“Abhyangam Achareth nithyam sarveshu angeshu pushtidam.
Shiraha sravana paadeshu tam visheshena seelayet”
Abhyanga is a form of Ayurvedic medicine that involves massage of the body with large amounts of warm oil,that is often pre-medicated with herbs for specific conditions. Abhyanga can be done as part of panchakarma therapy, especially in the first stage, Purva Karma (pre-treatment) or as its own therapy.
It is often followed by svedana therapy, a warm bath, yoga or laying out in the sun and hence known as Abhyangasnanam. Abhyanga is performed by two or more massage therapists who work in tandem, synchronizing their strokes and massage according to the circulatory and marma points for around sixty minutes. Oils used can vary depending on the season and the individuals constitution (prakrti), The commonly used oils include sesame, coconut, sunflower, mustard and almond.
Abhyangasnanam is an oil massage to facilitate the absorption of oil in the skin. Once the oil has been absorbed in the skin, a warm water bath is taken. By applying oil to the skin, it retains elasticity. Warm water is auspicious and pleasing to the body. Bathing after an oil massage retains only the required amount of oiliness that the skin and hair require.
Procedure for Abhyangasnanam
- Sit on the Abhyanga table with leg extended.
- The oil is heated to optimum comfortable temperature and applied over the head,ears and soles of feet.
- Then the oil is applied uniformly with mild pressure throughout the body by the two masseurs standing on both sides of the table
- Massage will started from scalp,head and move down to neck,upper back,shoulders,upper arms,fore arms,hands and then chest,abdomen,low back and lower limbs.
Benefits of Abhyanga Snanam
- Improves blood circulation
- Detoxifies the body
- Promotes sound sleep
- Increases energy
- Relaxes body
- Good for anxiety, stress, eczema, psoriasis and muscle fatigue
- Keeps us healthy & fit
- Allievates aggravation of vata.
- Relieves body pains and joint pains
- Builds enthusism, keeps us alert and sharp, relieves mental fatigue
- Delays ageing process
- Tones the muscles, joints and soft tissues and makes them immune against many related ailments.
- Makes skin beautiful…improves color and complexion
- Good for eyes and improves eye sight