Walking is a great way to improve overall health. Just 30 minutes of walking every day can have various health benefits including heart health and reducing body fat. Walking, unlike, other exercises does not need any training or equipment. It can be done at any time of the day. It is a good form of physical activity for those who are overweight or elderly. Some walking tips might help you to do better.
Best Walking Tips
Benefits of walking
- Increases cardiovascular and lung fitness
- Reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Improves hypertension
- Reduces cholesterol
- Reduces joint and muscle pain
- Makes bones stronger
- Reduces body fat
Some suggestions to add walking into your daily routine
- Take the stairs instead of lift
- Try walking to the nearby stores.
- Take the dog to your neighbor.
- Get off public transport one stop near and start walking.
- Do things for yourself at home. Get your own glass of coffee or water.
Safety measures while walking
- See your doctor before starting any new fitness program especially if you have not exercised for long or if you are over 40 years of age or overweight.
- Take walks that suit your age and fitness level.
- Wear appropriate footwear to avoid any blisters.
- Wear sunglasses, sunscreen, long sleeves to avoid sunburn.
- Take waterproof clothing in case it may rain.
- Check the weather forecast and take appropriate measures.
Some walking tips for good results are here for you
1How to get started
Aim to walk in the morning. Or you may be fatigued in the evening or afternoon. To make your morning routine easy, put a banana before your bed so you can have it and start immediately as soon as you wake up from bed. If you cannot get up in the morning for a walk, do walking during a lunch break for a while.
2Track your progress
If you keep a watch on your walk, you can increase your walking time. Men and women walked 15 % more when they used a pedometer and wrote about it in a dairy. When you use pedometer but do not track your progress, you may not do for more. The walkers who used pedometers walked more the next day when they continued to write about their walking pattern. Doing this gives a feedback on your activity levels. It may give you more confidence and lead to reaching your personal goal.
3Walk listening to music
Now you may download some of your favorite songs. When you are not enough interested to walk and your walking schedule is not going on well, music is the best idea. When people walked with fast-beat music, they walked for 15 % more. Music improves the participants mood, and makes them focused. It can help them forget tiredness and move more efficiently.
Add some inches to your walk that can burn more calories. But at the same time, you can burn more calories when you walk faster. Walking on level ground burns less calories. Walking up the hill needs more effort that burns more calories. Walking up a hill can boost bone density and will tone up glutes, hamstrings and calves. Try hilly routes at least two times a week . If you do not have hills in your town, try walking up the school stadium steps of a local school.
5Set a goal
Setting goals may provide the plan you need to stick to your exercise plan. According to a journal, when you set realistic, time-specific goals as to how long to do or daily or weekly, you may exercise regularly. The goal setting may make you motivated to make time for walking. When you plan a goal plan as to how much to walk or how long to increase your activity level, that burns more calories.
6Make your walks enjoyable
Feeling that your workout is too tough can leave you with an unexpected weight gain. As per a study, overweight women who felt the walk difficult increased in weight again.Those who found it easier lost weight. This happens when the people feel negative about the exercise and so exercise less actually. Find a way to make walk a fun. When you do not like something you cannot stick to it. If you show interest you can do it regularly. To like it, take a friend with you once in a whole or take a new route to walk .
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk down the office to speak to someone rather than the phone.
- Take a break of five minutes to walk.
- Find time for walk whenever possible.
Walking is a good exercise for people of all ages and abilities. Keeping in mind all the walking tips, you can get the best walking experience and best results.