The common causes of excess phlegm or throat mucus is some allergies as well as the problem of a sore throat. The formation of excess mucus in your body reveals various things which are occurring in your body. Your body produces around 1.5 liters of mucus every day. Although the mucus in throat does not cause any problem usually, during the illnesses the mucus in your body can clog your throat.
What are the causes of mucus in throat?
Some of the major causes of formation of excess mucus in the throat are listed below.
- Cold or flu
If you are suffering with an infection, your mucus can start to thicken. This infection can be cold or flu. The common indication of the infection is the change in the mucus color.
- Post-nasal drip
The situation of dripping of the mucus from the back of the nose in the throat is known as post -nasal drip. It may be a signal of existing allergy, sinusitis as well as vasomotor rhinitis.
- Seasonal allergies
Your mucus level can be changed due to various allergic reactions. You can use antihistamines as well as the elimination of the allergen to remove the infection from the body.
- Acute bronchitis
The inflammation of the bronchial tubes is known as acute bronchitis. This may occur due to the viral as well as bacterial infection. Remember, acute bronchitis, sometimes, can be contagious.
The condition of inflammation of the larynx due to a virus is known as laryngitis.
The most common cause of pneumonia is a lung infection caused by viral as well as bacterial infection.
Sinus inflammation due to viral, bacterial as well as a fungal infection is known as sinusitis.
The infection of tonsils due to various infections is known as tonsillitis.
This problem may also occur due to various other reasons such as strep throat, mononucleosis, air pollution, smoking, anxiety and chemical inhalants along with tuberculosis, pharyngitis, epiglottitis as well as croup.
Symptoms of mucus in throat
The symptoms of the mucus are depend upon the causes of the formation of excess phlegm in the body. As mentioned earlier, excess mucus takes place in the body due to viral, bacterial as well as fungal infection. The common symptoms include,
- Runny nose
- Itchy eyes
- Breathing difficulties
Is mucus in the throat a serious health issue?
Usually, mucus in your body which is clear and thin is known as the safest. The problem of mucus formation is also not considered severe and can be treated along with some proper medications.
However, this can become a serious issue. Some are the major signs which you should consider whether your mucus problem has become serious are as follows.
- Mucus is thin and clear
An indication of a cold allergy as well as the sign of medication side effect or a reaction to the consumption of certain foods.
- Colored and thick mucus
One of the common sign of thick mucus is dryness. If you are having a mucus in green, yellow or brownish, it can be one of the signs of bacterial infection.
- Sound in chest
The mucus which is dripping down in your chest may prove difficult to swallow and cause a rattling sound which can be an indication of pneumonia.
- Burning sensation
The burning sensation due to mucus, it can be a sign of heartburn as well as GERD.
What are the foods that are good and bad for your throat mucus?
Consumption of certain foods might cause the problem of excess throat mucus, while some foods may provide relief from it. Some of the common foods which may trigger and counter the condition are listed below.
Foods which cause excess mucus production
- Dairy products such as milk, ice cream, yogurt and cheese
- High fat processed as well as red meat
- Caffeine, which is found in soda
- Vegetables and fruits such as cabbage, banana and potatoes
- Gluten products
Foods helps in relieving excess mucus
- Olive oil
- Chicken soup
- Fatty fishes such as tuna, lake trout, herring and salmo
- Vegetables and fruits such as celery, garlic, parsley, onions, berries, oranges, winter squash, greens, broccoli, Brussels, peppers and sprouts.
How to get rid of mucus in throat?
Following some healthy lifestyle changes and natural home remedies might be highly useful in treating the condition of mucus in throat. Some of the major points are listed below.
- Applying warm compress on your face is helpful in relieving pain erupts from the sinus pressure.
- Sleeping by keeping your head elevated helps in preventing the building of mucus.
- Eliminate dryness from the air by using a humidifier.
- Boil water and inhale the steam by covering your head.
- Cover your face during colder temperatures to prevent sinuses from the temperature changes.
- Drink a lot of water. It is recommended to drink warm water as well as tea.
- Drinking herbal tea is also highly healthy. It eliminates the mucus as well as you can inhale the steam too.
- Avoid the contact with the irritants. Quitting smoking, staying indoors during high allergen times as well as keeping your home tidy and clean along with wearing mask can also be highly useful.
- The use of various over-the-counter medications such as antihistamines, decongestant, medicated and saline nasal sprays are also highly useful.
- Consume a mixture made up of hot water, some whiskey, honey, fresh lemon is highly helpful in getting relief from the congestion.
You can also use distilled as well as saline water to rinse the nasal passages. Inserting Neti pot in the nostril and letting the solution run through it and out helps in eliminating irritants as well as germs.
NOTE:We inform you that we are not owner of any of the products, images or any other products displaying on our website. But all the articles are written by us and we owned them. If you found any image or product that found under your copyrights then please feel free to CONTACT US. We will remove that image or product as soon as possible. All the images are collected from Google.