Cankles is a slang word for the condition which appears when your calf as well as ankle in lower led do not have any significant separation. This causes your lower leg to look straight.
This is a common condition if the lower leg muscles are not fully developed. This condition can also occur due to deposition of a lot of adipose tissues or fat on all the lower leg. There are various exercises on how to get rid of cackles which you can try.
Here we have tried to provide all the important information about the condition of cankles from its causes to how you can avoid the development of it. Read on to get details about the development as well as the treatment of the disease through effective ways.
What are Cankles?
As mentioned earlier, cankles are the slang of the condition of lack of significant separation of ankles from a calf in the lower leg. This condition can cause due to a variety of reasons including genetics. Although your body is made up of few unique characteristics which include height, weight as well as body type, you can get rid of cankles through following some techniques such as healthy eating, weight management through trying some effective exercise.
Trying various exercises will also help you turning yourself leaner. It will tone your muscles which are helpful in countering muscle loss caused due to aging.
Causes of Cankles
Here are some of the major causes of cankles.
Occurring of cankles is possible if you have a positive genetic pool of it in your family. Unfortunately, you cannot change your genetic makeup. Storage of fat can take place on your ankles. Additionally, fat reducing techniques does not reduce fat deposits. However, this condition can be treated through following few important ways.
2. Fluid Retention
A diet which is low in protein but high in salt, as well as sodium, can result in the swelling of your ankles. Heavy sodium consumption is also linked to fluid retention in your ankles. It is important to keep your daily intake of sodium between 1500 mg to 2300 mg.
3. Kidney and Heart Failure
Formation of cankles may be one of the symptoms kidney issues or heart failure. It can also result in an edema. The symptom of edema includes a leaving of a dent after pressing the affected area with fingers for 5-6 seconds. This is considered a major sign of swelling. Most of the times, it is linked to heart failure or kidney issues.
Treatment for Cankles
The treatment for cankles is based upon the cause of it. Most of the times, cankles can be treated by reducing your weight, if they are caused by obesity.
1. Counter Obesity
One of the best ways to counter obesity is through decreasing the calorie consumption. It is important to note down how much calories are you consuming every day. If you are doing sedentary work then your calorie consumption should be less than 2,000 per day. It is enough for you to maintain body functions such as producing energy to do mild exercises. You can lose up to 4 pounds of weight just through cutting around 500 calories per day.
Eat salads made with green leafy vegetables. They are considered as the best option for weight loss as they contain low amount of calories and high amount of nutrients especially fiber. However, you will have to choose healthy salad dressings.
Drink a lot of water as well. This will help in curbing the crave of consuming foods.
You can also do some of the important exercises for cankles which will be discussed later in the article.
2. Counter Fluid Retention
It is important to reduce salt or sodium consumption to reduce fluid retention in the body. Sodium which is present in salt causes pulling of water from the cells into the surrounding parts of the body and creates the condition like swelling, which is known as edema. This swelling can be seen on hands, feet, ankles, face, etc.
Eating more fresh meats as well as baked products is important. Some foods such as canned tomato sauce, crackers, salsas as well as pickled vegetables are considered high in sodium. You should always consume sodium in required amounts. The recommended salt-free diet by the doctors is known as DASH diet.
Also, avoid the consumption of peanuts as well as pretzels as both are quite high in salt.
3. Avoid consuming alcohol
Overcontrolled prolonged consumption of alcohol can injure pancreas and liver as the content of ethanol in alcoholic beverages may prove highly toxic. Alcohol or other soda beverages are also rich in sugar and do not contain any other ingredients which can trigger weight gain.
Consumption of beer is also not recommended as a beer can contain sodium and hence can create a lot of problems.
You can try switching to red wine, which is proved as an amazing remedy for blood vessels in the body.
Pregnancy can cause not only weight gain but also the swelling of ankles. Apart from that, it may also cause poor circulation in periods and some abnormal changes in hormonal level which may result in retention of fluid in lower legs.
You can surely control your salt intake to overcome this situation. However, it is also recommended to be patient till you deliver the baby. Most of the times, this condition can go away by itself after giving birth.
Having moderate walks and raising your legs while sitting can help you in reducing edema in your ankles in pregnancy. It is also important to understand that edema can also come and go depending on the menstrual cycle.
5. Wearing of compressional stockings
Various vascular diseases can be treated through the wearing of compression stocking. They are useful in supporting muscles as well as blood vessels which help in reducing edema as well as swelling and boosts circulation.
Put your legs up while resting, watching TV or sitting at the computer will helps in circulation of blood to your legs.Lying down can prove even better.
You can also soak your legs in warm water with Epsom salt. This will help in reducing pain as well as swelling.
Exercises to Get Rid of Cankles
Try the exercises given below to treat the condition of cankles.
1. Weighted calf raises
- Stand straight with taking a distance in between your legs. Keep dumbbells on both hands and keep your arms extended.
- Put all your weight on the balls of your feet.
- Now raise your heels by pushing your body upward.
- Hold it there for few seconds.
- Bring your heels back on the floor.
- Repeat this procedure.
- Keep your legs slightly in bending position. Avoid them keeping in locking position.
- Perform this for 15 repetitions in 3 sets. You can adjust the weights if required.
2. Stair calf raises
- Stand on a stair on your toes.
- Put all the weight on balls of your feet.
- Now push your body upward and elevate your heels.
- Hold the position for few seconds.
- Bring yourself back to the original position.
- Repeat the methods. ○ Avoid locking of knees and keep them in slightly bending position.
- Perform 20 repetitions in 3 sets.
3. Seated calf raises
- In a chair sit comfortably with dumbbells resting on top of the thighs.
- Put pressure on your toes to elevate your heels and to lift the weight upward. ○ Hold this position for a while.
- Bring your heels back on the floor.
- Keep the overall activity controlled with the help of weights on your thighs.
- Perform the exercise in 20 repetitions in 3 sets.
4. Lunge calf raise
- Stand on the floor by keeping your weight near your chest.
- Take a big step forward and best both the legs into 90 degrees of angle.
- Elevate the heel of your front foot a bit.
- Ensure that your knee is moving normally.
- Bring the heel back to the floor.
- Balance your weight appropriately and perform each repetition.
- Repeat the same with your other leg as well.
- Perform 10 repetitions in 3 sets.
5. Jumping ropes
- While jumping on ropes ensure that the rope is passing under your feet
- Keep the elbows close to your body.
- Your heels should not touch the ground.
- Perform 5 sets of 1-minute jumping and take a rest of 30-60 seconds in between.
- You can challenge yourself further by trying advanced methods such as passing the rope twice under your toes.
It is important to switch to a healthy lifestyle to get rid of cankles. Your cankles can get resolved in few days after trying some techniques. It is not considered as a severe health condition and can be treated with some patience.