‘Ayurveda’ is known for thousands of years as a powerful mind-body health system. Sages of India have developed ‘ayurveda’ thousands of years ago before modern medicine came into existence. ‘Ayur’ means life and ‘veda’ means science or knowledge. It is not a mere cure for illness. It offers the wisdom of staying healthy and realizing ones full potential. Ayurvedic detox cleanse is one key of Ayurveda to have toxin free health.
Ayurveda detox cleanse focuses on driving toxins and impurities from the body out of the digestive tract. The end of the ayurvedic detox cleanse can be a balance and the attainment of overall health.
Ayurvedic detox cleanse can benefit you in certain ways :
- Any struggle with digestion ends.
- Your suffering from constipation, loose stools or irregular bowel movements is overcome.
- The problem of frequently lacking energy or becoming exhausted dissipates.
- Anxiety or stress is driven.
- Trouble having sleep ends.
- Your problem of unable to focus ends.
- You stop being lazy.
An ayurvedic detox drink
- Restores a sense of calmness and peace to the mind and nervous system.
- Improves mental, physical and spiritual health.
- Improves a sense of vitality and increases energy levels.
- Helps maintain a healthy body weight.
- Prepares the tissues for deep nourishment and rejuvenation.
- Promotes overall health.
Between winter and spring it is the ideal time to do an internal cleansing program to allow your body to release the toxins that may have built up during the whole winter. To do this avoid ama-producing foods and eat ama-reducing foods.
1) Avoid ama-producing foods
‘Ama’ is the product of incomplete digestion. It represents sticky toxic matter. It can clog the channels of your body that carry nutrients to the cells and waste out of the body. The cleansing is done to send ‘ama’ out of the body. Foods such as leftovers, dead foods such as processed, packaged, canned, frozen foods, all create ‘ama’ because they are difficult for your body to digest according to Ayurveda.
Non organic foods, genetically modified foods, foods grown with chemicals, pesticides and chemical fertilizers and foods with additives introduce toxins into the body. These foods confuse the intelligence of the natural digestive system.
Also avoid heavy dairy products such as hard cheese or yogurt, foods that are deep fried or oily, raw foods of any kind, heavy desserts, and foods that contain refined sugar or honey, as they are hard to digest and also create ‘ama’.
2) Eat ama-reducing foods
Look for vegetarian foods that are light, warm, cooked and easily digestible. Freshly-made flat breads, freshly made light soups, lentils, organic vegetables cooked with spices and freshly made spices are ama-reducing foods.
Certain fruits, vegetables and spices are helpful during cleansing. Eat one or two servings during the preparation and cleansing phases.
- Fruits : Eat cooked prunes and figs at breakfast along with a stewed apple or pear. In general, most sweet juicy fruits are good cleansers.
- Vegetables : Eat lot of cooked leafy greens. Chop the greens and cook them with a detox spice mix. Brussel sprouts and cabbage are also helpful.
- Grains : Quinoa, barley and rice are helpful. Kanji made with boiling rice and water is an excellent hot beverage and helpful for eliminating toxins out of the body through the urine.
- Spices : Ginger, turmeric, coriander, fennel and fenugreek help open up the channels and flush out the toxins through the skin, urinary tract, colon and liver. Add spices to soups and lentils as they cook.
- A combination of yogurt and water mixed well is an excellent lunch time beverage.
Drink plenty of hot water during the day
Warm water flushes out the toxins out of the body through urine. To derive healing effects and health benefits from the water you drink, add detoxifying spices to the water.
However, you can do a detox cleanse for one day or three days or a week. The diet is however different. This detox cleanse can help you in general.
After you have finished your detox cleanse, your digestive system will be used to a clean diet. A slow transition back to your normal routine has to take place. You get all the health benefits by this time. This is not the time to celebrate with bear or pizza. Start eating simple whole foods initially.
Supportive lifestyle during your cleanse
- Keep your activities as quiet and mindful as possible.
- Surround yourself with things that you find nourishing.
- Minimize stress and your exposure to disturbing situations.
- If intense emotions arise, greet your emotions with compassion and love.
- Rest as much possible. You have to allow the body to cleanse and not waste its stamina in other activities.
This ayurvedic detox cleanse must act as a helpful guide to you to send toxins and impurities from the body and help you gain overall health.
By Pradeepa Polineni