may occur due to the health-friendly properties of iodine which helps in breaking down the skin cells of the skin tags.
- Apply iodine liquid directly on the skin tags.
- Avoid applying it on the skin around the tags.
- You can use coconut oil application before applying iodine to do this.
5. Oil of Oregano
Antifungal properties of organic help in getting relief from various skin disorders. This is also helpful in removing skin tags.
- Apply this oil directly on your skin tags.
- Cover it with the help of bandage.
- Use this process regularly.
Garlic is a great health-friendly natural medicine which consists of antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal as well as anti-inflammatory properties. Garlic juice is also helpful in removing skin tags naturally within few days.
- Crush the garlic clove and take in a cotton ball.
- Place this on your skin tag.
- Cover it with a bandage.
- Leave it overnight
- Clean it every day to remove the pungent smell of garlic.
- Use this process regularly with taking two-night breaks between two repetitions.
Prevention of Skin Tags
- Avoid shaving of a skin tag. Although it may not cause any permanent damage, it can result in irritation as well as prolonged bleeding.
- It is important to consult with your doctor immediately if you see painful moles on your skin which can be cancerous. Your doctor can find the exact cause of moles on your body and prescribe medications according to it.