The problem of acid reflux occurs when the digestive acid in the stomach flows back to the throat due to improper closing or sudden opening of lower esophageal sphincter (LES), which differentiates stomach and esophagus. This causes the burning sensation in the throat due to digestive acids. Treatment of acid reflux can be done through natural remedies. Experts recommend using apple cider vinegar to treat acid reflux.
Acid reflux or heartburn may cause due to the lack of digestive acid in the stomach for breaking down and digesting the food. This causes irritation to the esophageal wall which may lead to heartburn or acid reflux. The health-friendly properties of ACV act as amazing apple cider vinegar heartburn remedy.
We have provided all the information about using apple cider vinegar for acid reflux as well as its side effects and some important tips as well as precautions.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar helpful in Acid Reflux?
There are various benefits of apple cider vinegar for acid reflux due to which it is a great remedy to treat heartburn. Those benefits are as follows.
- Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature and helps in breaking the fats by providing aid to the digestion. Along with it the alkaline-based digestive properties also help in boosting digestion.
- It helps in preventing acid reflux by balancing the pH levels of LES as well as stomach and promotes the better breakdown of food indigestion.
- ACV is also providing important minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium which helps in digestion as well as weight loss.
- It also helps in supplying enough acids to the LES for its proper functioning.
- Regular consumption of ACV helps in improving digestion as well as absorbing important minerals, helpful in reducing the effect of acid reflux.
- Along with providing various important health-friendly vitamins and minerals, apple cider vinegar promotes an alkaline environment in the body, which eliminates all the harmful bacteria in the body.
Best Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar to treat acid reflux
1. Water with ACV
- In a glass of water add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- You can drink this before having meals or whenever heartburn occurs.
- You are free to add some honey to it for taste.
- You can add this as salad dressings, in smoothies or while cooking.
2. Baking soda with apple cider vinegar
Baking soda helps in neutralizing acid in apple cider vinegar. The combination of apple cider vinegar and baking soda in water provides important nutritional benefits.
- In some water add ½ teaspoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- After stirring it properly drink it on empty stomach for at least 4-5 days to use apple cider vinegar for acid reflux.
The richness of potassium in honey helps it in neutralizing stomach acids which help in curing acid reflux.
- In a water mix honey and apple cider vinegar in equal amounts.
- Sip this mixture to cure the symptoms of acid reflux.
- Whenever heartburn occurs, drink this mixture.
4. Apple cider Vinegar with Cayenne Powder
- Add some cayenne powder to the apple cider vinegar.
- Mix it well
- Drink it to use apple cider vinegar for acid reflux.
These remedies of apple cider vinegar to relieve acid reflux symptoms also helpful in treating various other acidity problems. You can also use white vinegar for acid reflux treatment. White vinegar is also helpful in breaking down the food and acids and promotes better digestion.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar into a glass of water.
- Mix it properly to get rid of acid reflux.
- Drink this juice to get rid of heartburn or acid reflux.
- You can also add white vinegar to juices, salad dressings, smoothies as well as in various other food items.
Apple cider vinegar for acid reflux with mother
The raw, organic, unpasteurized, unfiltered and unheated apple cider vinegar contains important mother enzymes which contain various important nutrients and is highly beneficial for the prevention of acid reflux.
To drink it, add around 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in water and drink it. It treats the problem of acid reflux or heartburn effectively. You can use any brand of apple cider vinegar which contains mother in it.
Possible side effects of Using Apple Cider Vinegar for acid reflux
It is important to keep apple cider vinegar acid reflux dosage in check to save yourself from apple cider vinegar acid reflux side effects. Various people experience side effects after consuming apple cider vinegar in more than required amounts. These side effects include,
- Tooth erosion
- Throat irritation
- Decreased amount of potassium
- Blood thinning
Other important risks of consuming apple cider vinegar are,
- The reaction of apple cider vinegar with certain medicines such as diuretics and laxatives as well as various heart disease medications.
- You should avoid the consumption of apple cider vinegar if you are having ulcers. This can complicate the situation even more.
- Consumption of apple cider vinegar even after diluting in water can wear down tooth enamel.
Tips and precautions While using ACV to cure Acid Reflux
- As the consumption of apple cider vinegar causes damage to the enamel due to acidic nature of the drink, consume it with the help of a straw.
- Rinse your mouth well after consumption of apple cider vinegar.
- Do not consume caffeinated beverages causes weakening of LES muscles.
- Do not eat foods such as tomatoes, citrus as well as peppers which cause irritation to the esophagus.
- Eat small meals more and consume apple cider vinegar indigestion treatment.
- To get rid of heartburn or acid reflux completely avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol.
You can also prevent the problem of acid reflux through conventional medicines as well as with the help of some lifestyle changes. However, conventional medicines, sometimes, cause various side effects due to its chemical content like an injury to the esophagus. To overcome this, making changes in your lifestyle is recommended. Important lifestyle changes to prevent acid reflux are,
- Consumption of meals in smaller amounts
- Avoiding foods and beverages which cause heartburn
- Avoiding smoking
- Taking a walk after having a meal and exercising regularly.
- Avoiding sleeping flat on the bed.