Clubbing of fingers is known as changes in the shape of the fingers as well as nails, which may cause due to the thickening of the nail plate. There are a lot of things which can cause the condition of finger clubbing. Sometimes, it can also be a sign of any underlying disease. It is important to get rid of the problem of clubbed fingers as soon as possible to prevent any further complications.
What has clubbed fingers?
The clubbing of fingers, as well as toes, means the enlargement of the ends of the fingers and toes in spherical as well as curled shapes, due to the swelling of tissues. It also causes the spongy appearance to the base of the nail as well as the nail plate.
The more severe condition of clubbed fingers known as hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, which involves the painful development of connective tissues. This inflammation may cause along with other symptoms such as fever, joint pain as well as a large amount of fluid accumulation in the synovial area of the joint. Other conditions which may appear are bluish skin discoloration along with sweating.
The clubbing of fingers of toes can affect both the sides and usually no pain is associated with the problem of clubbing of fingers. It also softens the layer of the cells under the nails and may cause the movement of nails this may cause the inflammation and will increase the pain.
What are the symptoms of clubbed fingers?
There are various symptoms of the problem of clubbed fingers. Some of the major clubbed finger symptoms are listed below.
- Softening of the nails along with an appearance of dislocation of nails from the nail bed and looks like floating.
- The tips of fingers become enlarged.
- Increasing of the angle between the cuticle and the nail and appears that they are in the straight line.
- The finger tips also become red as well as warm.
- The curving of the nail in a downward direction is also experienced.
The condition of clubbed fingers can also be one of the signs of an underlying disease such as problems with the heart, lung as well as an endocrine system.
What causes the clubbing of fingers?
Most of the times, the problem of clubbing of fingers is linked with the conditions which reduce the oxygen concentration in the blood. We have listed below some of the major causes of clubbed fingers.
- Lung cancer is considered as one of the most common causes of clubbed fingers. Lung cancer affects the breathing ability and causes various difficulties. This results in the concentration of oxygen in the blood.
- Another major cause of clubbed fingers is pulmonary fibrosis. This condition is linked with the development of fibrous tissues instead of normal lung tissues, which causes the reduction of dropping of a concentration of oxygen in the blood.
- Tetralogy of Fallot or the condition of congenital anomaly is also a health condition which may cause the problem of clubbed fingers.
- The cancer of the lymphatic system is known as Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. This is also linked with the clubbing of fingers. This may also cause mild fever, enlarged lymph nodes as well as night sweats.
- A cardiac problem, as well as heart valve disease, can also cause the condition of clubbed fingers.
- Liver cirrhosis can also result into the clubbing of fingers.
- The inability of small intestines in absorbing gluten or celiac disease, which is an autoimmune disease can also cause clubbing of fingers.
How to get rid of clubbed fingers?
The treatment of clubbed fingers is more focused on treating the underlying cause. While chemotherapy or radiation can be used to treat the condition of cancer, surgery may be done to treat the problem of congenital cardiac disorders.
Apart from this, there are some treatments which you can use to get rid of the problem of clubbed fingers along with the underlying cause. Some of the major treatments to reduce the effect of clubbed fingers are listed below.
● Oxygen therapy
You can opt for the inhalation of hyperbaric oxygen for the period of an hour every day is considered highly useful to increase the concentration of oxygen in the blood.
● Do not use aerosol sprays
Avoid the use of aerosol sprays which can help in the treatment of inflammation of the lung caused due to the exposure of the toxins. You can also use masks while working to reduce the risks of asbestosis.
● Homeopathic drugs
Various homeopathic drugs such as Drosera as well as Antim Tart can be highly useful in reducing the risk of lung fibrosis. However, it is recommended to consult with your doctor before consuming these homeopathic drugs.
● Breathing exercises
Performing simple breathing exercises are also helpful in improving the lung capacity and help in countering the low oxygen concentration. You can also try out some yoga exercises for better benefits.
● Balanced healthy diet
The consumption of a balanced diet with healthy food products consisting of green leafy vegetables considered highly beneficial in improving the hemoglobin levels in the blood, which is also helpful in improving the oxygen concentration.
The clubbing of fingers is not considered as a severe health issue and usually, it does not require any treatment. It can get resolved by its own. However, there are some major health issues which can prove highly harmful and may cause some serious situations.
Following some important therapies might help in getting rid of the problem of clubbed fingers. Some of the severe health conditions include lung cancer as well as pulmonary fibrosis.
It is important to follow a healthy lifestyle in order to get rid of clubbed fingers. You should not only perform some important exercises but also should start to consume healthy diet consists of various health friendly foods.
By Prajakt K.